Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any experience freezing crepe/pancake batter?

Options
  • 21-10-2012 12:09pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So there's only one of me, and my other half doesnt like pancakes (I know, I know, but I still love him). My usual pancake batter scaled down to the point of one egg is still a bit too much for one person, and I was wondering does anyone freeze pancake batter, and how they get on with it?

(My usual recipe is 8oz flour, 1pt milk, and 2 eggs (forgive the imperial, it's from an old cookbook), it's a good allround thin batter for sweet or savoury crepes, as there's no raising agent in it, I think it *might* be freezable, but I'm not sure how it'll turn out)

Oh, and I'd rather not cook and reheat them, as reheated pancakes do be mad rubbery IME

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'd be concerned about the egg.

Perhaps do some scrambled / poached eggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

My batter is an egg per person and enough flour and milk to get the consistency I want, and it's a good amount for one person, the sheer hassle of freezing it (if it's possible) wouldn't be worth it considering how easy it is to make it fresh with very little leftover, the amount of waste is negligible, wouldn't be worth your while.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

I can't say my pancakes have ever been rubbery after reheating. My mother's oth yes. She uses less butter or oil in the pan than I do and they do turn out dry/rubbery.
    I even freeze pancakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I make it using 1 cup of flour, 1 egg and 1 cup of flour. It makes 10 pancakes which I make for myself over 2 days. I found the batter lasts in the fridge for 3 or 4 days. It might separate and look a bit strange but it just needs a good mix

Advertisement