Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

motion sensor bulb?

Options
  • 21-10-2012 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭

Hiya,

Anyone know if its possible to get a motion sensor bulb for a light in the toilet ceiling, 3 year old daughter has my head dizzy with the amount of times she wants the light turned on to use the toilet :rolleyes:. I'm looking for something that will turn on when someone walks into the toilet and off when they leave.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

What about one of these ?

rspro500.jpg

This is an energy efficient light fitting with a builtin presence detector.
    Stinel make very high quality products with a 3 year warranty.

They can be purchased form Eurosales

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭gifted

Hiya 2011,

They look the job but the price..:o..rather get up and down to switch the light on :D, but thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

gifted wrote: »
    Hiya,

Anyone know if its possible to get a motion sensor bulb for a light in the toilet ceiling, 3 year old daughter has my head dizzy with the amount of times she wants the light turned on to use the toilet :rolleyes:. I'm looking for something that will turn on when someone walks into the toilet and off when they leave.

Thanks.

A 3 watt LED can be left on all night and will cost you next to nothing to run. This is your cheapest and easiest option. If you don't want the bother of switching it on at night and off in the morning then the cost will rise by the amount for a light sensor - but why bother? If I do the math for you that is roughly one light on for 12 hours a day x 365 days per year = 13.14kWh. If you multiply that by your current charge per unit of electricity = 13 x 0.18c = €2.36?? You need to include the capital cost of the bulb so add say €10 but it may last 50,000 hours; so = 11 years.

How many bulbs per proposed sensor light?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hiya 2011,

They look the job but the price..:o..rather get up and down to switch the light on :D, but thanks :)
    I did not look at the price to be honest. I just Googled to find an example.

I bought a similar looking Stinel light a few years back. It cost me about €60 but used a "normal" Edison Screw lamp and not LEDs. I am sure that Eurosales or Kellighers would be able to source a similar one to mine for about €60.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

2011 wrote: »

So one member can talk about fitting an LED bulb into the bathroom,and his post remains,but my post simply showing a 3 watt led B22 bulb is removed???

Why do I bother helping out,when my posts are removed???:(

freddyuk wrote: »
    A 3 watt LED can be left on all night and will cost you next to nothing to run. This is your cheapest and easiest option. If you don't want the bother of switching it on at night and off in the morning then the cost will rise by the amount for a light sensor - but why bother? If I do the math for you that is roughly one light on for 12 hours a day x 365 days per year = 13.14kWh. If you multiply that by your current charge per unit of electricity = 13 x 0.18c = €2.36?? You need to include the capital cost of the bulb so add say €10 but it may last 50,000 hours; so = 11 years.

How many bulbs per proposed sensor light?

Good idea.And as you said,around 10 euro for a bulb.

Hiya,

Thanks.

How about a light bulb with a motion dector built into it?

Leave the light switch on,and when your daughter needs the loo,the light will come on automaticly,when she walks into the toilet.The light will then go back out after a few minutes.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/E27-PIR-Infrared-Motion-Sensor-6-LED-Light-Bulb-Lamp-6W-/390435637471

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-E27-36-SMD-Led-Warm-White-PIR-Motion-Sensor-Light-Bulb-AC230V-/260919245010

Adjustable motion dector bulb.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/E27-High-Power-Led-PIR-Occupancy-Motion-Sensor-Light-Bulb-Lamp-5W-Day-White-UK-/280775075357

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭gifted

paddy147 wrote: »
    How about a light bulb with a motion dector built into it?

Leave the light switch on,and when your daughter needs the loo,the light will come on automaticly,when she walks into the toilet.The light will then go back out after a few minutes.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/E27-PIR-Infrared-Motion-Sensor-6-LED-Light-Bulb-Lamp-6W-/390435637471

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-E27-36-SMD-Led-Warm-White-PIR-Motion-Sensor-Light-Bulb-AC230V-/260919245010

Adjustable motion dector bulb.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/E27-High-Power-Led-PIR-Occupancy-Motion-Sensor-Light-Bulb-Lamp-5W-Day-White-UK-/280775075357[/QUOTE]

Hi Paddy,

There just what I'm looking for, thanks for that :)

Hi Paddy,

There just what I'm looking for, thanks for that :)

No problem.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Aren't bathroom lights enclosed units ? Will the bulb work for them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

I do foresee a potential problem with this idea. The on cycle lasts up to 90 seconds. If you daughter is on the loo it will go off and cause some consternation or worse. If she understands that she needs to keep waving her arms about then fine but just leave the light on to make it simple and safe.
    Also paying such a low price means it is probably not going to last long anyway so you need to factor in replacement costs. Check the sellers negative feedback. Make your choice then.

Advertisement