Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canadian Viza.

Options
  • 21-10-2012 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Has anybody here any experience with applying for a viza to go to Canada? There seems to be so many options viza wise and the government website is not all that helpful. Also these bloody sites that offer to set it all up for you and find you a job want a fortune to do it.

Hypothetically if a 40yr old guy wanted to get into Canada to work what would be the best way to do that legally? 15yrs experience in factory setting but no formal University qualifications only a good leaving cert.

Australia is no longer an option but no matter where it seems to be really expensive getting through the red tape. I mean if i could get a job to save the roughly 4k to go to Australia then i wouldn't need to go at all, because i would have a job.

Not sure if you can get a firm in Canada to sponsor you and get in that way? Just looking for some advice really. Ultimately i want to work part time and study as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PrettyPolly155

If you're over 35 you have to find a job before you go in order to get a Visa, which means you have to work for that company and if you get let go, you have to return home. (if you're between 18 & 35 you can get a work travel visa)

I went to a working abroad expo recently where they gave us all the information. There might be another on soon, but I don't think so until next year:

http://www.workingabroad.net/expo/index.html

If you go onto the Dublin section of that site, there's information about the sort of jobs they're looking for and a list of the exhibitors who were at the seminar. Some of them were recruitment agencies. I think one was called Diamond, where you send them your CV and they find you a job and help with the Visa.

Also there's a really good site set up by two irish guys called moving2canada.com (that have GREAT information)

As for studying, I don't really know how the visa works for that. Maybe find a course and contact a college!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭deadman1972

Thanks Polly, its hard to know what to do really,i mean the age thing seems to be a huge factor and i was not expecting that. I suppose if i could find a job over there while i was still here that would help a lot.Seems nobody wants old farts like me lol.

Have gone through a questionaire on one of those links you gave me polly and it is not looking good i am afraid. First i tried the route of wanting to leave here to study in Canada,got a not elligible for federal process reply. Then tried same for working in Canada and got the same not elligible reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PrettyPolly155

Because I'm in my twenties, I can get the work travel visa so I haven't really looked at the getting a job first route. I think you can email the guys from the moving2canada.com site. Might be worth dropping them a mail to ask more about that route?? I think if you can find a job suitable then you should be able to get a visa... but don't quote me on that.

Thanks polly i have emailed the guys on moving2canada.com and explained my situation so i hope they can put me out of my misery lol. You would think experience would count for something but obviously not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

:(Logic, common sense and being in touch with reality has nothing to do with Canadian Immigration. It really is a different world.

Oh ya Stefan everybody swore Canada would be so much easier to get into than Aussie, like hell it is, if anything its more red tape. The only thing they both have in common is that if you are over 35yrs old neither wants to know you full stop. At least with Canada you don't have to have so much saved in the bank first before you go over.

Its damn depressing i tell ya, talk about making me feel ancient, i am 40 not dead. Anyway seems no matter how genuine or willing to work you are if you are an old fart like me they do not want you in either Canada or Australia.

Hey maybe i should try Iraq or Afghanistan i might have better luck?:rolleyes:

I know, I am very lucky to be laeving next month myself at my age. My brother lives in France and he loves it there, settled down with a missus and two brats. Realistically, the E.U. is the simplest way. Germany, Holland, France etc. are truly great countries and you could do a lot worse than just those three. Although stick to the cold ones as the warm ones are in a bit of bother as we all know.
    Most people in most of the big European countries understand or speak English so it really will not be a big a hurdle for you, (my brother lives in the champagne region of France and no one wants to learn english there) stick to the big cities and you'll do fine. Look up where the pharmaceutical companies/plants are and try your luck. You have absolutely nothing to lose, just take the plunge.
    Europe is only two to three hours flight time away, in the big scale of things that is nothing, have breakfast in Prague and tea in Dungarvan !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't get too disheartened, Internet, rucksack, Ryanair and Go Go Go.

Thanks stefan, Europe may indeed be the simplest but it is definetly not the best in the medium to long term IMHO at the moment. Every day on the news we hear of economies in EU countries collapsing or on the verge of collapse, EU rolls in and takes over everything. I have seen it happen here in Ireland and it is only going to get worse. I believe that those countries in EU that have not already gone the way of the Irish economy will eventually end up the same way, with the possible exception of Germany and France.

If i was to go the EU route then either Germany or France would be my choice,probably France first and Germany second. No need vizas so one less problem. Not sure if work permits needed? Actually thanks for the suggestion i had not really considered it,sitting here now though it may indeed be the easier and better option.

So say for arguments sake i picked France,what would be the first step? I would prefer rural settings though and small towns to the big cities so where does that leave me?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

• Advertisement

I will ask my brother and get back to you. He has worked, travelled and lived all over Europe and the Middle East so he should have a good idea about permits, rights and so on. As for learning a language, we speaking english are very lucky and ignorant towards other dialects, my brother lives in a village an hour outside Paris with just thirty houses there and no shop or anything. That is rural. I'll ask him about our 'town' sized towns, but with your background in factories you will wanting to be in touching distance with some populated area for their work force. I'll catch him soon when he is not tending somebodys grape vines. Do your research on pharmaceutical plants all over Europe and you just might stumble over something. This time next year you could be tapping baguettes and have an attitude problem.

Thanks stefan,some would say i already have an attitude problem LOL. All help is appreciated. areyawell thanks for the link.

Just spoke to my brother and there is no restrictions at all regarding working or moving through any of th E.U. countries. He has lived and worked in Holland and Germany and suggested that if your french is not up to scratch then you will struggle in France as they have their policy that we are french, we speak french, we live in France, we must listen to french music, cook the best french food, drink french wine because we are french. Insular, but it works very well for them.
    Just as the Poles, Russians, Lithuanians etc. came in their droves over here and the U.K. then you are also free to travel and work also. The Germans and the Dutch are generally decent people to work for, straightforward and honest with mostly good english so maybe there would be an easier transition.
    Yes, there are other countries in the sh$t but realistically these countries mentioned are and will be in a far better position than Ireland will be in your lifetime I regret to say. If you have any other questions just ask.
    P.S. My brother strongly suggested Israel, great weather, loads of building work, lots of opportunities BUT that was seventeen years ago. Holland - laid back, Germany - efficiant.

Thanks stefan, Israel thats actually kind of an appealing thought. Israel would appeal to me quite a bit actually as a place to work and live. Must look into that one. Yes i know the french can be a bit snooty towards blow ins, Germany is nothing if not efficient. Did your brother suggest any country which might be my best option in my circumstances? I have been looking around tonight and a lot of jobs seem to be in IT which holds no interest for me though i do know how to use computers. Any outdoor work in an agricultural enviroment or working with animals would be a major interest for me and one i am very familiar with growing up.

Thanks again for your help and thank your brother. If you think of any other suggestions please let me know i would appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

There's always a slim chance of emigrating to the US via the Diversity Visa Lotto

Thanks cushie i will look into that but looks like a Hail Mary pass, however better than nothing so thanks. I will have to look further afield i think since USA and Australia seem to have so many barriers even for legitimate workers.

Advertisement