Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway city weight loss group

Options
  • 21-10-2012 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

hello, i would like to set up a weight loss self support group in galway city with some other women who would like to meet once a week without paying 10 to weight watchers etc . i need to lose quite a lot of weight but maybe just set realistic 1 pound a week goal for a small group, if you are interested let me know and we could try and come up with a supportive system without involving profit making organisations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 weight2lose

I live in Galway and am interested in a weight loss support group too. What are your ideas - what day of the week, time of day, weekly weigh ins. where to meet?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mcuna

hi,i was thinking of meeting once a week for a weigh in and maybe making a kitty that we add to every week and split at the end - maybe 6 weeks to xmas to start with- add 5 euro if you lose 2 pounds or more 10 if you don't then split the money after 6 or 12 weeks. i am flexible about times but evening probably easier i work 9- 3- do you have any ideas ? i just resent giving money to ww etc but need some form of motivation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Why involve money at all ?

How are you trying to lose the weight? Exercise? Proper eating habits?

Do you go to a gym? I find great motivation by going to classes. Everyone is pretty much there for the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

meet at mcdonalds!

youd have to go pay for advertising etc?

why not just "do" weight watchers without going to the meetings?

yes, exercise and healthy eating are what is needed and gym classes are great but this is more about getting a very small group of women together to motivate each other rather than going to a class , as we all have different ways of exercise diet a lot of my friends have joined weight watchers etc and found it helped , i was thinking that it might help motivate to have a saving up element too,to add the weigh in pressure that seems to work for other people, how we lose the weight would be up to each person but i imagine the standard less food more exercise

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Tbh I don't think this is a great idea.

You are basically offering weight watchers without it actually being weight watchers (and weight watchers isn't particularly that healthy).

What I think a better idea would be is to go to a class, find a buddy, tell each other your goals etc and use that person as your motivator.

I know loads of girls in my gym do this.

Also, there's a gym in Galway that is class based and they offer a weekly weigh-in service if you want it. They'll also have classes on weight management and healthy eating. Let me know if you want the name of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 weight2lose

I agree that no money should be involved....it creates issue of trust, responsibility, opportunity for people to feel cheated, etc.

I don't think pressure helps with losing weight. Some people eat more in relation to stress, so not a good idea.

"IF" you go forward and start a support group, it should only be for support. To talk and share information, possibly a weigh in for those who need the accountability.

I am choosing not to participate since BEFORE the group has even started, I can feel tension over how to go forward.

Perhaps you should have a solid plan, THEN come back with the details that have already been thought thru??

Thanks

in reply to both, I am not offering anything , just looking for some other women who have a lot of weight to lose , once we meet we can decide on a formula, some people find the commitment of slimming world etc helps, Personally I want something that will make me commit, I am not at all proposing that we follow their diet. We are all different If you think this is a bad idea, that's fine, this thread is not for you, no need for capitals,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

There's a serious air of defensiveness and lack of collaboration here already. Proceed with care guys. Proceed with care :)

I agree, not going to pursue this further, pity

• Advertisement
Advertisement