Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin now the mildest county in Ireland.

Options
  • 20-10-2012 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all, thought you might have been interested in this. I've been working on a research project on the heat island effect in modern day urban areas. As part of this we looked at different area in Ireland both rural and urban and observed how average temperatures have been affected in both. There has been a general warming patter in all areas but none like that seen in Dublin.

In the last 20 years the average temperature has raised by 2.5C within the M50 area, compared to 0.3-0.5 in rural areas. One staggering example is that during the big freeze of November to December 2010 the lowest temperature recorded within the M50 was only -2.3C compared to almost -17 in order areas. Temperature only go below zero 4 times a year in the city on average since 2005.

When compared to all other stations, this makes Dublin city the mildest area in Ireland due to the heat Island affect, dragging the counties average up to be the highest in Ireland over the three winter months.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

That minus 2.3c as the lowest recorded figure within the freeze of 2010 seems optimistic. I'd wager plenty of parts within the M50 around Dublin 14/16/18 were much colder.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Dublin the mildest county in Ireland.

Is there anybody from outside of Dublin that's really surprised at this ? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Hi all, thought you might have been interested in this. I've been working on a research project on the heat island effect in modern day urban areas. As part of this we looked at different area in Ireland both rural and urban and observed how average temperatures have been affected in both. There has been a general warming patter in all areas but none like that seen in Dublin.

In the last 20 years the average temperature has raised by 2.5C within the M50 area, compared to 0.3-0.5 in rural areas. One staggering example is that during the big freeze of November to December 2010 the lowest temperature recorded within the M50 was only -2.3C compared to almost -17 in order areas. Temperature only go below zero 4 times a year in the city on average since 2005.

When compared to all other stations, this makes Dublin city the mildest area in Ireland due to the heat Island affect, dragging the counties average up to be the highest in Ireland over the three winter months.

Not to seem rude or anything, but saying that -2.3C was the lowest temperature recorded within the M50 during the Dec cold spell is completely an utterly false. Countless posters on this forum and others will agree with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What utter nonsense, it was between -11 and -15C on Christmas morning of 2010 alone, in Stillorgan and Dundrum. Your -2.3C must have been over the vent of a bakery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

patneve2 wrote: »
    Not to seem rude or anything, but saying that -2.3C was the lowest temperature recorded within the M50 during the Dec cold spell is completely an utterly false. Countless posters on this forum and others will agree with me.

Not to mention that snow-cover accentuates the albedo effect, causing air temperatures to fall more. If -2.3C was the lowest temp recorded during the Dec cold spell then I'm the pope

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

What stations are you using? Care to post any of your data?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Climatician

Not to seem rude or anything, but I'm the one doing the scientific research project. Remember, home weathers station, handheld and car thermometer are worth nothing in cold weather. The material they are made out of lose energy rapidly giving massively false temperature readings.

All my readings are verified. I think the problem here is that weather enthusiast hate to think it wasnt as bad as they would like to think in their area.

Su Campu wrote: »
    What stations are you using? Care to post any of your data?

Im sorry but it's ongoing research, data will available once published. Hope you understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Min at Pheonix Park was -10.8C and Merrion Square -7.6C?

Page 13

http://www.met.ie/climate/monthlyBulletins/dec10_lores.pdf

Im sorry but it's ongoing research, data will available once published. Hope you understand.
    No, I don't actually. Which stations are you using for your data? Simple question.

• Advertisement

Actually I think this guy is a troll

Su Campu wrote: »
    No, I don't actually. Which stations are you using for your data? Simple question.

That's your problem. All the ones designated for use as climate change research stations. The list is not public so I cannot elaborate further.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

captain%2520barbosa%2520believe%2520in%2520troll%2520threads.jpg

That's your problem. All the ones designated for use as climate change research stations. The list is not public so I cannot elaborate further.

Ah, now I get it. You're talking about another Dublin, on YOUR planet! Who do you think you're coddin, wha?:rolleyes:!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Any 'researcher on Dublin weather' who does not know the Phoenix Park is inside the M50 and that PP data back to around 1870 is in the public domain .... is nothing but a troll. :D

And whoosh....he vanishes.

One of the worst attempts at trolling I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Conor30

His data simply has no backing. A simple check on temperature records would show that temps in Dublin city fell lower than -2.3 C in Nov - Dec 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭weathermaiden

This is obviously such a top secret investigation that "Climatician" decided to share it on the very PUBLIC boards.ie. Seems legit. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

It would be good practice though to show the source of data or even just allude to the station names/locations etc that you have used in your research as it seems to be a pretty controversial finding.

For what it is worth, here is the average number of days with frost (winter months only) since 2005 at 4 of the publically available Dublin stations (from met.ie)

Casement Aero: 24.5
    Phoenix Park: 24.4
    Dublin Apt: 23.4
    Merrion Sq: 10.0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

The OP is spot on with everything he says. I too have data (which I can not share) But I will share it when my research is finished in 2026. If your data is different it's because your equipment is cheap and my Daddy is bigger than yours. I will come back in here and proved that Dublin maintained weeks of snow on the ground will keeping the temp at a cool -2.3

I must go now, my people need me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Conor30

Nabber wrote: »
    The OP is spot on with everything he says. I too have data (which I can not share) But I will share it when my research is finished in 2026. If your data is different it's because your equipment is cheap and my Daddy is bigger than yours. I will come back in here and proved that Dublin maintained weeks of snow on the ground will keeping the temp at a cool -2.3

Haha, but has you not notice that the temperature patter has raised up in the last few years in Dublin at my secret weather stations? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Mods, please move to Creative Writing forum.

Nabber wrote: »
    The OP is spot on with everything he says. I too have data (which I can not share)
    I wouldn't expect any less of you Nabber :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Doesn't really make sense when you consider that the South West / South Coast is definitely considerably milder than the East Coast.

There's a heat island effect in Dublin City Centre and a significant (smaller) one in Cork City Centre due to their concentration of buildings and relatively sheltered locations but it disappears very quickly once you get a couple of km out as there is very little serious density even in the close suburban areas. Ireland urban areas are largely suburban houses with gardens.

You need a really large, dense area with much more tightly packed buildings to get a serious heat island effect. No Irish urban area is likely to be in that league other than their very central historic cores.

The other thing is that the counties aren't equally sized. Dublin is quite a small area with a relatively narrow range of temp compared to say Cork or Kerry.

Also, considering the temps reached in the suburbs of Dublin not to mention rural Dublin - north of the County and the Dublin mountains are pretty chilly at times!!

Not quite sure what the OP was on about.

You'd have to define Dublin as only the Dublin 1 and 2 postal districts to see that kind of effect really. Certainly nothing outside the canals!

Why are we still even entertaining this troll? He obviously has issues (writing proper English being one).

Time of year for the trolls to gather in here. Pity they won't hibernate till easter. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Looking at the weather stats from ME Dublin Airport had some of the coldest readings during the frosty nights of December 10.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Gotta hand it to him, he had us going :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Sandymount, Dublin, 2011

090911_blog_frozen_car.jpg

Looks a little colder than -2.3

• Advertisement

That photo is from Geneva.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement