Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clane 10k 21st Oct

Options
  • 21-10-2012 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

This appeared to be very badly organised from a traffic management point of view. The village was gridlocked for a long period this afternoon. Cars were let through but then found themselves stopped in a long line of traffic with nowhere to go. This resulted in people getting seriously frustrated sitting in their cars for ages. I'm sure the runners would prefer not to have to dodge cars while running too. Surely traffic could have been diverted away from the main street via the bypass? At one point, an ambulance struggled to get through the chaos. This seriously needs to be looked at if this is to be an annual event. The paddy's day parade is always well sign posted and stewarded but this appeared to be a bit of a shambles.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Traffic management was a disaster from what I could see.

A friend who was calling to me in Collegewood (Ballingappa Road) had to abandon her car at Tesco and walk up as
    1. She had no idea what was going on - nor had I in fact and
    2. She was sitting in the car for ages and not moving as the main street was closed and nobody seemed to know where to go.

I was in Naas myself and arrived back in Clane as the early runners were finishing and I was directed out the Prosperous road. I turned off at the hospital so I could come back around to Collegewood and ended up driving the race route with hundreds of people in the road in front of me. I didn't know that this was the race route and it was ridiculous that I was allowed drive down that road with no marshalling at all as there were hundreds of young kids walking.

It looked like a well attended event so it would be a shame for it no to become an annual event but the marshalling and traffic management needs a serious overhaul.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Claonadh1

Yeah, the 'fun' run wasn't much fun for those stuck in cars yesterday. It was great to see such it so well supported but they really need to think about the route/traffic plan for next year. A lot more signs are definitely needed too.

Advertisement