Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine..

Options
  • 21-10-2012 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hello,Hoping someone can explain to me a few things...
    In NUIG The entry points are 480,with achievable grades.
    But why does it then say 745 points entry requirements!?!? I will sit my leaving cert 2013,and hope to score 500-520 points,And would love to get into medicine. And its happy days when it says 480 points,but then it says 745??
    Can somebody please explain :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

You would also have to sit the HPAT exam and your results in that are combined with your Leaving Cert points for medicine entry.
    Do you not have a career guidance teacher in your school to explain these things to you and tell you if your ambitions are realistic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

echo beach wrote: »
    Do you not have a career guidance teacher in your school to explain these things to you and tell you if your ambitions are realistic?

I didn't realise career guidance teachers were in the business of limiting peoples ambitions

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Maddenman

It's a much quicker reply here, I am not wondering if my ambitions are realistic or not but thanks all the same. Our CG teacher is in school 1 day a week due to Budget cuts,with 100 leaving certs its a big waiting list to meet her :)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

Maddenman wrote: »
    But why does it then say 745 points entry requirements!?!? I will sit my leaving cert 2013,and hope to score 500-520 points,And would love to get into medicine. And its happy days when it says 480 points,but then it says 745??

Just to lay it out for your situation:

Assuming you scored 520 total points in your LC, these would be combined with your HPAT score. The points last year at NUIG for Medicine were 736. This means you would have had to score 216 points in the HPAT.

216 points in last years HPAT examination would mean you were in the 99th percentile. You would have beaten or be equal to 99% of all people taking the HPAT.

So you would either need a very high HPAT score or a higher points bracket than you're expecting at the moment in order to compete. Obviously this isn't impossible, you'll know yourself what you're capable of and if you really want it then don't let anybody stop you trying, but be wary of the level of competition and your chances of making it. Good luck with whatever you do!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Maddenman

Okay well when you put it like that,I don't really stand a chance and I know how competitive Medicine is.

So I've been reading a lot of online forums in relation to MED and that..
    In a few of them there are people stating that scotland or UK generally is a lot easier to get into medicine over there, One comment was like.." Why are ye all so stressed about getting into UCG and UCD,when I've got offers in scotland!"
    And others just explaining how its easier to do it, But they don't explain how to go by doing it? So if anyone could help me with this one I'd really appreciate it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Joeyjoejoe83

I didn't realise career guidance teachers were in the business of limiting peoples ambitions

That's exactly what they are in the business of doing! They have to be realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

Okay well when you put it like that,I don't really stand a chance and I know how competitive Medicine is.

In a few of them there are people stating that scotland or UK generally is a lot easier to get into medicine over there, One comment was like.." Why are ye all so stressed about getting into UCG and UCD,when I've got offers in scotland!"
    And others just explaining how its easier to do it, But they don't explain how to go by doing it? So if anyone could help me with this one I'd really appreciate it :)

There's too much involved to detail it. Maybe start off on the UCAS website, or better yet going to the individual colleges. I would point out that since the competition for EU students is higher than ever in Scotland (and you can only apply to 4 universities for Medicine) your odds are better in England & Wales where there are no free fees. I'd bet if you phone them up and give them your details at this time of year the Admissions offices will be happy to relate to you the sort of chance you have. Requirements vary quite a bit between universities so check them all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭j.mcdrmd

There was a very comprehensive thread on here about this a while ago which you might find useful.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056365715

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Rosetiarna

So say if you get 500 in your LC not including the h-pat is that high enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

Rosetiarna wrote: »
    So say if you get 500 in your LC not including the h-pat is that high enough?

If you go here http://hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au/results
    you can see the results from the HPAT over the last 4 years. While the maximum score is theoretically 300, the highest is 220-240 depending on the year.

Check out the CAO website for what points were like for each of the undergraduate medical schools http://www2.cao.ie/points/lv8_12.pdf
    Points were from 736 (Galway) to 746 (Trinity).

So if you got 500 in your LC, and got the highest HPAT in the country of 240, you would be eligible for Galway and Cork and random selection for RCSI.

The minimum 480 points requirement is just that, a minimum, and if demand exceeds supply then the number of points required goes up.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Skinhead Kane

LMAO at this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Rosetiarna

Abby19 wrote: »
    If you go here http://hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au/results
    you can see the results from the HPAT over the last 4 years. While the maximum score is theoretically 300, the highest is 220-240 depending on the year.

Check out the CAO website for what points were like for each of the undergraduate medical schools http://www2.cao.ie/points/lv8_12.pdf
    Points were from 736 (Galway) to 746 (Trinity).

So if you got 500 in your LC, and got the highest HPAT in the country of 240, you would be eligible for Galway and Cork and random selection for RCSI.

The minimum 480 points requirement is just that, a minimum, and if demand exceeds supply then the number of points required goes up.

Hope this helps.

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭positivealf

Sorry for bumping but I'm a bit curious on how OP thought he/she did on his/her leaving cert :S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Sorry for bumping but I'm a bit curious on how OP thought he/she did on his/her leaving cert :S

The results aren't out until the 14th of August, however the HPAT results are already out so one would have a reasonable idea from that if they have a chance at it or not!

EDIT: Sorry I only saw just there how he/she *thought* she did! My mistake!

Advertisement