Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extend Home LAN with wifi

Options
  • 20-10-2012 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've a UPC 3925 (Cisco) broadband router and am using homeplugs to extend the LAN to a few other PC/PS3s in the house. But the wiring is old and the speed is fairly bad.

One option is to use wifi for all to connect to the router, but I'd prefer to see if I can use wired connections for some of the devices.

Can I use a 2nd router (an old WRT54G3G) as a hub for the PC/PS3 and let the wifi on the WRT "uplink" to the UPC router?

The WRT is compatable with the DD-WRT fiwmare, but if I have to bridge the 2 then I'll loose wifi functionality (and home phone) on the UPC router?

Basically, I want to use the linksys as a hub, but let it use its wifi as its uplink to the cisco (UPC).

Comments

Advertisement