Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GW 9 Captain

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

aguero home to swansea
    If Tevez doesn't start against Ajax, then he'll be my captain as he should start against Swansea. If he does start against Ajax, then I'll probably opt for Bale although the fact he'll probably be playing in Slovenia on Thursday night won't fill me with confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Blatter wrote: »
    If Tevez doesn't start against Ajax, then he'll be my captain as he should start against Swansea. If he does start against Ajax, then I'll probably opt for Bale although the fact he'll probably be playing in Slovenia on Thursday night won't fill me with confidence.

Has Bale played in a Uefa cup game yet? I thought he was rested in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

aguero home to swansea
    Bale played against Panathanaikos afaik, Lemlin.

Same as above, Tevez if he doesn't start midweek. Plenty of goals at Home to Swansea and Tevez is playing well.

aguero home to swansea
    Lemlin wrote: »
    Has Bale played in a Uefa cup game yet? I thought he was rested in them.

He's played in both Europa League games so far. AVB takes the competition very seriously.

He's played in both Europa League games so far. AVB takes the competition very seriously.

Ah right. That's a pity. I haven't watched a Europa league game in about five years!

• Advertisement

aguero home to swansea
    Ah right. That's a pity. I haven't watched a Europa league game in about five years!

One thing I will say is that Bale didn't play on Saturday so playing Thursday and then Sunday might not affect him as much, but the team in general could well be affected which would decrease Bale's chances of scoring high.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

aguero home to swansea
    As far as I can understand the debate around RVP price tag what other solution do you have at the moment?

I mean, to perform well in that game you generally need to have a strike force made of a combination of one of the right player from each top teams associated with 2 to 4 cheaper options i.e. players getting great returns in being the central attacking points from smaller teams like Michu or Nolan (actually Noble might even be a better "striking force 9th man option") this season.

So. Up to now the Man City standout player is Tevez. For Chelsea you have Hazard or Mata. Getting Torres would mean doublin up on Chelsea. Why not but it also means not having a player from either Man U/Ars/Tot... For Arsenal & Tottenham the big names aren't performing that well up to now. Cazorla is not giving much more return than Gervinho. And the same can be said for Bale vs Defoe. So if you don't get VP who is your United cover? Rooney? No one?

This season seems to be a lot more open than the 2 previous though (I can't talk about the preceding ones as I was not playing the game). Besides Hazard/Mata there's no clear standout player in midfield and forward. There's a choice of 10ish players which makes it quite interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

bale away to southampton
    iroced wrote: »
    As far as I can understand the debate around RVP price tag what other solution do you have at the moment?

I mean, to perform well in that game you generally need to have a strike force made of a combination of one of the right player from each top teams associated with 2 to 4 cheaper options i.e. players getting great returns in being the central attacking points from smaller teams like Michu or Nolan (actually Noble might even be a better "striking force 9th man option") this season.

So. Up to now the Man City standout player is Tevez. For Chelsea you have Hazard or Mata. Getting Torres would mean doublin up on Chelsea. Why not but it also means not having a player from either Man U/Ars/Tot... For Arsenal & Tottenham the big names aren't performing that well up to now. Cazorla is not giving much more return than Gervinho. And the same can be said for Bale vs Defoe. So if you don't get VP who is your United cover? Rooney? No one?

This season seems to be a lot more open than the 2 previous though (I can't talk about the preceding ones as I was not playing the game). Besides Hazard/Mata there's no clear standout player in midfield and forward. There's a choice of 10ish players which makes it quite interesting.

As you say, the question is, if you get rid of RVP who do you replace him with? The best MF options this year are nowhere near as expensive as last year so you can usually afford the players you want.

Downgrading RVP to say Ba/Fletcher/Tevez will give you a couple of million to use. So you could upgrade Michu/Nolan/Pienaar to Bale/Cazorla (I'm assuming everyone should already have either Mata or Hazard so won't include them here), or upgrade a few defenders (I'll also assume most people either Ivanovich or Baines).

In the end I think you will end up weakening your team. I think RVP + one of the three others is still the best combination. Part of this is due to the fact that you will captain RVP a lot when you have him, and those times when he scores 10+ will see you fly ahead of your rivals that don't have him.

Someone recently said the top 20 managers in the world all don't have RVP which is interesting, but I'll be keeping him. He's the best striker in the game at the moment, and the cash just isn't that vital across the rest of your team. Sure I'd like to have players like Bale playing alongside Mata and Cazorla, but not at the cost of RVP.

One thing I will say is that Bale didn't play on Saturday so playing Thursday and then Sunday might not affect him as much, but the team in general could well be affected which would decrease Bale's chances of scoring high.

Bale isn't travelling to Spurs' Europa League game but is training to be ready for the Saints match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Ace0x9

defoe away to southampton

Bale isn't travelling to Spurs' Europa League game but is training to be ready for the Saints match.

Looks like Captain potential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

baines home to liverpool
    Aguero starts tonight. Would love to captain him at the weekend but i'm nervous he won't start. I'd say he's about an 80% chance of starting but with Mancini you never know. Frustrating, a real downside to City players up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Not doubt practicing his Bebeto celebration. Definitely an acquired skill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

aguero home to swansea
    Tevez (c) Cazorla (vc). Tevez has to be a serious contender for anyone who still has him now.

Notable mention for Crouch. 3 goals in 3 home games, averaging 8 points per home game. And two of those games were against Arsenal and Man City. Playing against a poor Sunderland side this week with some very favourable fixtures on the horizon. I'm really considering taking a 4 point hit to get him in for Fletcher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

berbatov away to reading
    Voted for Carzola in the poll, but two defeats on the trot for Arsenal means I'm thinking strongly about Tevez or RVP. Tevez not coming on until late last night was promising for the weekend. Both United and Chelsea defences are leaky at the moment, last season the fixture ended 3-3, I could see this being a high scoring one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Currently have RVP as captain but Defoe against a leaky Saints defence could be a differential.Stick or twist?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Steel Dog

aguero home to swansea
    Goin with Tevez at home to Swansea. Him not starting lastnite and only getting on near the end has convinced me to go with him.

Cazorla (vc)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭John83

berbatov away to reading
    I voted Cazorla but I'm also thinking Aguero or Mata. Aguero might not start though. Mata on the other hand is on fire and Utd are a bit rocky at the back. I can see goals in that game and it'd be hard to see Mata not in the mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

bale away to southampton
    Voted for Ba,but yous have me doubting myself,think I might go for Tevez! I just dont like captaining City players with the serious rotation,got burned before with Tevez only appearing as a sub one week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Gillington wrote: »
    Voted for Ba,but yous have me doubting myself,think I might go for Tevez! I just dont like captaining City players with the serious rotation,got burned before with Tevez only appearing as a sub one week
    If you can't captain a £9.4 priced forward from a top 3 team when they're at home to a defensively poor team after the player in question has been somewhat rested in a mid week game then you have to seriously question if that player be in your team.

I said earlier I would captain Tevez if he didn't start during the week and I'm going to stick to it. Should I get burned by him coming on for the last 5 minutes then I know it's time to get rid of him and Ba will come straight into my team.

(oddly enough you can kind of apply the same logic to santi cazorla)

aguero home to swansea
    If Tevez doesn't start tomorrow (I'm 80% certain he will!) then he will surely start the next PL game as I can't see Mancini benching him three games in a row, not when his current form is pretty good.

So if by chance Tevez doesn't start against Swansea, I'd still be holding onto him for West Ham away, and then maybe get rid of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

baines home to liverpool
    Kun Aguero captain for me. Probably wont start knowing my luck but I need a differential

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Eldoco

i think im gonna go for bale..no risk of rotation after a weeks rest and with southampton attacking enough team it could leave plenty of gaps for bale to exploit plus southampton defence is pretty ropey....

Eldoco wrote: »
    i think im gonna go for bale..no risk of rotation after a weeks rest and with southampton attacking enough team it could leave plenty of gaps for bale to exploit plus southampton defence is pretty ropey....

I'm going against the poll again. Hopefully it works out. Cazorla is too much of a risk with Arsenal's recent piss poor performances so Bale it is.

He's a risk as well but fook it, Southampton are muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Ace0x9

I'm going against the poll again. Hopefully it works out. Cazorla is too much of a risk with Arsenal's recent piss poor performances so Bale it is.

He's a risk as well but fook it, Southampton are muck.

Wow, Bale only suggested by 12 people?!
    And yeah, it's better to go against the poll. I'm going with Bale too. I have a feeling Cazorla's going to either assist or blank. He needs rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

torres home to manutd
    Im thinking bale or tevez,hard to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

aguero home to swansea
    Captained Tevez over RVP this week!

Ace0x9 wrote: »

And yeah, it's better to go against the poll. I'm going with Bale too. I have a feeling Cazorla's going to either assist or blank. He needs rest.

Bale is a gamble to me. He generally tends to deliver a haul like 12 or a few meagre points like 2. Rarely hits the middle ground in between.

Here's hoping we're hitting him on the right week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

Podolski.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

aguero home to swansea
    Tevez by far the safest this week imo. The difference between Tevez and Bale is that Tevez has scored or assisted in all but 2 of his games. (And in those games he only got 20 and 60 minutes). On the other hand Bale has only scored or assisted in 4 of his games. He's also playing away with Tevez at home. Tevez didn't play midweek so he's nearly nailed on imo. Tevez is the more consistency and my rule is to go for the more consistent option if you have a good choice. Bale could do the business at the weekend but generally, making inconsistent players captain won't pay off. That's the way I look at it anyway. Southampton are useless but Spurs are playing away all the same. They might only score 2 or 3 :pac: definitely not going near Cazorla either. I have had him in my team the past few weeks only to realise now that he isn't a good fantasy option and I don't think he'll live up to his price-tag/reputation in terms of goals/assists this year. I can't see him as a captain choice at all and won't until he starts scoring/assisting more often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Kagawa away to chelsea
    Ace0x9 wrote: »

What's there to be shocked about, lots of teams don't even have Bale never mind considering captaining him.

While I do think this week is a great week to captain him if you have him, Bale is always going to be a gamble with his fantasy point scoring inconsistency even while he's playing well.

Advertisement