Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shooting in America

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

When will it stop

Noon. Sunday 1st November, 2016

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Let them kill each other, they'll never get the point so long as most of them are stupid gun-toting evangelicals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Highly unlikely to be during our lifetime. Tragic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Fritzl Funderland

it wont its a huge country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

donvito99 wrote: »
    Let them kill each other, they'll never get the point so long as most of them are stupid gun-toting evangelicals

That is the most insensitive post on this forum. Innocent people getting shot at, and all you can say is that? What an absolute scummy thing to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

America is one ****ed up place.
    I know one could argue "well theres 200+ million people there, bound to be a few nutjobs!!" - but lets be real people. Its messed up. How many mass shootings has there been in the last decade say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭Tommy87

Crazy stuff. I wonder what had been going on between him and his ex wife??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Wont someone please think of the children.....

He was described as a bald ethnic man with darker skin

Are they not allowed to describe people as black these days?

An ethnic man.. ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Really, I heard the following Sunday the 8th? I'm proper confused now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

1. Prominent gun culture.
    2. Easy access to weapons.
    3. ?????
    4. Shootings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

An ethnic man.. ffs

Maybe he was of asian descent ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

America is one ****ed up place.
    I know one could argue "well theres 200+ million people there, bound to be a few nutjobs!!" - but lets be real people. Its messed up. How many mass shootings has there been in the last decade say?

Yeah it is a totally fcuked up place and yet a lot of people would sell all their belongings if given the chance to emmigrate there plus I am sure I have not heard of a number of needless gang shootings and murders in a country with less the population of most US states :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

November 1st 2016 is a Tuesday.

You're a fake.

Fishooks12 wrote: »

Or indeed Hispanic- not that it matters anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

An ethnic man.. ffs

Isn't every man an ethnic man?

miralize wrote: »
    That is the most insensitive post on this forum. Innocent people getting shot at, and all you can say is that? What an absolute scummy thing to say.

Its terribly hard to be sensitive when a shooting of this nature is almost a monthly occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

If these murderers were actually killing eachother, and not innocent bystanders, then yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

An ethnic man.. ffs

I read that as Arab
    Fishooks12 wrote: »

Also possible

One useless reporter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I reckon it will stop and then start again around about the time that the next gun toting nutter has a grudge.

• Advertisement

KINGVictor wrote: »
    Or indeed Hispanic- not that it matters anyways.

It's been reported elsewhere that he is black though

http://instagram.com/p/RDbj0Ts0ii/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭burstbuckle

guns don't kill people,prople rabble rabble rabble

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

''Suspect is ethnic, is 6'1" weighing 270 pounds and carrying a handgun''

All those cheeseburgers must have blocked the oxygen supply to his brain.

It's been reported elsewhere that he is black though

http://instagram.com/p/RDbj0Ts0ii/

I am not disputing the fact that he is black or not, I am saying that thedescription that you automatically presumed to be black could be ascribed to people of other ethnicities as well. Essentially, the description- ethnic and of darker colour does not necessarily mean he is black.

Regardless, he has committed a crime and should be severely punished for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

That date's wrong, I rang them and:-" due to an administrative oversight it has been pushed out to noon, Sunday 1 April, 2017. Sorry for any inconvenience that might be caused by this change but it has been brought about due to unforseen difficulties implementing our "Stop fecking shooting each other ye crazy bollixes" Policy. Best regards, Uncle Sam."

Some statement from the yanks eh? Do they take nothing seriously??? I for one am appalled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

When will the Yanks yield to common sense and clamp down on guns :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Keno 92 wrote: »
    1. Prominent gun culture.
    2. Easy access to weapons.
    3. God told me to do it.
    4. Shootings.

There ya go.

coonecb1 wrote: »

If it was mandatory for everyone to carry a gun there's no way the guy could have shot that many people

/republican logic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

Guns are not the only means of committing murder. I think if you want to kill you will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

It doesn't say what part of ethnica he's from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

coonecb1 wrote: »

It's the culture in America that is the problem, not the guns. There's a "stay hard in the yard" or "never back down culture" and this leads to problems.

There are over 260,000 licenced guns in The Republic of Ireland. We have never had a mass killing in this country apart from stuff connected to the Troubles. If it was the fault of there being so many guns, then we should surely have had several mass shootings by now.

This never makes headlines but 99.9999999999999 of gun owners in America didn't go on a rampage today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

EZ24GET wrote: »
    Guns are not the only means of committing murder. I think if you want to kill you will.

Correct.

Sure didn't a lad go mental in the UK this week with a white van and kill people by driving up on the footpath in several different places.

Lets ban vans.

Or maybe only white vans then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

An ethnic man.. ffs
    so true, aren't we all ethnic??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

if everyone in that mall had a gun this would never have happened!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

BattleCorp wrote: »
    It's the culture in America that is the problem, not the guns. There's a "stay hard in the yard" or "never back down culture" and this leads to problems.

There are over 260,000 licenced guns in The Republic of Ireland. We have never had a mass killing in this country apart from stuff connected to the Troubles. If it was the fault of there being so many guns, then we should surely have had several mass shootings by now.

This never makes headlines but 99.9999999999999 of gun owners in America didn't go on a rampage today.

I like Chris Rock's idea of making the guns freely available, but making the bullets cost at least a grand

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

BattleCorp wrote: »

I'm not sure that's a fair comparison. Ireland is well below 2% the population of the US and it's area would make it a 'small' US state.

I could pick out areas of the United States that haven't had a mass shooting ; and they'd have the land mass and population of Ireland. I'm not sure that would mean the attitudes/culture are any different in that area than the rest of the US.

If you look at Europe as a whole, there are still mass killings. Wikipedia lists five since 2010.

In fact - if you look at:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rampage_killers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Internet Hero

im scared of you. a tragedy happens and all you go on about is your political view and show zero compassion. you are a horrifying disgrace...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

An ethnic man.. ffs

I actually thought he was white...everybody is ethnic there except for the native indians??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

An ethnic man.. ffs

Isn't every person ethnic?

im scared of you. a tragedy happens and all you go on about is your political view and show zero compassion. you are a horrifying disgrace...

Yup, I'm about as bad as the perpetrator, aren't I?

• Advertisement

Yup, I'm about as bad as the perpetrator, aren't I?

no...the perpatrator is terrible....you dont seem to get that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Waukesha County Law Enforcement audio feed
    http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?action=cwp&ctid=3119

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Ridiculous comment. Anybody's life ending prematurely is obviously horrible.

However, in a country where any idiot can walk into a wall-mart and buy milk, bread and an assault rifle, don't expect people to act shocked when peoples lives are prematurely ended.

Nothing is ever done after horrible incidents like this. So is it tragic that this happened? Of course it is. Is it shocking? How could it be!

That's not callous or crude, its natural to become desensitised to stuff like this over time and especially with the regularity of similar cases being reported.

Ridiculous comment. Anybody's life ending prematurely is obviously horrible.

However, in a country where any idiot can walk into a wall-mart and buy milk, bread and an assault rifle, don't expect people to act shocked when peoples lives are prematurely ended.

Nothing is ever done after horrible incidents like this. So is it tragic that this happened? Of course it is. Is it shocking? How could it be!

That's not callous or crude, its natural to become desensitised to stuff like this over time and especially with the regularity of similar cases being reported.

gross...i am shocked at any horrible event like this. your comment is rediculous, not mine. so shocked by this tragedy and that somebody would make a gross comment about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

gross...i am shocked at any horrible event like this. your comment is rediculous, not mine. so shocked by this tragedy and that somebody would make a gross comment about it.

What was my "gross" comment about this event?
    The fact that guns are so freely available within a certain countries society that I am supposed to be surprised that innocent people become the victim of gun crime so often?

What was my "gross" comment about this event?
    The fact that guns are so freely available within a certain countries society that I am supposed to be surprised that innocent people become the victim of gun crime so often?

eh theres guns everywhere...theres no legal guns for everyone on in norway and there was one of the worst massacers there...stop being a politcal bureau..just be a human....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

In fairness, I read the headline and the first thing that popped into my head,oh another one. That makes how many this year? Its not shocking in the least, sad and tragic yes, but hardly surprising considering how readily available guns are in some states. Hopefully the recent increase in mass shootings will start to change public opinion on gun control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,195 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

There are guns everywhere.

There are killings everywhere.

There are even guns and gun killings in Ireland.

So it regularly impresses me that some Irish think they have the wherewithal to wag their finger.

The US's problems are the US's problems. I feel like people keep talking about it here because it distracts them from their own problems; almost like a kid in a broken home that reads superhero comics, but in a more contorted manner.

MadYaker wrote: »
    In fairness, I read the headline and the first thing that popped into my head,oh another one. That makes how many this year? Its not shocking in the least, sad and tragic yes, but hardly surprising considering how readily available guns are in some states. Hopefully the recent increase in mass shootings will start to change public opinion on gun control.

had a cry over this just there....it is surprisin and sad like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Overheal wrote: »
    There are guns everywhere.

There are killings everywhere.

There are even guns and gun killings in Ireland.

Yeah but per capita the USA is way out in front in terms of gun crime. And yes there are gun murders in Ireland not very many.
    Overheal wrote: »
    So it regularly impresses me that some Irish think they have the wherewithal to wag their finger.

The US's problems are the US's problems. I feel like people keep talking about it here because it distracts them from their own problems; almost like a kid in a broken home that reads superhero comics, but in a more contorted manner.

Nobody is wagging their fingers.... Well maybe some people are but in fairness its about time the American people let go of this obsession with owning fire arms and having them readily available to anyone who wants them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement