Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run in an Xbox 360?

Options
  • 21-10-2012 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'm considering swapping my old PS3(60GB, 3/4 years old) with a friends old 360 (arcade, 3/4 years old).
    Can anyone give me some tips on how to make sure it's running well and will last a while? Other than running a few games for a while and such. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Wing126 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm considering swapping my old PS3(60GB, 3/4 years old) with a friends old 360 (arcade, 3/4 years old).
    Can anyone give me some tips on how to make sure it's running well and will last a while? Other than running a few games for a while and such. Thanks!

I would personally not go for that deal. The arcade xbox 360 model is quite old at this stage and they are quite unreliable (someone can correct me if I'm wrong though) and, while it may never have a problem, it probably would end up getting the 3 red rings at some point and with no warranty you'd be running a bit of a risk. Also the internal memory on that model is practically non-existant (512mb) and if you planned to do any downloading of any kind, you'd have to buy a hard drive addon, also some games now require you to have a hard drive to even play online (I think Halo Reach was one).

I think your 60gb PS3 would be worth more then his arcade 360. If you really want to get an xbox, I would try selling your console on adverts and then buying a new 250gb 360. Just my opinion though.

In terms of your original query, there really is no way to test how reliable it is. It could be working fine for 6 months with no signs of problems and then suddenly you turn it on one day and it'll stop working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Thanks for the reply.
    The 360 does have a hard drive and the person I'm swapping with is trustworthy, however I was told that it has been sitting unused for 2 maybe 3 years. But then again my 60GB has also been sitting unused since 2009 when I got the slim model.

I would put the PS3 on adverts but the fan runs very very loudly after 5-10 minutes of sitting in the menu screen. It did download the latest update without problems though so I'm fairly certain there's nothing wrong.

Once again, thanks for the reply. You've given me some things to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Wing126 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.
    The 360 does have a hard drive and the person I'm swapping with is trustworthy, however I was told that it has been sitting unused for 2 maybe 3 years. But then again my 60GB has also been sitting unused since 2009 when I got the slim model.

I would put the PS3 on adverts but the fan runs very very loudly after 5-10 minutes of sitting in the menu screen. It did download the latest update without problems though so I'm fairly certain there's nothing wrong.

Once again, thanks for the reply. You've given me some things to think about.

No problem. Ah I see, he must have upgraded it himself at some point then as the arcade didn't originally come with a hard drive (its since been discontinued).

It wouldn't be the trust worthiness of your friend I'd be worrying about but rather that those earlier models of 360s are notoriously unreliable and seem to all break down at some point. I have a model from around that time (2008 I got it) and I got the red rings once, but thankfully it was within warrenty and they fixed it very quickly at no cost to me.

Another thing to think about is if you need wireless on the console as this model doesn't have WiFi built in and you need a seperate, fairly pricey dongle for it if you need WiFi (unless your friend already has an adapter).

Not sure about your ps3 fan issue, might be wise to do some research and find out if this is a common issue and is it likely to be on the way out.

I personally wouldn't get a second hand 360 pre the re-designed model as they were notorious for being unreliable.

Yeah, I guess that's better to base it off of. I have checked out more stuff about the arcade model since seeing your post and the general consensus is not to go with one, so I'll be declining the trade.

Ah okay, I'll check it out more, last thing I'd want to do is **** over someone by selling a console that's near dead. I think at best, I could sell it for spare parts, to be safe.

Thanks very much man!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Sounds like a fair swap to me.

Your PS3 is about the same age and the laser has been known to go faulty in the older models too.

• Advertisement

Well I declined the trade anyway. Was told the same kind of things by my friend, neither of us know whether they'll fail or not and he said not to bother if I'm unsure. I'm thinking now of putting the PS3 on adverts after giving it a little dusting.

Thanks for the replies guys, a mod can close this thread now.

Advertisement