Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lighting circuit

Options
  • 21-10-2012 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Can I connect a lighting circuit to an RCD?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

warrior00 wrote: »
    for what reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

warrior00 wrote: »

There is nothing stopping you doing that. Bathroom lights are now connected to their own RCD, usually by means of a 10 amp RCBO.

Why is it you want to do it?

I wouldnt connect it to an RCD that had other circuits on it anyway. That would be asking for trouble with being left in the dark if something else trips the RCD.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    I wouldnt connect it to an RCD that had other circuits on it anyway. That would be asking for trouble with being left in the dark if something else trips the RCD.

usually ok for gu-10 path lights and lighting sockets( if there's a centre light in the room)

M cebee wrote: »
    usually ok for gu-10 path lights and lighting sockets( if there's a centre light in the room)

Yea its fine then alright. I was more thinking if the op meant about connecting the main house lighting to the RCD for some reason.

• Advertisement

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Yea its fine then alright. I was more thinking if the op meant about connecting the main house lighting to the RCD for some reason.

generally no need here
    although its done in the uk
    they require 30ma protection on flush wiring-either dual rcd boards or all rcbo afaik

Advertisement