Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing old rose fitting

Options
  • 21-10-2012 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

I'm replacing an old light fitting possibly from the 70's. The existing light fitting has 2 black wires attached separately and the switch has 1 red wire and 1 black. Can anyone advise?? :confused:

**Just noted the fitting is a two terminal batten lampholder**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

at the light fitting one of the wires is the neutral and the other is the switched live (should be red but is probably joined somewhere)

to find out which wire is the live get a phase tester and test the wires at the light fitting switch the switch off and the light on the phase tester will go off

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

123MEE wrote: »
    I'm replacing an old light fitting possibly from the 70's.

Time for a rewire I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i'd use the non-contact tester if possible for a quick polarity check

not that it's critically important for a ceiling rose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It sounds like the switch wire from the light switch is black, as the switch has a black and red wire at it. So this is probably going up to the ceiling rose, so the rose has 2 blacks at it.

Advertisement