Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question about wireless card.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

In a word, yes.

Unless you already have the two PCI slots in use. ;)

Edit: I remember you from the other thread. This card is rather old and it only supports Wireless N draft (not the official standard) and Windows 7 is not supported (although chances are that it will work with the Windows Vista drivers).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Torqay wrote: »
    In a word, yes.

Unless you already have the two PCI slots in use. ;)

Edit: I remember you from the other thread. This card is rather old and it only supports Wireless N draft (not the official standard) and Windows 7 is not supported (although chances are that it will work with the Windows Vista drivers).

Any chance you could suggest a good card I could order from komplett or dabs that will work with my board and is up to date.

Why don't you check your original thread? The TP Link card I posted there is available from Dabs (€38) and your board has a PCIe x1 slot.

Edit: here's the link. Here's another one.

You still haven't answered the question re your WLAN router. Even the best WLAN N card is useless if your router doesn't support the standard.

Why don't you check your original thread? The TP Link card I posted there is available from Dabs (€38) and your board has a PCIe x1 slot.

Edit: here's the link. Here's another one.

You still haven't answered the question re your WLAN router. Even the best WLAN N card is useless if your router doesn't support the standard.

It's a Cisco 2425 router that UPC provide.
    I should be getting a router upgrade I upgrade to 50 meg during the week.

Not to sure if it supports the N protocol, if it doesn't what's my next step, can the card still be used I've ordered it already.

Thanks for the help

It's a Cisco 2425 router that UPC provide.
    I should be getting a router upgrade I upgrade to 50 meg during the week.

Not to sure if it supports the N protocol, if it doesn't what's my next step, can the card still be used I've ordered it already.

Thanks for the help

Well, you better make sure, the "router upgrade" also includes WLAN 802.11n, because the Cisco EPC2425 does not support the new standard. 802.11g (up to 54 Mbit/s) is all it does. Even the greatest and fastest WLAN N adapter can only work as fast as the router at the other end. Your new card will work alright (they're usually backwards compatible) but it won't be faster than a WLAN G adapter.

If UPC doesn't provide WLAN N routers, you can always buy one separately and disable wireless in the UPC router.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Well, you better make sure, the "router upgrade" also includes WLAN 802.11n, because the Cisco EPC2425 does not support the new standard. 802.11g (up to 54 Mbit/s) is all it does. Even the greatest and fastest WLAN N adapter can only work as fast as the router at the other end. Your new card will work alright (they're usually backwards compatible) but it won't be faster than a WLAN G adapter.

If UPC doesn't provide WLAN N routers, you can always buy one separately and disable wireless in the UPC router.

Thanks a million Torq, really appreciate your help.

Could you suggest a router capable of 802.11n

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Thanks a million Torq, really appreciate your help.

Could you suggest a router capable of 802.11n

The TRENDnet TEW-692GR is one of the fastest wireless routers. Not cheap though (130 yoyos at Dabs), but OP was looking for quality connection re gaming.

The TRENDnet TEW-692GR is one of the fastest wireless routers. Not cheap though (130 yoyos at Dabs), but OP was looking for quality connection re gaming.

Would this router work for both gaming and speed, I know it will never be as good as Ethernet but in just looking for something as close as.

I assume its just a case of connecting the router to the modem via a LAN cable and setting it up??

Hopefully UPC give me a new router :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Just use homeplugs/powerline adapters. No need for wireless and the lag they result in.

5uspect wrote: »
    Just use homeplugs/powerline adapters. No need for wireless and the lag they result in.

Thanks for that but sadly it's not an option.

Have the pc on the 3rd floor at the moment in the bedroom but with baby coming going to have to move the pc onto the 2nd floor and into the study so need to make the desktop wireless, we have laptops but for downloading and gaming I'd like to keep it to the desktop hence the need for a card/router that will give me as little Lag as possible and keep my latency as low as possible whilst enabling me to continue to download at a reasonable speed.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that but sadly it's not an option.

Have the pc on the 3rd floor at the moment in the bedroom but with baby coming going to have to move the pc onto the 2nd floor and into the study so need to make the desktop wireless, we have laptops but for downloading and gaming I'd like to keep it to the desktop hence the need for a card/router that will give me as little Lag as possible and keep my latency as low as possible whilst enabling me to continue to download at a reasonable speed.

That's the whole point of powerline adapters; they work in any room where you have a power socket but no Ethernet.

That's the whole point of powerline adapters; they work in any room where you have a power socket but no Ethernet.

You got any reading material about them?? Are they expensive??

They're getting cheaper and faster all the time.

I paid €80 for my Netgear ones about 4 years ago and they deliver a solid 80mbps throughput and no noticeable extra latency for gaming with UPC, no lag spikes like with wireless either.

So are they better than a router and wireless card???

Did you even read my post? Yes, they are.

Maybe, maybe not. But neither is a substitute for a genuine cable connection. Ping your game server from a wired connection, a WLAN connection or power line adapters. The winner will always be a direct cable to the router. It's the nature of the beast.

There's no need to ping the server, just ping your modem.
    Here is the output from a quick test, wifi and homeplug measurements were taken upstairs in the same room while the modem is in the room below.
    [B]Powerline[/B]
    $ ping -c 4 192.168.1.1
    PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=5.650 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=4.221 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=4.499 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=4.207 ms

--- 192.168.1.1 ping statistics ---
    4 packets transmitted, 4 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
    round-trip min/[B]avg[/B]/max/[B]stddev[/B] = 4.207/[B]4.644[/B]/5.650/[B]0.592[/B] ms

[B]Wifi[/B]
    $ ping -c 4 192.168.1.1
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=10.894 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=4.338 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=4.223 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=4.321 ms

round-trip min/[B]avg[/B]/max/[B]stddev[/B] = 4.223/[B]5.944[/B]/10.894/[B]2.858[/B] ms

[B]Wired[/B]
    $ ping -c 4 192.168.1.1
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.908 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.764 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=1.007 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.934 ms

round-trip min/[B]avg[/B]/max/[B]stddev[/B] = 0.764/[B]0.903[/B]/1.007/[B]0.088[/B] ms

Obviously the latency for a wired connection is practically zero ~1ms. Running a longer cable will add to that. My powerline adapters are about 4ms with little spread. Wifi however shows a lot of spread. I'd take a consistent 4ms any day over lag spikes.

Ideally I should run them longer for a better representation. I'm sure google will find benchmarks somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

yes.
    lag times have been compared.
    wired < powerline < wireless

theyre about half the time of wireless in terms of routing afaik.
    if its just for that one thing - the pc then its probably the way go go. they have come down considerably in price.
    especailly if what you want it for is only a few m away they should be very good (they are said to work over 300m but with lowering results the further the range)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Obviously the latency for a wired connection is practically zero ~1ms. Running a longer cable will add to that.
    Not in any significant way. Cat 5e UTP has a popagation delay of 4.80-5.30 nanoseconds per metre so the difference between 1m and 100m of cable is about ~1 µs (.001 ms) for a round trip. You couldn't reliably detect that using ping.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Check out www.elara.ie I think they have a slecial on power lines circa 50 euro at the mo

• Advertisement

Thanks for Everyone's input really appreciate all the help.

Last question am I correct in saying this is how Power line Adapters Work?

Plug into room where router lies, connect router to plug via Ethernet.

Plug into room where PC is connect pc Via Ethernet to Power line adapter in the wall and it picks up the signal.

I.E there is no running of wires from room to room?

Last question am I correct in saying this is how Power line Adapters Work?

Plug into room where router lies, connect router to plug via Ethernet.

Plug into room where PC is connect pc Via Ethernet to Power line adapter in the wall and it picks up the signal.

I.E there is no running of wires from room to room?

That's exactly how it works. ;)

If you're looking for good quality, I'd recommend the Devolo dLAN 200 AVplus starter kit, €62.75 at Dabs (probably plus VAT since it's Dabs4Work), also available with added WLAN.

If you're looking for good quality, I'd recommend the Devolo dLAN 200 AVplus starter kit, €62.75 at Dabs (probably plus VAT since it's Dabs4Work), also available with added WLAN.

Okay , perfect, and the final question, does my UPC 2425 Modem/Router have any bearing on these devices.

I.E in order to get maximum performance do I need to upgrade my existing route/modemr?

I.E in order to get maximum performance do I need to upgrade my existing route/modemr?

The Devolo power line adapters offer up to 200 Mbps, your Cisco router is only a Fast Ethernet gateway (up to 100 Mbps). So, yes, in order to get the maximum performance on your home network you'll need a gigabit router (and a gigabit Ethernet controller in your computer), however, this will only be relevant for traffic between various devices on your network, not your internet connection (which is still slower).

The Devolo power line adapters offer up to 200 Mbps, your Cisco router is only a Fast Ethernet gateway (up to 100 Mbps). So, yes, in order to get the maximum performance on your home network you'll need a gigabit router (and a gigabit Ethernet controller in your computer), however, this will only be relevant for traffic between various devices on your network, not your internet connection (which is still slower).

Perfect a mun-do :)
    Rang UPC and upgraded to the 100 meg line so with the new Thomson router I believe it is N compatible, as I've ordered the wireless card I'll see how I go with that 1st.

If it's **** I may try one of these.
    Anyway you're all legends, cheers.

If it's **** I may try one of these.

You may try all you want but none of this can ever substitute a wired connection. Get a drill and run an Ethernet cable to your PC! :D

You may try all you want but none of this can ever substitute a wired connection. Get a drill and run an Ethernet cable to your PC! :D

If only I didn't live in a rented house, I don't play FPS or anything any more, as long as I can still download and stream the same as I do now, I'll be fine.

It would be handy if we had a connection in the room, could just bring the modem down but sadly the study if the only bloody room in the house without the fecking connection.

Advertisement