Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish History Blog - Visions Of The Past

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Ed_Visions wrote: »
    Hi all,

I think people here might have an interest in this blog I have been putting together over the past few months, still very much a work in progress and lots of tinkering to be done.

Anyway please visit the blog here: http://visionsofthepastblog.wordpress.com/

Any comments are welcomed.

Good work, Ed. Not sure if the mods here will allow this thread to go on as they can be very dogmatic about the charter. But two suggestions:

1) Perhaps you could make the print bold under the headings, e.g. "The last few times..." The writing is not distinct enough.

2) The photos need to be taken with more light. 'OUGHTERARD ROUND TOWER & CHURCH' and 'OWEYNAGAT CAVE & SOUTERRAIN' being the most difficult to see on your website. I would remove them totally and only put better ones up.

Some other suggestions:

1) I would arrange the photos chronologically or thematically. At present they convey little or no historic information regarding their period, etc.

2) While your site is fundamentally good, I would pay a visit to a webdesign forum and ask people what would be a more appropriate blog/site to use to make your site. You need an index on the front page, and a statement of intent. Perhaps narrow the focus of your site to those areas which interest you most - e.g. pre-Christian sites; Bronze Age sites; monastic sites, etc.

Le dea-mhéin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ed_Visions

Hello Seanchai,

Thanks for your comments, indeed I do need to do some serious work around the layout and design. I've been noting people's suggestions and I guess when we get into the wetter winter months I'll have less time to trek around and more time to actually get my head around basic programming! Well thats the aim. Also in regards the photos, the idea would be that I would revisit a couple of the sites, especially the ones your referring to and retake the photos. Unfortunately sometimes the weather gods have been against me though part of me actually likes the gloominess of the photos too I guess!

In regards narrowing the focus of the blog I don't think I could really do that. I know it would help to be more specific sometimes though I think essentially this blog is more about my love of exploring all types of place and period and the experience thereof than any serious academic tome. Thanks for all the suggestions though.

Lastly, I know mods can get annoyed with people posting sites up, but I hope whoever they are can see its not a commercial enterprise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Ed_Visions wrote: »
    Lastly, I know mods can get annoyed with people posting sites up, but I hope whoever they are can see its not a commercial enterprise :)

Refer to forum charter specifically "No links to personal blogs without contextual discussion."

For clarity the point of this is because we want discussion here on the forum rather than elsewhere. Moreover when the link to a blog comes from a person who is not a regular contributor on the forum there is no valid reason to accept it as more than simply using the forum as an advertisement site.

moderator.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement