Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

introducung a bottle and nipple confusion

Options
  • 21-10-2012 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

We have a 18 day old baby who is feed (breastfeeding) like a mad woman!
    Resulting in us running out of milk late at night.
    Looking to introduce a bottle of expressed milk once a day at night but worried about "nipple confusion" where the baby may decide that she prefers the bottle and not go back to the nipple.
    The advise is to wait until 4 weeks to avoid this.
    Has anyone managed to introduce a bottle at 2 weeks without the nipple confusion problem?
    Any advise would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I think nipples confusion is a myth. For a few reasons we ended up combination feeding with one bottle of formula a day. Baby has had no issue whatsoever with breastfeeding. I had a chat with a lactation consultant and the public health nurse and they both said they'd never seen a case of serious nipple confusion. I wouldn't worry unduly.
    PS baby is 21 weeks and down to five 20-30 mins feeds a day. It gets easier and so much more convenient in time, even six weeks old you'll see a difference.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Your baby is probably going through the three week growth spurt, and the constant nursing is the way that baby increases your future supply for their future needs, so I would personally hold off until your supply is fully established, but if you absolutely cant, then hold off for another week or so.

We had to give colic drops which meant putting them into an expressed ounce, giving the baby that in a bottle before the breast at each feed. We didnt have any problems, then after 12 weeks we brought in the bottle of formula as a bedtime bottle, and its worked out fine.

If you were to give an ounce before each feed the way I did, then firstly baby may be too hungry to refuse the bottle, and still hungry enough to follow with a breastfeed. Down the line, you can give the bottle of formula/expressed and they will be used to the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭0ctober

I would say give a bottle as early as possible to let your baby get used to it. Unfortunately we didn't introduce the bottle til our daughter was 4 weeks old and she is just point blank refusing the bottle. Shes 10 weeks old now and we have been trying every day for the last 6 weeks with no success. So I would say do it asap before you miss that window where she will accept it. I've resigned myself to the fact that my little one is just one of those babies that will never take a bottle...which means no nights off or glasses of wine for me any time soon! :-/ Seriously go for it!

I would say give a bottle as early as possible to let your baby get used to it. Unfortunately we didn't introduce the bottle til our daughter was 4 weeks old and she is just point blank refusing the bottle. Shes 10 weeks old now and we have been trying every day for the last 6 weeks with no success. So I would say do it asap before you miss that window where she will accept it. I've resigned myself to the fact that my little one is just one of those babies that will never take a bottle...which means no nights off or glasses of wine for me any time soon! :-/ Seriously go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

0ctober wrote: »

I introduced the bottle at 4 weeks for both my children. Both took to it no problem so not sure that there is the window of opportunity before 4 weeks. Some children are just stubborn! They might just prefer the comfort of breast.

OP- I agree on growth spurt post. If you can try to go with it as the feeding increases your supply. If you want/ need to introduce a bottle do it.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying the window is before 4 weeks, every baby is different but I just reckon the sooner you introduce it the better as then they are used to it. I was reluctant to introduce a bottle in case it affected my supply, which I regret now, as I could have just expressed an ounce or 2 and given that to get her used to accepting it. But anyway like I said, every baby is different so do what you feel is best for you and your little one :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I combination fed breast and bottle for 14 weeks due to pain I had because of tongue tie that wasnt diagnosed til I went to an LC.
    The formula free flowing from the bottle definitely made my baby lazier at the breast and made it harder to go back to exclusively breastfeeding after we got the tongue tie clipped, there was definite nipple confusion.
    The three week growth spurt can be hard but it lasts a week max.
    Do you co sleep? It can make the night feeds so much easier :)
    Congrats on your new baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I introduced a bottle of expressed milk once a day from about 14 days - no problems and as it was the same time every day she got it I even think it helped established night routine!! She had her last feed before her longest stretch as expressed bottle every eve from 2 weeks to 3 months, when I changed over to formula fully with no issues at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Monkey8 it sounds like preparation for a growth spurt or comfort sucking both of which are perfectly normal. I only figured this out second time around and with baba1 I was convinced I didn't have enough some evenings when in fact I had oversupply. With baba2 I just sat on the couch or took her to bed and let her stay latched on because that's where she wanted to be.

I gave baba1 a bottle from 3weeks with no problems but I think that was because I had a fast letdown so she didn't have to work for the milk regardless of the source. If you want I can pm you a technique for giving a bottle to minimise flow preference which can be the most common reason for babies preferring bottles over boob. Let's face it we're all lazy. If you want to give a bottle that's your decision but don't feel you have to because of a lack of supply in the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

I did it. Use the Tommy Tipper closer to nature bottles as those teats are closer to nipples. Worked fine and baby slept more at night with the heavier milk!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

Thats great it worked out so well.
    Nipple confusion is not a myth, my girl was given a bottle in hospital and it took over 6 weeks to get her on the breast after that. But that said, she was only 2 days old. I think that as long as baby has figured out a good latch, he's unlikely to forget it.
    Would also keep in mind the growth spurts as said previous posts.
    And about introducing a bottle, I also think early is better, baby will be less head strong and more adaptable. I gave my boy one at 6 weeks and it took 3 days (only once a day) to convince him. In my opinion, if you try a bottle for one of the feed, you shouldnt then give in and give the breast because they refuse it, they'll just know what to do next time to get the breast instead of the bottle. Hard to do and you feel cruel, but it works very quickly. In the process of changing the bottle for a cup at the moment, boy will be 5 months this week. He protested a bit but its the third day and he is getting better.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

I've a (checking calander!) 15 day who is a mighty little feeder on the breast too, and she's had a bottle 3 times so far with no confusion. Two were expressed feeds to give me some time for sore nipples and one was a couple of ozs of formula after she had a lot of vomiting and I was all empty when she wanted a refill. I'd no problems with her latching back on, or with her taking either the expressed milk or formula - perhaps she's just so hungry that it doesn't matter to her what it is as she'll drink it anyway :p

The advice further up about a growth spurt is worth some consideration, suckling for encouraging more milk production is something they do intuitively. I know my first instinct when baby is not happy is to start to blame myself with not enough milk being top of the list, but it isn't always the case, sometimes they just need to be latched on so watch baby carefully and be sure its hunger signals the baby is giving off and not just the urge to be latched on. Also keep in mind the trinity of rest + hydration + diet = milk

Tbh the biggest issue I have since letting herself have bottle feeds so far, is that her Daddy and her Grandmother now have had that snuggle time of feeding her and are already coveting a repeat performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭monkey8

Many thanks for all the replies.
    I think we will hold out for another week or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

I find breast flow bottles great milk does not come as fast as with other bottles. Baby has to really suck to get the milk like at the breast. They are a little more expensive than other brands but if you will be mostly breastfeeding then you only need 2.

Hobbitfeet- how have you found the breastflow bottle? I've ordered one as a last hope but since ordering it I've read online that they are very leaky and the bottle can warp when you put the hot water in. Have you found it ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭skit490

Hobbitfeet- how have you found the breastflow bottle? I've ordered one as a last hope but since ordering it I've read online that they are very leaky and the bottle can warp when you put the hot water in. Have you found it ok?
    Looking into which bottles to get myself. Where do u order the breastflow bottles from, any available to purchase in-store.
    ?

I find them great mine have leaked once it twice but that was because I didn't put the top on properly. Just wondering why you would be putting hot water in them? I always washed then in the sink with warm water and use a microwave steam steriliser with no problems. You can get them in mothercare

I think people in the reviews were referring to when they were making up formula re the hot water! Thanks for the reply :)
    Skit490- mothercare don't stock them anymore so I ordered mine on amazon :)

Oh right that makes sense lol formula never even entered my head.

I think people in the reviews were referring to when they were making up formula re the hot water! Thanks for the reply :)
    Saw small bottles in

• Advertisement

Yeh saw breastflow bottles on mothercare website but just rang carrickmines n they said they didn't have them. Maybe will give the calma teat ones first that come with the medela swing.

Advertisement