Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alex Ferguson on Ferdinand and Roberts

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Dempsey wrote: »
    The opportunity isnt lost, its demonstrated that how it is not being dealt with properly. It has highlighting further that punishments arent fitting the crimes when it comes to racism.

Maybe Ferguson should have opened dialogue with Ferdinand before having a go at Roberts in the media. Maybe he knew that Ferdinand wasnt going to listen to him, much like he hasnt listened to him over his twitter account and trying to best manage the situation to his advantage.
    In this situation, there is one person who knows what their plans are and another who can only guess what the other's plans are, that is if he even suspects that the other person has plans in the first place. The person who knows what the their plans are is the one who should open the dialogue.

I wasn't overly happy with Ferguson's handling of the Roberts thing but that is a footnote now. The real issue is racism in football. If Ferdinand actually wants to make a difference, let's hear his ideas on how we can change things.

What kind of mandate does he want KIO to have? What does he feel they have done wrong? Will he start his own campaign using the huge monetary resources available to him and his fellow black professionals?

As it stands, it's a guessing game. He is most likely annoyed about the Terry thing. That's cool but it's time to get past that and start focusing on trying to improve things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

To be fair I can see where everybody is coming from in this case.

Roberts is taking a stand against what he sees as inaction from the F.A. on racial issues, the F.A.'S 'face' in terms of racial issues is Kick It Out, so he took a stand against them.

Ferdinand has obvious family reasons for it.

Ferguson has his opinion on it of course. Just speculating, but I wonder if United as a club had agreed to wear the t-shirts, and then Ferdinand for some reason went against it and this shows United up a bit. He has legitimate reason to be angry here if that is the case.

In fairness, Roberts does a lot of work for charity and I'm sure he didnt just go about this stance lightly. It'll be interesting to see what comes of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Tis gas that he feels embarrassed by someone that is not supporting a charity like kick it out because his brother was the victim of racism by another professional footballer.

You have missed the point completely. Racism, charity, kick it out...............absolutely nothing to do with Fergie's annoyance. Zilch.

It's about the fact that he announced to the world that X was going to happen during a press conference and than Rio turned around and did Y. That is what he means when he says he was embarrassed. It made him look foolish and not in control. That's what the problem is. The lack of communication. He is blaming Rio for not telling him first. And he has a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Ny man woman or child has a right to stand up to their own beliefs. SAF is wrong in this case in saying that he expected Rio to wear the Kick it out shirt.
    If the man doesnt believe that its not doing any good then dam right he should make a stance.
    "he will be dealth with"? Such a threat by ur manager, seriously?

Im a utd fan all my life but in this case im going totally against fergie.

Yes he made him look bad after what fergie said in his conference but surely it shoulda been known by then that rio wouldnt wear the shirt.

No excuses for racism in football and EVERYTHING possible should be done to either highlight it and ban it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,591 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Maybe? It's a pretty important issue. A radio interview, a newspaper interview, an interview with Sky Sports. Anything. A chat with Ferguson outlining how strongly he feels about it before Ferguson goes to that press conference might have helped.

It's like Ferdinand has lost sight of the issue and thinks that going renegade is the right idea. It really isn't. Open dialogue and honesty in the public forum is the only way forward here.
    Unnecessary. There will be plenty of papers in touch with him now and he will be able to put his point forward, assuming Fergie allows him.

Kirby wrote: »

You have missed the point completely. Racism, charity, kick it out...............absolutely nothing to do with Fergie's annoyance. Zilch.

It's about the fact that he announced to the world that X was going to happen during a press conference and than Rio turned around and did Y. That is what he means when he says he was embarrassed. It made him look foolish and not in control. That's what the problem is. The lack of communication. He is blaming Rio for not telling him first. And he has a point.
    Well Fergie really shouldn't have gone telling the media things he didn't know. He made himself look the fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Seems that he and other professional players see it as a hollow gesture in light of recent events. Maybe they are highlighting that not enough is being done. The 4 match ban for Terry was a joke tbh, should have been twice that at least. Why should they feel embarrassed when the suits have let people off lightly. They are full of shíte when it actually comes to disciplining players.

EDIT

Remember that Rio's international career was ruined by this aswell

Also, Hodgson backed Terry and refused to call up Rio Ferdinand so as to not upset England's lionheart. It's a bit funny now that the FA are complaining about the dispicable actions by Serbia in the game during the week. When they had this Terry case and the Suarez case they took their sweet time and didn't give much punishment. They have no problem giving an 8 month ban to Ferdinand for missing a drug test yet just 4 games for JT...:rolleyes:

FatherTed wrote: »

Also, Hodgson backed Terry and refused to call up Rio Ferdinand so as to not upset England's lionheart. It's a bit funny now that the FA are complaining about the dispicable actions by Serbia in the game during the week. When they had this Terry case and the Suarez case they took their sweet time and didn't give much punishment. They have no problem giving an 8 month ban to Ferdinand for missing a drug test yet just 4 games for JT...:rolleyes:
    It's actually a sad indictment of modern football that cheating in football matches is considered a significantly worse crime than racial abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

CSF wrote: »
    It's actually a sad indictment of modern football that cheating in football matches is considered a significantly worse crime than racial abuse.

Well with cheating in football you have to consider the $$$$, with racism you must consider sticks and stones etc. You could argue that the lawww and feeeeelings and eeeemotions are more important than money but then I could argue that you're very idealistic.

The one time I'll agree with Platini on something - racism is a societal problem. Sure you can dish out the bans left, right and centre but it won't change anything. People must remember that a lot of footballers are absolute simpletons, trying to get them to change in any way is like pissing against the wind. As that tit Platini said, it's a societal problem.

• Advertisement

jive wrote: »

Well with cheating in football you have to consider the $$$$, with racism you must consider sticks and stones etc. You could argue that the lawww and feeeeelings and eeeemotions are more important than money but then I could argue that you're very idealistic.

The one time I'll agree with Platini on something - racism is a societal problem. Sure you can dish out the bans left, right and centre but it won't change anything. People must remember that a lot of footballers are absolute simpletons, trying to get them to change in any way is like pissing against the wind. As that tit Platini said, it's a societal problem.
    Simplifying racist abuse as being merely to do with feelings and emotions is way off the mark, I mean what isn't? Every crime has a victim or else nobody would care.

So what if racism is a societal problem? That's no reason to not come down on racist abusers like a tonne of bricks. Even if it doesn't fix the problem it'll still give the culprits the punishment they deserve.

Simplifying racist abuse as being merely to do with feelings and emotions is way off the mark, I mean what isn't? Every crime has a victim or else nobody would care.

So what if racism is a societal problem? That's no reason to not come down on racist abusers like a tonne of bricks. Even if it doesn't fix the problem it'll still give the culprits the punishment they deserve.

Well I'm saying cheating is a more significant crime because of the money involved. Look at Lance Armstrong - made millions from cheating, took millions away from clean athletes as a result; people died as a result of drug abuse in an attempt to keep up with the pros.

Racist abuse is to do with feelings and emotions. It's verbal. What isn't? Physical assault. If you gave me 2 choices -
    1. Call me a cracker (doesn't have the same effect as the n bomb but you catch my drift)
    2. Smash my face in with a brick
    I'm plumping for choice #1 all day.

I didn't say it was a reason not to come down hard on it, I'm just saying that won't fix it. John Terry was cleared in a court of law, what are the FA going to do give him a life time ban? There's only so much you can do and a lot of these 'punishments' are just for show.

jive wrote: »

Well I'm saying cheating is a more significant crime because of the money involved. Look at Lance Armstrong - made millions from cheating, took millions away from clean athletes as a result; people died as a result of drug abuse in an attempt to keep up with the pros.

Racist abuse is to do with feelings and emotions. It's verbal. What isn't? Physical assault. If you gave me 2 choices -
    1. Call me a cracker (doesn't have the same effect as the n bomb but you catch my drift)
    2. Smash my face in with a brick
    I'm plumping for choice #1 all day.

I didn't say it was a reason not to come down hard on it, I'm just saying that won't fix it. John Terry was cleared in a court of law, what are the FA going to do give him a life time ban? There's only so much you can do and a lot of these 'punishments' are just for show.
    You're not comparing like for like with your 1 and 2 there. A more accurate comparison would be getting racially abused or getting a dig. I think the humiliation would outweigh for most. As you say it's easy for us to say we wouldn't mind that much.

The court of law verdict isn't really relevant. If the FA find him guilty they should punish him accordingly. They haven't, and they've given as you say 'a punishment for show'. So I can see why the lads are disillusioned with the FA's attempts to use black players to try make it look as if they give a ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Cynical version: Ferdinand isn't very bright and Roberts is angling for a career after he finishes playing.
    Bodhisopha wrote: »
    As for Roberts, he's just trying to make a name for himself.

Joleon Lescott and Kenwayne Jones also didn't wear the shirts. Are they dumb / angling for careers too?

They were DEAD ****ING RIGHT not to wear those silly shirts. The Kick It Out campaign is a busted flush. It clearly has not been effective in its stated aims. Wearing a shirt with that name on it is a pointless empty gesture, as are forced handshakes before games, etc.

People like simple statements because it allows them to nod their heads in approval and say 'oh, isn't that great'. Utter bollocks. Alex Ferguson mentioned on the MOTD interview that he felt 'embarrased' by Ferdinand's decision not to tow the line. His anger will be because he laid down a directive that wasn't obeyed. That is frankly irrelevant.

If you're genuinely against Racism, then you would see that what those players did today was absolutely correct. The KIO campaign is a joke. Either do something bold and meaningful, or do nothing at all imo.

You're not comparing like for like with your 1 and 2 there. A more accurate comparison would be getting racially abused or getting a dig. I think the humiliation would outweigh for most. As you say it's easy for us to say we wouldn't mind that much.

The court of law verdict isn't really relevant. If the FA find him guilty they should punish him accordingly. They haven't, and they've given as you say 'a punishment for show'. So I can see why the lads are disillusioned with the FA's attempts to use black players to try make it look as if they give a ****.

I'd still rather be verbally abused than have to take a dig. Then again I'm a white male. I could still decide to take offense to things that people do or say, though. Granted it doesn't have the same connotations but I'm sure there's more racism going on in the game than a handful of black lads in the last few months.

Yeah but if he wasn't found guilty in a court of law how sure can the FA really be. I mean, he was proved innocent in COURT and then he went to the kangaroo court where they gave a 4 game ban and took some money off him. What are the FA really going to do? He was proved innocent in an actual court. I don't know what is a fair punishment for a men who was innocent in the eyes of the law. If anything, any ban imposed on him is unfair IMO given that he was cleared in court. Suarez is a different story but again, what is fair and to what extent can the FA punish people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I seen at one of the matches today they had a load of brown skinned kids wallking out with the players. Talk about the most tired cliche.... Im surprised they didnt stand around the centre circle hand in hand belting out, We are the world.

When football types try and approach serious issues such as racism its just completely insincere and naff.

Fair played to Rio and the lads for not joining in with this charade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

What alternative anti-racism strategy has been proffered up by the players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Kirby wrote: »

I think you'll find that you're missing the point. Fergie had no right to cast aspersions on Jason Roberts' reasons for not wanting to wear the t-shirt in his pre-match press conference on Friday. Regardless of whethere or not he was answering a question asked, he didn't need to turn his answer into a petty attack on Roberts' motives. Why should a black player support an organisation which that black player feels is doing nothing to advance the cause of fighting racism? Regardless of what SAF wants his players to do.

What alternative anti-racism strategy has been proffered up by the players?
    This is my problem with it all. I have no problem with Ferdinand's beliefs. But we don't really know what they are. Not wearing the t-shirt without any explanation and coming out with childish stuff on Twitter is powderpuff stuff when faced with such a serious issue. He has put himself and his manager in the spotlight over this issue so it is time for him to start talking about it.

This is not the 60s in the US. A raised, black-gloved fist as a symbol is not required anymore. Most right-thinking people want this issue to be tackled so he can openly speak about it without fear of persecution.

mosstin wrote: »
    I think you'll find that you're missing the point. Fergie had no right to cast aspersions on Jason Roberts' reasons for not wanting to wear the t-shirt in his pre-match press conference on Friday. Regardless of whethere or not he was answering a question asked, he didn't need to turn his answer into a petty attack on Roberts' motives. Why should a black player support an organisation which that black player feels is doing nothing to advance the cause of fighting racism? Regardless of what SAF wants his players to do.
    It is hard to know what Ferguson's motives are here. We can say without doubt that he would be a supporter of any anti-racism movement so I'm not sure why he had such an issue with Roberts.

Maybe, like me, he sees these players offering no alternative solution, putting none of their copious amounts of free-time and exorbitant weekly wages to use in setting up an alternative to KIO so feels they should get behind what they have.

I'm also not sure what Roberts and Ferdinand expect of KIO. What is their mandate? What have they done wrong etc? None of this is really clear and I suspect that we'll get nothing more out of this. I don't think I'll ever stop thinking that the manner in which they've chosen to protest was unnecessary and not really helpful.

It is hard to know what Ferguson's motives are here. We can say without doubt that he would be a supporter of any anti-racism movement so I'm not sure why he had such an issue with Roberts.

Maybe, like me, he sees these players offering no alternative solution, putting none of their copious amounts of free-time and exorbitant weekly wages to use in setting up an alternative to KIO so feels they should get behind what they have.

I'm also not sure what Roberts and Ferdinand expect of KIO. What is their mandate? What have they done wrong etc? None of this is really clear and I suspect that we'll get nothing more out of this. I don't think I'll ever stop thinking that the manner in which they've chosen to protest was unnecessary and not really helpful.

If nothing else their protest has drawn greater attention to the issue. Ultimately though, I think that players who chose not to wear the t-shirt this weekend didn't want to seem like hypocrites, supporting something they don't believe in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Its the FA that are mainly funding KIO and its the PFA asking the players to wear these t-shirts and support their campaign. Jason Euell, ex pro and who now works for KIO actually is supportive of Roberts & Ferdinand's stance!
    That a high-profile player like Rio Ferdinand is willing to make a stance, that gathers more momentum because it needs to be out there
    Because it keeps getting swept under the carpet it makes it easy for Fifa and Uefa to come out with ridiculous, ignorant comments.

It makes it easy for the FA to brush it aside and for the PFA to allow it to be brushed aside if we all go quiet again and put these T-shirts on and jog around. Now, it needs to be kicked on another level.

The gripe isnt with KIO, its with the FIFA, UEFA, FA & PFA and their handling of these situations when push comes to shove.

This all seems a bit dodgy then. Terry had a trial, which everyone is entitled to, and was found not guilty. The FA then conducted their own investigation and used their greater powers due to balance of probabilties to say that Terry probably used racist terms. The reality is, though, that we can't really say for sure what Terry said, as the court case shows, so we can only assume that he probably said it. The FA give their bans\fines based on this. The FA even bent their own rules to get Terry into a hearing.

What are the guys expecting of the FA? Witch hunts and kangaroo hearings where they forget due process and dish out huge punishments without a beyond reasonable doubt level of evidence? I'm all for lengthy bans for players who use racist terms, I wouldn't mind if they were similar to doping bans, but if we do go down that road, beyond reasonable doubt has to come in as a standard for cases like that.

Maybe they should have said to Terry if you postpone the trial until after the season, you wont be considered for the Euros. Deal with it ASAP. Capello would probably have still been in charge if they handled the situation correctly.

The FA: "What is your issue with KIO?"
    Ferdinand: "It's **** innit, Terry should have got a 10 year ban."
    The FA: "Okay, that flies in the face of due process and all precedents set. Where were you when we were having meetings about this stuff? We could have used your input."
    Ferdinand: "Setting up restaurants and magazines and ****."
    The FA: "Have you helped out with KIO? With setting mandates and stuff?"
    Ferdinand: "No. Terry should have got 10 years. I'm not wearing that t-shirt."
    The FA: "OK, kindly **** off and let the adults speak."

This is how it comes across. I get that it is not Ferdinand's duty to get involved and offer alternatives but if you feel strongly enough about something and feel something isn't working then you usually speak about it say what isn't working. Not wearing a t-shirt without any explanation sends a muddled response. It's the protest of a teenager.

The FA: "What is your issue with KIO?"
    Ferdinand: "It's **** innit, Terry should have got a 10 year ban."
    The FA: "Okay, that flies in the face of due process and all precedents set. Where were you when we were having meetings about this stuff? We could have used your input."
    Ferdinand: "Setting up restaurants and magazines and ****."
    The FA: "Have you helped out with KIO? With setting mandates and stuff?"
    Ferdinand: "No. Terry should have got 10 years. I'm not wearing that t-shirt."
    The FA: "OK, kindly **** off and let the adults speak."

This is how it comes across. I get that it is not Ferdinand's duty to get involved and offer alternatives but if you feel strongly enough about something and feel something isn't working then you usually speak about it say what isn't working. Not wearing a t-shirt without any explanation sends a muddled response. It's the protest of a teenager.

As opposed to the mature and enlightened worldview of SAF; "You'll wear that t-shirt, because I said so."

mosstin wrote: »
    As opposed to the mature and enlightened worldview of SAF; "You'll wear that t-shirt, because I said so."
    Or; "You wear the t-shirt because the club that pays you £150,000 a week supports this initiative. An intiative that is doing more than you are to combat an issue that you seem to be passionate about in a country that has taken greater strides than most others to combat this issue. Because you have offered no alternative and you haven't explained your views to anyone. Because you are treating this Terry thing like a soap opera. Because you have already been fined for seemingly endorsing an incredibly hurtful comment about Ashley Cole that questions his validity as a black man. Excuse me if I'm a little bit sceptical of your methodology and opinions on racism."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

I agree with Roberts' and Ferdinand's stance on this, "Kick It Out" is an easy get-out for the FA, but in reality it's just a way for them to pay lip-service to the issue. Roberts made a good point, if Terry had said what he said in another workplace he'd be sacked. I recognise a football pitch isn't a normal workplace and that punishment would be too severe for both footballers and their club, but on balance, if the FA were truly committed, a four game ban does not match the crime. "Kick it out" is often a convenient banner to hide behind.

Or; "You wear the t-shirt because the club that pays you £150,000 a week supports this initiative. An intiative that is doing more than you are to combat an issue that you seem to be passionate about in a country that has taken greater strides than most others to combat this issue. Because you have offered no alternative and you haven't explained your views to anyone. Because you are treating this Terry thing like a soap opera. Because you have already been fined for seemingly endorsing an incredibly hurtful comment about Ashley Cole that questions his validity as a black man. Excuse me if I'm a little bit sceptical of your methodology and opinions on racism."

The initiative didnt do enough for his brother, a victim of racism from the England captain, and I'm making a wild and unsubstantiated claim here but maybe he's putting family before SAF, Man Utd & his €150k p/w contract.

Predalien wrote: »
    I agree with Roberts' and Ferdinand's stance on this, "Kick It Out" is an easy get-out for the FA, but in reality it's just a way for them to pay lip-service to the issue. Roberts made a good point, if Terry had said what he said in another workplace he'd be sacked. I recognise a football pitch isn't a normal workplace and that punishment would be too severe for both footballers and their club, but on balance, if the FA were truly committed, a four game ban does not match the crime. "Kick it out" is often a convenient banner to hide behind.

The FA haven't just paid lip-service to this issue. They have fought racism in the stands in conjunction with the clubs and the police and English football has become a shining example to other countries in how to deal with an endemic problem and virtually eradicate it in 25 years.

I do agree with you that they need to set more stringent rules for what happens on the pitch, though. This is where Ferdinand and Roberts need to get involved and help shape these policies. The Terry thing needs to be forgotten. It's done. Future cases are where it is at now and making sure they can really get their teeth into similar instances in the future.

The initiative didnt do enough for his brother, a victim of racism from the England captain, and I'm making a wild and unsubstantiated claim here but maybe he's putting family before SAF, Man Utd & his €150k p/w contract.
    Obviosuly I've put forward plenty of other reasons in that post but you've just focused on one element. I also agree with you that the current FA guidelines aren't hard-hitting enough. I've even put forward my own ideas for how they could change. Ferdinand seemingly hasn't.

If anyone is paying lip-service to the issue, it's Ferdinand by thinking that not wearing a t-shirt is doing enough to make a stance against an issue that has affected his brother.

• Advertisement

So his motive is a selfish one? Maybe the premier league players think Kick It Out begins and ends at the Premier League. Maybe they need to look at Kick It Outs website to see what they try to do throughout the whole of football. Maybe they need to be reminded again that charities cannot be held responsible for governing bodies decisions they don't agree with. If the FA do "hide behind" Kick it Out, the issue is still an FA one, not a charity's.

This is my problem with it all. I have no problem with Ferdinand's beliefs. But we don't really know what they are. Not wearing the t-shirt without any explanation and coming out with childish stuff on Twitter is powderpuff stuff when faced with such a serious issue. He has put himself and his manager in the spotlight over this issue so it is time for him to start talking about it.

This is not the 60s in the US. A raised, black-gloved fist as a symbol is not required anymore. Most right-thinking people want this issue to be tackled so he can openly speak about it without fear of persecution.
    If Ferdinand doesn't give an interview on this, it'll only be because Fergie doesn't let him. I have no doubt that Ferdinand would absolutely love to lay into the FA on how they've dealt with it. I just don't think he is allowed.

So his motive is a selfish one? Maybe the premier league players think Kick It Out begins and ends at the Premier League. Maybe they need to look at Kick It Outs website to see what they try to do throughout the whole of football. Maybe they need to be reminded again that charities cannot be held responsible for governing bodies decisions they don't agree with. If the FA do "hide behind" Kick it Out, the issue is still an FA one, not a charity's.
    Kick It Out shouldn't be standing beside the FA after their conduct of late.

Kick It Out shouldn't be standing beside the FA after their conduct of late.

How exactly do they stand beside the FA and how would you suggest they go about carrying out their campaign in football without the cooperation of the association that run it?

Supporting your family is selfish? Supporting an organisation that is only lip service to the issue is the bigger picture? :eek:

As I said already, the gripe is with the FA & PFA. People working for KIO are supporting Roberts and Ferdinands stance!

If Ferdinand doesn't give an interview on this, it'll only be because Fergie doesn't let him. I have no doubt that Ferdinand would absolutely love to lay into the FA on how they've dealt with it. I just don't think he is allowed.
    I believe you may be right now, purely because Ferdinand has not shown himself to be capable of maturity when it comes to this issue. Had Ferdinand explained the issue to Ferguson previously, not made any comments on Twitter about Ashley Cole, and outlined his views, he would most certainly have been allowed to raise awareness to this issue. History tells us that Ferguson is a great supporter of these kinds of things, when they are handled correctly.

As it stands now, Ferguson will not trust Ferdinand to turn this into anything more than a slanging match between his family and Terry. The kind of **** that the press will lap up. Ferdinand's opinions on this are coloured by the Terry incident. The reality is that Ferdinand seems to have taken this as a personal slight and is lashing out at initiatives like KIO who have nothing to do with that. Initiatives whose best work is done on a meagre budget at all ages, not just in the PL - which Ferguson would be more than aware of.

As I said before, the Ferdinands have handled the whole thing really poorly.

Supporting your family is selfish? Supporting an organisation that is only lip service to the issue is the bigger picture? :eek:

As I said already, the gripe is with the FA & PFA. People working for KIO are supporting Roberts and Ferdinands stance!
    TBF, it is nice that Jason Euell supports their stance but that's just his opinion. He is entitled to it of course, but it doesn't make him right. It's an appeal to authority argument that isn't needed here when everyone is making valid points and discussing it sensibly.

How exactly do they stand beside the FA and how would you suggest they go about carrying out their campaign in football without the cooperation of the association that run it?
    There should have been a statement condemning the pathetic punishments handed out to offenders. They are the only such organisation after all.

If they want to avoid upsetting the FA to ensure their co-operation then it's not that surprising that black players aren't taking their work at senior level seriously. That shouldn't discredit their work throughout football as that's a separate issue entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Either that or cheating in football matches is far more common then Racism.

We saw, like 3 or 4 incidents last year in the premierleague of Racism, probably 10 dives and whatnot every single week.

• Advertisement

Fuhrer wrote: »

Either that or cheating in football matches is far more common then Racism.

We saw, like 3 or 4 incidents last year in the premierleague of Racism, probably 10 dives and whatnot every single week.
    I mean in terms of bans, specifically replying to a reference to doping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

I mean in terms of bans, specifically replying to a reference to doping.

Oh right, yeah true I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

flyswatter wrote: »
    So Sir Alex Ferguson has been having a go at Jason Roberts during the week for not supporting the Kick It Out campaign by wearing their shirt.

Rio Ferdinand has now decided not to wear it in protest against (presumably similarly to Roberts) the lack of care being taken against racism in the game recently. Ferguson is very embarassed about this and not pleased with his player.

What do people feel about this? I respect the two players decisions not to wear the shirt and think that Roberts especially is to be applauded for making his point known.

Ferguson announced all his players would support the campaign. Ferdinand didnt

When a Utd player falls out of line they get a serious kick up the arse. I'm not reading into it anymore then that.

Although at the same time, what those two idiots seem to fail to comprahend is Kick it out campaign has no influence or powers in the game, and instead focus' the majority of its work at grass roots and younger levels.

If they were really interested, they'd shed some of their massive wages to the campaign to maybe help it get more involved in the professional game.

Stupid move by both, and moreso Ferdinand, as when his manager says players are doing something, and they don't. Well, look at the history of our club.

I'm not saying he will be sold by the club obviously, but expect him to be dropped for the next few games. And after yesterdays performance, I'd rather see a young lad in the starting lineup. Needs to stop bringing attention to himself and his ever waining game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Ferguson announced all his players would support the campaign. Maybe he should have checked before making his statement.

Ferdinand et al, their not wearing the shirt is less a protest than a show of non-support. Players are people and entitled to their beliefs regardless of what a manager says.

mitosis wrote: »
    Ferguson announced all his players would support the campaign. Maybe he should have checked before making his statement.

Ferdinand et al, their not wearing the shirt is less a protest than a show of non-support. Players are people and entitled to their beliefs regardless of what a manager says.

He didn't need to check. There was no decision. The team had suffered two incidents of racial abuse both with Evra and by association with Ferdinand. The manager of United doesn't need to check with his players, if he says they are wearing them, they are.

I of course agree players are entitled to their own views, opinions and beliefs, but at the same time, aslong as that does not undermine the club, the manager or the team.

And yesterdays actions undermine the team, the club and the manager. The club are big supporters of the project, and having their prominant black player protest against the organization ( for completely incorrect and ill informed reasons) is actually a let down.

I read a good article about how its Fergie who has let Rio down, and it makes some very valid points.

The kick it out organisation were very vocal after both rulings for the Terry-Ferdinand and Evra-Suaraz case noting that the penalities were a joke and an insult to the footballing men and woman who have suffered racial abuse in their careers etc etc.

If they really have a problem that they want to address, they need to be doing something that will actually impact. Highlighting with the FA, the PFA, not an organisation whose sole movement is education and informing targetting younger agre groups...

The Kick it out Statement
    Kick It Out works throughout the football, educational and community sectors to challenge discrimination, encourage inclusive practices and work for positive change.

The campaign is supported and funded by the game's governing bodies, including founding body the Professional Footballers Association (PFA), the Premier League and The Football Association.

They have ONE annual game per premier league season to promote the organisation, which was yesterday. Their primary focus ( from viewing their work over the last week ) is REALLY GOOD work in communities, youth academies and youth leagues in the country, gathering volunteers from prominant Black coaches, managers and players from as many areas and leagues possible.
    There is good support form lower league players and coaches, there is good support from Championship level, there is little support from the PL from looking a their guests, and their history shows no records of Ferdinand ( or Roberts from what I can see) providing their services at educational talks, sessions or community projects.

So considering they did **** all to support an organization that has an active role for over ten years, they can just keep it to themselves. Its the age ld saying, if you arnt willing to put up, then shut up. Especially when the likes of those two are in prominent positions to offer their services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I get the impression United as a club were supporting it, and I presume agreed with the players. If this is the case than Ferdinand is wrong to do it without informing them, not wrong for doing it mind, but still silly if it was the case.

• Advertisement

Excellent piece by Okwonga, journo with, amongst others, the UK Independent and Guardian newspapers. The whole article is on his blog: http://www.okwonga.com/

It offers an interesting insight into the whole debate and highlights just how small the organisation of Kick it Out is, I found the final paragraph interesting but there is probably a bit in it for all sides to consider their viewpoint vindicated:
    Kick It Out are unfortunate in that their success in gaining visibility has made them the public emblem of all efforts to fight discrimination in football; and that they are thus the unlucky anvil on which Roberts has chosen to beat out his point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Cienciano wrote: »
    Fair play to rio and roberts. Fergie should never of commented on roberts,was none of his business

Correct. Could simply have said at the PC that what Jason Roberts does is a matter for him and Reading and no further comment. But he couldnt resist having a pop and its come back and bitten him on the ass now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

TheDoc wrote: »
    He didn't need to check. There was no decision. The team had suffered two incidents of racial abuse both with Evra and by association with Ferdinand. The manager of United doesn't need to check with his players, if he says they are wearing them, they are.

Apparently not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I would be very surprised if a club was entitled to dictate the politics of the players, and reiterate my point that there should have been no statement made without consultation. If there was consultation (and there may have been) and the players unanimously agreed, then there's an issue for the manager to address.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Apparently not.

Thats my point, and why Fergie had no reservations in publicly stating Ferdinand will be dealt with, where alot of managers would dodge the question, with some no comment crap.

At United you fall in line, and if you don't, you face the consequences, as many of the current playing staff can inform Ferdinand about, and many previous players I'm sure can attest to, and regret.

• Advertisement
Advertisement