Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2013?Electricial work where to head?:)

Options
  • 21-10-2012 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hey guys i plan on applyin for a visa in jan wen they are out.my question is when i apply how long does it usually take to be granted the visa?and also when its granted is it activated fromtg date its granted or do i have the whole year to activate it? I have recieved my police clearance will that be still valid in jan?:)..iam headin solo so where would the best place to get electricial work be? My story is that i have the 7 phases of the irish electricial apprenticeship done but iam short a couple of months to make up the overall 4 years and fas has bascially said theres nothin they can do for me..so iam just wondering would there be much work for the likes,of me maybe as an electricial helper or trade assistant?:)..thanks soo much too whoever takes there time too comment :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dirtynelly

hey salmon
    im in the same boat as you,<did you get your craft cert tho ?> i got mine in plumbing.

it usually takes 6-12 weeks for the visa as far as i know,and you have a year from when granted to activate it

i be going solo aswll it seems ,alberta seems the hot spot now but BC seems to tickle my fancy:D

did you go to any jobs fairs?

sorry i cant be of more help -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Salmonfella

Ur lucky bud u got ur cert ..i have me 7 phase done but short couple months to male up my overall four years and fas wont do anthin iam sick of it at this stagr 5 years at it now :-(..no bud didnt go to any fairs did u? U will be sorted whete ever u go doh :-)

Hey thanks very much for your reply.as for the hours i have 9010 worked i didnt no you need a minuim of 72 months.yea that is called skills test theres a huge waiting list.its ran 4 times a year with 4 on each course at too differant locations so thats only 32 apprentices a year going through i was told i could be waiting a year or more i started my apprenticeship in nov 07 i dont no what to do thats why i looked at goin somwhere till i get called for the skills test as i dont really fancy haveing to stay on the dole till i get called for it:/..have offered to work for my dole go on jobsbridge to finish my time, even work for free and fas have refused all my suggestions dont no what to do.thanks for all the comments so far lads :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

el diablo wrote: »
    You need at least 72 months AND 8775 hours to gain an electrical licence for Alberta. There are no exceptions. I'm not sure about the other provinces.

I've heard of FAS holding courses for electricians to finish their apprenticeship. There was one happening in Baldoyle during the summer I think.

Thats right in Alberta you need both 72 months eperience AND 8775 hours but in all other provinces you only need to have 9000 hours expereicne. But in your situation it not having your cert will mean you will not be able to work anywhere im afraid. Fas are bloody useless!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

el diablo wrote: »
    I have my trade cert for several years. I was referring to Salmonfella above. ;)

sorry i was meant to refer that bit to salmonfella

• Advertisement

Sure its a total joke and i say each month theres being more and more added to the list yea its only ran in 2 locations baldoyle and shannon.so its gona be a long wait like i got credits every exam studied and worked as hard as i could and for what nothing dunno why i taught my little book wit me 7 stickers would get me a job in canada dunno what iam gona do now:/

Advertisement