Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

second hand harddrive advice

• 20-10-2012 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

hi every1,,i'm buying a second hand external hdd,and just wondering what should i check for before i actully buy it,,,i know very little bout this ,so any advice and i would be greatfull,,,thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,944 ✭✭✭JDxtra

You'd be better of buying new. Hard drives fail, so there is a risk of getting a dud - or one that hasn't had the best care taken of it. Definitely only get new if it is for backups of any type.

Otherwise, plug it in and check it shows up as a drive. Check the power lead (if it comes with one) and connections for any damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

patrickc68 wrote: »
    should i check for before i actully buy it

You should definitely do that. You can run HD Tune from a USB stick and run an error scan (this may take a couple of hours, depending on the size of the disk). Better safe than sorry.

You would be nuts to buy a used HDD unless it was for peanuts or was still in warranty.

There's certain things you can look for in the SMART data which will give you an idea of the age and health of the drive, such as power on hours, reallocated sectors, pending sectors etc. But unless you already know how to interpret these from experience then they're going to be of no use to you, its not something you can just understand from a post in a forum.

And even then its just a best guess. HDDs can die at any moment. Even a brand new HDD off the shelf. Which is why a warranty is essential if you're paying any kind of money for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

In peats today ,i say drive 1 tb, 1000 gig 80 euro.
    if you are buying one ,it should be very cheap,
    if you have critical data on it, backup important files ,data.
    if you hear any grinding,clicking noise dont buy it.
    copy 200gig file to it.do you hear any noise when its copying.noise may mean drive is close to failing.almost dead.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/using-windows-7-how-do-i-run-chkdsk/a68b3e4d-1a42-e011-9767-d8d385dcbb12

Advertisement