Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify please.

Options
  • 20-10-2012 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭

This appeared in the garden last year its about 5 foot tall.

2012_10_13_133046.jpg

2012_10_13_133035.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

That is Leycesteria formosa aka Phesant berry or hymalayan honeysuckle, nice shrub and the berries are good eating for the birds, can grow to 8 feet . (I imagine a bird pooped the seed in your garden)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I've 2 of those. I cut them down in the Spring and ket them regrow each year,The birds love them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭ericl

Thanks for the info i'll separate it in spring and move to other parts of the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

ericl wrote: »
    Thanks for the info i'll separate it in spring and move to other parts of the garden.

If the ones in my garden are typical you may not need to.
    They seed prolifically - so much so that I now just pull them up and toss them in the compost. Might be worth while looking for some small ones come spring and potting them up/transplanting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,462 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its a lovely plant and the birds love them, They will grow from a bit of stick stuck in the ground! As was already suggested, cut them down over the winter and let them re-sprout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

known as phesants eye here and mine died last year after the severe weather.

Advertisement