Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daylight Savings - Pub/Nite club open an extra hour?

• 21-10-2012 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Ireland rule on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

No, clocks change at 2:30 by which time the pubs are closed

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

They don't loose and hour when it goes forward and they don't gain an hour when it foes back.
    It's written into exemptions, can't remember the exact wording.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Cliona2012

Wonderful.

Thanks and goodnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

No, clocks change at 2:30 by which time the pubs are closed

Clocks change at 2am. Thus becoming 1am.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/clockchange.html?n=78&year=2012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

It's 2am not 2.30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Are the clocks going back this weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

alwaysadub wrote: »

Next weekend Shirley?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Yes. By 4 hours this year.

Its next Saturday Night/Sunday Morning. The 28th of october.

Oct 28

• Advertisement

It's just Sunday morning. Saturday is over by the time it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

Harsh I'm working that night and my employer will not be paying me for the extra hour...

Cliona2012 wrote: »
    Ireland rule on this?

Actually, this brings up a memory of being in a bar a few years ago :P
    As far as I can remember, you DO get the extra hour in a pub. My friends were crapping on about how good it will be that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

sucks balls if your on night shift :(

You are legally entitled to be paid for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

dreamers75 wrote: »

Dafuq kind of job is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

... and don't call me Shirley

Funny thing is, if you working during the spring equinox they give you 1 less hour pay. ha Well this year im gonna sleep during the winter equinox hour...lol

That was in sept (22)

And it's the autumnal equinox (Spring is Vernal)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

I'm pretty sure we will get the extra hour of drinking time. I've been in a late bar before when the clocks went forward and lost the hour so I'm damn well sure I'm gonna claim it back this Sat/Sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Harsh I'm working that night and my employer will not be paying me for the extra hour...

Why get paid for it? Its not an extra hour of time worked

It is if the shift does not allow for the 1 hour extra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Rabies wrote: »

So I can saddle up to some hoooker for a free one, or three between the changeover times? SRSLY?

Question,
    Do you understand the concept of time?

Ha when you work 16 hours and only get paid for 15 thats not good. Thats what happens when you work in security.

Question,
    Do you understand the concept of time?
    Ha when you work 16 hours and only get paid for 15 thats not good. Thats what happens when you work in security.

Not long awake. My fault. Can't even remember what I was thinking :D
    I'd go back and edit my post so I don't look like a dumb ass, but I think I'll leave it.
    Of course if you stay open an hour longer you get paid an hour longer.

Time to get out of bed and have a cold show to wake up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

None of the pubs/clubs I've ever worked in has ever had it's closing time affected by going forward or back the hour. Consequently, I've never gotten paid an extra hour or lost an hours wages. I'd be very surprised if that was common.

Adyx wrote: »
    None of the pubs/clubs I've ever worked in has ever had it's closing time affected by going forward or back the hour. Consequently, I've never gotten paid an extra hour or lost an hours wages. I'd be very surprised if that was common.

Pubs/clubs generally still close at the old time so staff are not affected. Close of business is when their times usually change, but not sure how official that is. Is there any alcohol licence in Ireland that goes past 2am? If not, then no one will get paid for the time change, only for time worked.
    But if you're in a shift work job where the time change extends your working hours by an hour, then of course you should get paid for the time, but that would only happen when clocks go back, right.
    I think my head is waking up now.
    Might know where I was going with the first post now :)

Hmmm, maybe I should delete everything and not post again until the cobwebs are gone from my brain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

dreamers75 wrote: »
    squod wrote: »
    Dafuq kind of job is that?

I'm thinking rentboy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Hmmm, maybe I should delete everything and not post again until the cobwebs are gone from my brain.
    Ah, here, lad, after all these years, you can't stop posting now!! :pac:
    1ZRed wrote: »
    I'm thinking rentboy
    You usually are! :rolleyes: :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Pubs/clubs generally still close at the old time so staff are not affected. Close of business is when their times usually change, but not sure how official that is. Is there any alcohol licence in Ireland that goes past 2am? If not, then no one will get paid for the time change, only for time worked.
    But if you're in a shift work job where the time change extends your working hours by an hour, then of course you should get paid for the time, but that would only happen when clocks go back, right.
    I think my head is waking up now.
    Might know where I was going with the first post now :)

Some of the places I worked in we would have served to 2:30am (maybe a little longer). Basically what we did was just carry on as if the time hadn't changed at all. Obviously we couldn't change the time on the tills anyway and the guards didn't seem to care and of course the customers didn't. I have it in my head that I read something "official" about this once, but I can't remember exactly what it was or where I saw it. As you say, there's probably few places left that do legally serve after 2am anymore outside of Dublin at least so it's pretty much a non-issue.

To be honest I'd be in favour of doing away with daylight savings - it's archaic and has vastly outlived it's usefulness at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

[QUOTE=Rabies;81349394. Is there any alcohol licence in Ireland that goes past 2am? [/QUOTE]

Most clubs dont shut til 2:30am do they?

Spirit/ The Academy/ whatever they have likely renamed it by now, on Abbey St, used to open until about 3:30, as did Tripod. I think they got around it by applying for a theatre licence rather than classing themselves as a nightclub?

I really do not miss living in a country where the government tells us we have to go to bed by 2:30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I've always found the nights were the clocks go back to be much calmer nights. People come out of the clubs more sporadically and don't tend to rush those drinks in at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Cliona2012

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Cliona2012 wrote: »
    Thanks

You should clearly just keep ordering at the bar until they ask you to leave, as opposed to worrying about what time it is due to the clocks changing ... Monday comes around quick enough as is..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Yeah you get the extra hour in nightclubs (last year anyway) but the problem is, I'm not sure whether the nitelinks run for an extra hour or not.

Advertisement