Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Warmer Homes Scheme issue

• 21-10-2012 3:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭

We applied for the scheme earlier in the year and a surveyor appointed by SEAi surveyed our property on the 5th June. At which time he approved us for the scheme, having provided all the necessary documentation. He advised us that we needed extra insulation in our loft space… This came as no surprise as the insulation was only an inch or two thick and very sparse. What did come as a surprise was that the new insulation would have to be 12inches thick and would necessitate the removal of the floored part of the loft space. We were advised that the work could be carried out at any time between that date and the end of the year so we would be best to clear the loft and remove the flooring as soon as we could practically do so. I set about doing exactly that. It was hard work, as I'm not the fittest, but I did it over three weekends. We also hired a skip to enable us to get rid of the detritus that accumulates over the years in an attic. When the floorboards were lifted, two things were obvious, firstly, that there was nowhere for us to store the wood, except outside [so it is now of little use except to be broken up as firewood; secondly that there was no insulation at all under the flooring. To aid the workmen, I decided to remove what small amount of insulation remained in the loft and to install that in the eaves areas that the workmen were apparently going to have to insulate. Figuring that this would lead to less work for them, and less disruption to my wife when the workmen would arrive.

In July we received a further visit from a gentlemen representing the SEAI who came to make more measurements, check vents and supplied us with a few energy saving light bulbs. He informed us that they would be working in our area in August. We believed we would be dealt with at this time. August came and went, then about three weeks ago my wife called SEAI to get an update on the situation, and was shocked to learn that on the 27th August a letter had been sent to the SEAI suggesting that data is inconclusive as to the benefits of insulating dormer bungalows… and that as a result of this letter we would not have any work carried out in our loft.

So of course the problem here is that we were approved for the scheme before the issue of this letter, we undertook works in accordance with instructions given to us by an appointed surveyor. We now have been inconvenienced in several ways, no storage space in our loft, no insulation at all in our loft, wasted materials [the wood] costs incurred for the skip, costs wasted on the works that were carried out years ago when the floor was put into the loft space. We were willing to sacrifice the storage space for a warmer home. The result is that after our experience with the SEAI we are in fact worse off.

I have written to the SEAi about this to give them a chance to correct the situation as they are due to pump the walls on the 31st October. So far - [Two weeks] there has been no reply.

Anyone else experienced this or have any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 AlanConnolly

Fatboydim wrote: »
    ............. on the 27th August a letter had been sent to the SEAI suggesting that data is inconclusive as to the benefits of insulating dormer bungalows… and that as a result of this letter we would not have any work carried out in our loft.
    ?

Have you any more info on this letter. I'm in the business (but don't work in Warmer Homes Scheme) have have not heard anything about this.

Regards.

Alan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

No it's just what we've been told. The SEAi guys are coming tomorrow to pump the walls... Spoke on the phone to them today, and apparently there's a huge number of people effected... Maybe not all ripping up floors, but still.

And no further word yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

are the grants being stopped or curtailed do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭caesarthechimp

Fatboydim wrote: »
    We applied for the scheme earlier in the year and a surveyor appointed by SEAi surveyed our property ......

In July we received a further visit from a gentlemen representing the SEAI who came to make more measurements, check vents and supplied us with a few energy saving light bulbs. He informed us that they would be working in our area in August. ...........
    then about three weeks ago my wife called SEAI to get an update on the situation, and was shocked to learn that on the 27th August a letter had been sent to the SEAI suggesting that data is inconclusive as to the benefits of insulating dormer bungalows…
    First find out who you are dealing with. Maybe its a local organisation or a local contractor? Was "the surveyor" the same person as "the gentleman checking the vents etc" and who sent the letter to SEAI re dormer bungalows?
    It seems like somebody led you up the garden path alright, and you might need to get a solicitor on the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

I've has a response from the SEAi who say that my case does seems exceptional and that they are looking into it as a matter of urgency. I've been waiting on an update before posting a result. The communication I got from them was 7th Nov. So hopefully have more of an idea next week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement