Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joining the RDF

• 21-10-2012 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey guys, My name is Dave, and I'm interested in joining the RDF (Reserve Defense Force) I Live in Galway city and am 17 years of age, I have a few questions I'd like to ask and if anyone can help me I'd appreciate it a lot.

1. Is there a fitness test that needs to be done to join?
    2. What is the pay? and how does it go? i.e (Per week, Per two weeks etc..)
    3 I'm currently on Medication for Depression and anxiety, will that effect my chances of being accepted?
    4. Do I have to wait long to start my training or exercises etc?

Thank you in advance, Dave. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DaveRDF

Bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

There is plenty of threads here if you search.

Or ring your local unit.

Check military.ie

• Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

DaveRDF wrote: »

Yeah its the same as the PDF (2.4km in 11mins40secs, 20 push ups in 1min, 20 situps in 1min)
    2. What is the pay? and how does it go? i.e (Per week, Per two weeks etc..)

You get paid for full time training. Current rate is €330/week but you're taxed on that and have to pay USC (you can claim it back though). You'll probably only do around 2-3 weeks FTT in a given year though. Outside of this, you're also given a gratuity paid once a year which varies depending on how many training nights you attend, how many training courses you take, how many duties you volunteer for etc.
    4. Do I have to wait long to start my training or exercises etc?

Have a look through other RDF recruitment threads to see what the process is like. It can be as quick as a few weeks or as long as a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Turbine wrote: »
    Yeah its the same as the PDF (2.4km in 11mins40secs, 20 push ups in 1min, 20 situps in 1min)

Is this new? I always thought the RDF didn't have an entry level physical fitness test and that they only had fitness tests for certain courses.

John_D80 wrote: »
    Is this new? I always thought the RDF didn't have an entry level physical fitness test and that they only had fitness tests for certain courses.

Yeah this year's recruits were the first to take it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Excellent. And about time too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

3 I'm currently on Medication for Depression and anxiety, will that effect my chances of being accepted?

Probably not as another poster has remarked you may not event get asked.

This is not the place to discuss your medical history. However what I would do is I would go back to whoever has prescribed that medication for you and ask them what their view is on you joining the RDF or your suitability for the RDF?

If they are in favour, then ask them if they would be prepared to write a letter of support if anyone makes an issue of it.

If they think the time is not right for you then maybe take that advice on board.

It is more problematic for a group like the RDF since by definition we use guns and profound depression and guns are not always a good mix. The odd bout of anxiety on the other hand might get you promoted. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

No - not for Entry.
    BUT the new recruit syllabus requires you to pass the Army Annual fitness test during recruit training - you cannot finish recruit training till you pass it.

If I remember, it is a question on the medical questionnaire so it will be asked. Galway cyclist has good advice on it. The recruit syllabus is not very forgiving so you have to decide for yourself if you have the commitment, tenacity and willpower to get through it. You don't want to be stuck in limbo trying year after year to pass the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

When commencing training, you must declare if you are taking any medication. If you are seen to use medication you have not declared at your medical at the beginning of training, you will be sent home. End of story, no questions asked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

When commencing training, you must declare if you are taking any medication. If you are seen to use medication you have not declared at your medical at the beginning of training, you will be sent home. End of story, no questions asked.

Yes I should have pointed this out. You have to declare any medication and you are subject to mandatory random drug testing once you join.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Is there an upper age limit to joining the RDF?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ruserious

Is there an upper age limit to joining the RDF?

35 for non prior service.

Doctor14 wrote: »
    No - not for Entry.
    BUT the new recruit syllabus requires you to pass the Army Annual fitness test during recruit training - you cannot finish recruit training till you pass it.

Should've clarified that it's done during recruit training and not a requirement for enlistment. However, it's not the annual (trained soldier) fitness test, it's the induction fitness test you take (same as for PDF recruitment).

Should've clarified that it's done during recruit training and not a requirement for enlistment. However, it's not the annual (trained soldier) fitness test, it's the induction fitness test you take (same as for PDF recruitment).
    No, looking at the syllabus now - it is the annual Fitness Test you must pass as part of your training.
    There is an initial "Fitness Assessment" but no details on what that is.

Doctor14 wrote: »
    No, looking at the syllabus now - it is the annual Fitness Test you must pass as part of your training.
    There is an initial "Fitness Assessment" but no details on what that is.

No it was definitely the induction fitness test.

No it was definitely the induction fitness test.
    No, latest syllabus which was conducted this year states it is the Annual Fitness test you must pass.
    We are talking about the same thing? RDF Recruit Training TI 18-11, Para 7, Star test 11. Also restated on Table 10.
    I would copy and paste but it is a Restricted document but I guarantee you that I am looking at it and it does say the annual test. And I saw the Recruits in S Bde being tested on the ANNUAL test, not the induction test.

Advertisement