Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commerce or BIS?

• 21-10-2012 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Well I've looked at them both endless times, and I still can't make my mind up. Anyone here have any experience with these courses? Any info on what's involved in third year etc would be helpful as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Squareball2010

Commerce is what I would recommend as I'm doing it myself. Third year opens up a world of opportunities with a year abroad option in places like Glasgow, Finland, Frankfurt, San Diego, Boston, NYC, North Carolina, Canada etc. Failing to take up this option you have the choice between a Business Research Project in 3rd year for 6 months based in UCC on a company or a 6 month paid work placement in a renowned company either in Cork/Dublin or a few other locations.

There is no Year Abroad option in BIS.

The BComm is just a fantastic reputable general business degree with a wide array of interesting subjects/modules and a massive selection of potential career choices after graduating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Shatner

Yes, the BComm has a great reputation historically among employers. But the BComm degree today is very different from the one in the 80's.

UCC emasculated the BComm degree when they stopped you from majoring in subjects like Accounting, Business Information Systems, and Finance (like you could in the 1990s) and created separate degrees in those areas. This probably weakened the degree IMO. What is left for a BComm student to major in? Management, Marketing, Economics? What else?

You can do a year abroad in the BComm but all of the other courses in the Commerce faculty allow overseas placement too (Food Business, Govt, BIS, Acc, Fin).

You probably need to think about what you want to major in before you decide which course to pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Squareball2010

Shatner wrote: »
    Yes, the BComm has a great reputation historically among employers. But the BComm degree today is very different from the one in the 80's.

UCC emasculated the BComm degree when they stopped you from majoring in subjects like Accounting, Business Information Systems, and Finance (like you could in the 1990s) and created separate degrees in those areas. This probably weakened the degree IMO. What is left for a BComm student to major in? Management, Marketing, Economics? What else?

You can do a year abroad in the BComm but all of the other courses in the Commerce faculty allow overseas placement too (Food Business, Govt, BIS, Acc, Fin).

You probably need to think about what you want to major in before you decide which course to pick.

True and fair point about it being different from what it was before in the 80's as you say. It is a joke and quite a shame that you aren't able to major in such areas these days when it is possible to do so in Commerce in other universities across Ireland. You have still got a good enough choice though by majoring in either Government, Law, Economics, Management, Marketing or Food Business. It still holds its good reputation amongst employers though as it is recognised and renowned both here in Ireland and overseas. You can still however minor in such areas as Finance, Accounting and BIS so its not all bad.

All depends on what you want to major in though as shatner says and also what career you're looking to go into/are interested in. Commerce opens more doors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭twinytwo

daxcv wrote: »
    Well I've looked at them both endless times, and I still can't make my mind up. Anyone here have any experience with these courses? Any info on what's involved in third year etc would be helpful as well.

Hey Dax,

I did a both a degree and masters in BIS. Its an excellent course, there is six month placement in 3rd year and the department has built up links with some of the biggest companies both here and in the states. students have done placement in places like microsoft and apple as well as pepsi,deloitte,credit suiss, bank of america etc etc well over half the class went to the states. There was 100 approx in my year when i graduated and most of them had jobs lined up before they left.

If you like a blend of business and computers i would highly recommend it... if you have any questions just pm me

Advertisement