Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melba toast

Options
  • 20-10-2012 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Can anyone advise where to get pre made Melba toast. Seen it somewhere recently but can't find it in any of the supermarkets

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Make it yourself!

Under a grill, toast both sides of a slice of white bread. Place the slice of toast on your kitchen top and put your hand on top.

Using a bread knife, slice the toast in two width wise.

Put the untoasted sides under the grill.

Easy pessy! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Saw them in dunnes yesterday, on the crackers aisle

• Registered Users Posts: 22,336 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Make it yourself!

Under a grill, toast both sides of a slice of white bread. Place the slice of toast on your kitchen top and put your hand on top.

Using a bread knife, slice the toast in two width wise.

Put the untoasted sides under the grill.

Easy pessy! ;)
    You could have been clearer in your instructions.

Edit: Seriously though (and this is probably heresy in this forum...) - wouldn't regular sliced pan toasted in the normal manner qualify, given that sliced pan probably did not exist when this was invented?

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I toast my 'regular sliced pan', remove the crusts, slice it in half diagonally and then laterally to make 4 thin triangles. Then I put it uncooked side up under the grill so it dries out and curls up at the edges making it really good for scooping up paté etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Esel wrote: »
    You could have been clearer in your instructions.

Edit: Seriously though (and this is probably heresy in this forum...) - wouldn't regular sliced pan toasted in the normal manner qualify, given that sliced pan probably did not exist when this was invented?

Regular sliced pan isn't thin enough, that's why you have to slice in half width wise (or laterally as wiki puts it!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Regular sliced pan isn't thin enough, that's why you have to slice in half width wise (or laterally as wiki puts it!)

I agree, but you could experiment with a very thin slice of sliced pan and put it under a very low grill, so it dries out and crisps up all the way through.

Mind you, cutting it laterally and grilling the inside is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I have bought it in both Dunnes and Supervalu recently. It is always in the cracker section near the ryevitta.

Advertisement