Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bums?

• 21-10-2012 1:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Just a quick thought. When we all live in a cashless society, what will happen to all the bums on the streets?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Hi all. Just a quick thought. When we all live in a cashless society, what will happen to all the bums on the streets?

Give them 3v vouchers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

They use contactless card devices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

They'll be re-cycled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Considering there are still shops that insist that you buy goods totalling a minimum of €20 before they let you use a debit card, I'd say we've a while to go before we need to start worrying about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Can society ever really be cashless? I can't see it happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

that's a quick thought at 1.10 am?

hmmm.

what comes into ur head around 4am?

as for the bums, if they're cute, they get pinched, if flabby they get slapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

Misleading thread title is misleading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

ArtSmart wrote: »
    that's a quick thought at 1.10 am?

hmmm.

what comes into ur head around 4am?

as for the bums, if they're cute, they get pinched, if flabby they get slapped.
    Got asked for money 3 times today on henry street. Got me thinking

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

If watching 'Demolition Man' has thought me anything, it's that they'll all live underground. Also, we'll have to wipe our arses with shells apparently.

Got asked for money 3 times today on henry street.

That the henry street in towin?

• Advertisement

squod wrote: »
    That the henry street in towin?
    yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

BitCoins please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

I'm more of a tit man.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

yes

Which town? Borris-on-Ossory?

Got asked for money 3 times today on henry street. Got me thinking
    ah, of course.

well i assume in the future they just bend over and you em, swipe your card between the cheeks?

a sort of bum's bum payment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

In the future we'll all have microchips implanted in our wrists which will cover all our data including our bank details. Charities can help to get the homeless theirs. If you want to donate you'll just swipe your wrist with his/hers plus probably a security code entered on your smart phone. Hey presto the "bum" has credit on his/her account. We'll laugh (though with a touch of nostalgia no doubt) at the idea of "loose change".

Custardpi wrote: »
    In the future we'll all have microchips implanted in our wrists which will cover all our data including our bank details. Charities can help to get the homeless theirs. If you want to donate you'll just swipe your wrist with his/hers plus probably a security code entered on your smart phone. Hey presto the "bum" has credit on his/her account. We'll laugh (though with a touch of nostalgia no doubt) at the idea of "loose change".
    could Southpark satirise that i wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

I'm disappointed this thread isn't about lovely girls arses.

Anyways, I doubt we'll ever have a cashless society.

I'm disappointed this thread isn't about lovely girls arses.

Anyways, I doubt we'll ever have a cashless society.
    explain your doubt please.

In the future we'll all have microchips implanted in our wrists which will cover all our data including our bank details.

Not if you like having two hands you won't. Plenty of twelve year olds on bikes ready to do time for a mobile phone. Serious criminals will want your wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

They've all moved to Germany, where the money is. :rolleyes:

squod wrote: »
    Not if you like having two hands you won't. Plenty of twelve year olds on bikes ready to do time for a mobile phone. Serious criminals will want your wages.
    i see a movie script forming....

a bad one.

lol. yeah, that'd be fun. handy for the crims. *cough*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

It'll make buying drugs a tad more complicated when you have to hang around, swipe wrists and enter a pin before he hands over the baggy...

could Southpark satirise that i wonder?

I don't see why not. The episode which joked about people looking for change "Night of the Living Homeless" iirc was less about the medium of exchange involved & more to do with the middle class fallacy that simply handing someone some coins would in any meaningful way alleviate the socio-economic problems which led to them being in that position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

explain your doubt please.

Very well then. I doubt we'll ever get to the stage where cash is completely eliminated, sure used less, maybe far less, but ever completely eliminated? I just don't see it happening. People like having cash, physically holding it, it's somehow reassuring that they actually have it. Some people are still somewhat fearful about credit/debit cards and the possibilities of fraud.

Convenience would also be a factor with very small transactions. Its simpler to buy a packet of crisps/a newspaper etc with cash than a card.

Very well then. I doubt we'll ever get to the stage where cash is completely eliminated, sure used less, maybe far less, but ever completely eliminated? I just don't see it happening. People like having cash, physically holding it, it's somehow reassuring that they actually have it. Some people are still somewhat fearful about credit/debit cards and the possibilities of fraud.

Convenience would also be a factor with very small transactions. Its simpler to buy a packet of crisps/a newspaper etc with cash than a card.

Paying at car boot sales would be a fierce nuisance without cash

Sauve wrote: »
    It'll make buying drugs a tad more complicated when you have to hang around, swipe wrists and enter a pin before he hands over the baggy...

*naive optimism* By that stage we'll have finally started treating people like adults & decided to legalise & regulate drugs so that won't be an issue *naive optimism*

I don't see why not. The episode which joked about people looking for change "Night of the Living Homeless" iirc was less about the medium of exchange involved & more to do with the middle class fallacy that simply handing someone some coins would in any meaningful way alleviate the socio-economic problems which led to them being in that position.
    so, that's a yes?

• Advertisement

eth0 wrote: »
    surely the traditional bare knuckle fight would suffice?

surely the traditional bare knuckle fight would suffice?

That reminds me, I know someone who knows someone who knows someone who...

Was walking his dog in England one day and an Irish knacker came over to him and said "Fight ya for ya dog, boi. Ya win the fight ya get to keep the dog!".

Was walking his dog in England one day and an Irish knacker came over to him and said "Fight ya for ya dog, boi. Ya win the fight ya get to keep the dog!".
    Dont even get me started on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Devices that plug into smart phones already exist to take payments by credit card at car boots and market stalls. NFC payments from phone to phone will be in use before long with lower fees than credit cards.

There are no real barriers to going cashless other than the fact that people like cash, particularly in Ireland, we use more cash than most other countries and probably more coin than anywhere else.

CIT costs and deposit charges are rising, banks don't want physical cash. Merchant fees are a deterrent to some businesses but they'll get over it eventually.

hardCopy wrote: »
    Devices that plug into smart phones already exist to take payments by credit card at car boots and market stalls. NFC payments from phone to phone will be in use before long with lower fees than credit cards.

There are no real barriers to going cashless other than the fact that people like cash, particularly in Ireland, we use more cash than most other countries and probably more coin than anywhere else.

CIT costs and deposit charges are rising, banks don't want physical cash. Merchant fees are a deterrent to some businesses but they'll get over it eventually.

The fact that there are transaction fees at all is a massive problem. It could all be decentralised and free.

If you have one massive company like paypal taking a cut out of every transaction or what have you then eventually they will own 100% of the money. Once their monopoly is secure they'll cut their staff level to the bare minimum and spend very little

well, at least he's offering a choice of outcomes. wonder if the judge would see it that way?

• Advertisement

re cashless society. it's sort of a meaningless concept.

the medium might change, (ie bytes instead of paper) but all the attendant issues will remain the same.

(initially there will be some pluses and minuses but they'll balance out in time. money is an expression of something else, it is not inherently valuable (unless it's made of 100% gold :))

I suppose it would be a bit of hassle for the pensioners to get the hang of too.:D

The fact that there are transaction fees at all is a massive problem. It could all be decentralised and free.

If you have one massive company like paypal taking a cut out of every transaction or what have you then eventually they will own 100% of the money. Once their monopoly is secure they'll cut their staff level to the bare minimum and spend very little

The problem is finding someone to fund the infrastructure, payment processing is an international business now so there's no obvious reason for national governments to invest. Irish banks still charge mad money for international payments.

I think if we do go fully cashless it'll be a long time from now but it'll soon be unusual to use cash. AIB already charge for every ATM withdrawal, making it cheaper to use a credit card day to day.

Credit cards are currently inconvenient for small purchases because if the time taken to enter a PIN and wait for authorization, when Wave & Pay comes along you won't need to enter a PIN for every transaction. With better broadband speeds it should be possible to process PIN payments quicker as well.

Cash is expensive to accept because it's hard to secure and transport and it takes time to count, it also had to be counted almost every time it changes hands.

hardCopy wrote: »
    The problem is finding someone to fund the infrastructure, payment processing is an international business now so there's no obvious reason for national governments to invest. Irish banks still charge mad money for international payments.

I think if we do go fully cashless it'll be a long time from now but it'll soon be unusual to use cash. AIB already charge for every ATM withdrawal, making it cheaper to use a credit card day to day.

Credit cards are currently inconvenient for small purchases because if the time taken to enter a PIN and wait for authorization, when Wave & Pay comes along you won't need to enter a PIN for every transaction. With better broadband speeds it should be possible to process PIN payments quicker as well.

Cash is expensive to accept because it's hard to secure and transport and it takes time to count, it also had to be counted almost every time it changes hands.

'wave and pay' is also terribly insecure. if the terminals are easy to get then a few well placed ones could be picking up cards and charging small amounts that would go unnoticed for quite a while.

banks have been charging for atm withdrawals since the year dot. maybe there will be a successor to bitcoin or something that will run without dedicated infrastructure. it has to be possible but i don't think bitcoin the way it is will be it since theres a lot of problems with it

'wave and pay' is also terribly insecure. if the terminals are easy to get then a few well placed ones could be picking up cards and charging small amounts that would go unnoticed for quite a while.

banks have been charging for atm withdrawals since the year dot. maybe there will be a successor to bitcoin or something that will run without dedicated infrastructure. it has to be possible but i don't think bitcoin the way it is will be it since theres a lot of problems with it

The terminals themselves will probably be relatively easy to get, but you'd presumably need a valid merchant account to get connected to a payment processor and deduct payments.

It'll be interesting to see if someone can come up with a way of picking pockets over the air.

I haven't used bitcoin but it would need some way of handling face to face payments to take off in daily use.

The banks have always charged for withdrawals but they always waved those charges for most customers, getting charged €20-€40 per quarter will be new to most people. Although they'll probably charge 20 cent a pop for Wave & Pay as well.

• Advertisement

I'm more of a tit man.

Before he died, my oul granda sat me up on his knee and gave me some advice that I still remember 30 years later and that I'll take with me to the grave.

Says he "Bizmuth, there's two types of men in this world. Ass men, and tit men. And we both know tit men aren't really men at all".

His other piece of wisdom was "never trust a hippie".

Wise man. Very misunderstood. Years before his time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Misleading thread title is misleading.

Was working myself up for nothing.

Very disappointed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Bums can surivive on cans of dutch gold, rolling tobacco and the odd bit of craic/heroin here and there. If they get special stamps to purchase these everyday they will live to be 500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

There's an app for that nowadays! I was at a market & the guy had a sign up "accepts laser, credit card" so I paid with laser. A handy little thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

antodeco wrote: »

Which town? Borris-on-Ossory?
    Be it Dublin, Toomeyvara, or Limerick, a bum is a bum.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Will work for food

Advertisement