Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Children or animals which do you prefer?

• 21-10-2012 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

Simple question which do you prefer. I prefer animals.

Children or Animals? 131 votes

Children
    0% 0 votes
    Animals
    23% 31 votes
    Undecided/Open
    76% 100 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

It's possible to like both, I'm going with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Pedophilia or beastiality?

That's a tough one OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

Animals dont talk back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I think you'll find eating dead children a little bit on the controversial side.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Animals. Love animals. I can abide other people's kids as long as their parents take proper care and responsibility for them and teach them how to behave properly in public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I like my animals to be like children and my children to be like animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Furious_George

Hmmm one option is a nice companion, the other are our offspring who if we are lucky enough to have them share our joy and sadness our hopes and dreams, give our lives meaning, support us as we go into old age, and in a very real sense are the future of our families and our species. Simple choice for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭tomtherobot

Thanks OP you raise an interesting issue. I've always felt theres something a bit callous and even twisted about the animal welfare lobby. Sure I think it's horrible to make any animal suffer but how you can push for the rights of animals over people bewilders me.

For example, I remember seeing an Irish animal rescue show a few years back where they were threatening a guy with the gaurds because they thought his (healthy well fed) dog didn't have enough shelter from the rain.

Ok in an ideal world, that's great but surely the very real human suffering in the world should take precedence. How can a dog maybe getting wet be so important in a country where people with disabilities have little or no legal protection. You could be 'caring' for somebody with a disability in this country and abusing and neglecting them every which way and the gaurds could do nothing. In fact it's even legal to rape a disabled person in Ireland.

Again, I'm not pro animal-neglect or anything of the sort, but how can you support this kind of pampering when people in Ireland are so clearly forgetton about. Yup, callous and twisted if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I like them both, couldn't eat a whole one though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I like and am tolerant of both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

animals because they cant tell on you when you hit them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Animals for dinner; kids for carrying my genetic package into the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

animals :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

In fact it's even legal to rape a disabled person in Ireland.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat????:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Love is something you either give or don't give. And you give it to an individual, not a group or species.:rolleyes:

Just because you love an individual dog or a cat, doesn't mean you hate the species Homo sapiens, although it has almost certainly done more to deserve disapproval than any other creature.:)

The real problem in this world is that there are so many cnuts who don't like anything or anyone other than themselves.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Paddy_Smith

Now that's a tough one. Tbh, I really don't know which one pisses me off more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I met a German girl once who claimed she would save an abandoned puppy over an abandoned child as someone was bound to help the child eventually but not the puppy. :confused:

I like both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

7ofBrian wrote: »
    Animals dont talk back.

True but they also shit & piss everywhere, unlike... oh.. wait...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

As a mother of 3 children, I'm going to have to say I prefer animals :)

• Advertisement

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat????:eek:

Yup to the best of my knowledge. You see it's not considered rape unless the person has the mental capacity to fully understand the concept of consent.

I know there's been promises for an awful long time that this would be reformed but it hasn't happened. If you're as cynical as me you might suspect it's become a bit of a gravy train for whatever legal experts are looking at it:cool:

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Love is something you either give or don't give. And you give it to an individual, not a group or species.:rolleyes:

Ok that's all fine and cute and fluffy and everything but when it comes to scarce resources how can you advocate animals above people?

And decisions like this are generally made for groups not individuals. That's why my dog (yes i'm an animal owner) doesn't have any laws specifically protecting it whereas dogs as a group do. Whereas individuals or groups of disabled people have little or no legal protection.

I don't mean to be condescending i just wonder about the ability of you're average hippy on the street to understand these concepts (not directed at Ellis Dee!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

Looks like the animals are giving the kids a beating in this poll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Kwiecien

Animals - cos they dont require "helicopter-parenting" :D

Kids are a pain in the posterior imo!

I wrote that I 'love' animals but perhaps love is not the correct word. Not sure of an alternative word that means great emotional affection, but I think people understand the meaning of the word love in the context I meant it as shorthand for 'great emotional affection' or 'strong depth of feelings for' or whatever.
    'Affection' or 'fondness' doesn't cover it for me anyway. It's deeper than that, so the word I use is love.

And I would disagree that you can't have love for a group. A group is composed of individuals sure, but one can show love for family as a whole for example, or love for one's country.
    Love doesn't mean just romantic love.
    Just because you love an individual dog or a cat, doesn't mean you hate the species Homo sapiens, although it has almost certainly done more to deserve disapproval than any other creature.:)

The real problem in this world is that there are so many cnuts who don't like anything or anyone other than themselves.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Agree wholeheartedly with both those points!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Animals > Children

The_Thing wrote: »
    Animals > Children

Not always. Yes the bear > child but it is also true that the child > kitten.

Greentopia wrote: »
    I wrote that I 'love' animals but perhaps love is not the correct word. Not sure of an alternative word that means great emotional affection, but I think people understand the meaning of the word love in the context I meant it as shorthand for 'great emotional affection' or 'strong depth of feelings for' or whatever.
    'Affection' or 'fondness' doesn't cover it for me anyway. It's deeper than that, so the word I use is love.

And I would disagree that you can't give love for a group. A group is composed of individuals sure, but one can show love for family as a whole for example, or love for one's country.
    Love doesn't mean just romantic love.

Agree wholeheartedly with both those points!

Confused, I'm not saying you can't give love to a group?? Do u people really not see the immorality of advocating resources and legal protection for animals in a world where....

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/man-acquitted-of-oral-rape-due-to-legal-loophole-136612.html

http://www.businessweek.com/stories/2007-08-05/the-pet-economy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

animals , hah! at the poll results so far. i hate kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I prefer cats and dogs to children. Don't know any children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Less chance of having beer thrown over your dog in a pub.

Looks like the vast majority prefer animals very interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I love animals and babies but children can be very annoying. Especially when they learn how to give cheek (usually when they start school) :/

Confused, I'm not saying you can't give love to a group??

I meant 'have love for', I would've thought that was clear from the context and Ellis Dee's quote, but I amended my post just to clarify.
    Do u people really not see the immorality of advocating resources and legal protection for animals in a world where....

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/man-acquitted-of-oral-rape-due-to-legal-loophole-136612.html

http://www.businessweek.com/stories/2007-08-05/the-pet-economy

:confused: I have no clue what you mean by "u people", care to explain? and where in my posts did I say I advocate resources and legal protection for animals? and what have your links...can't see the businessweek link btw. it brings up a blank page... got to do with whether animals should have resources and protection? it's not a zero sum game. You do realise it's possible and desirable to have resources and rights given to one without diminishing the legitimacy and entitlement to them for the other?

Animals absolutely deserve the protection of the law from those who would exploit them or cause them harm, as do women from rapists! I have no idea why any civilised person living in a comparatively wealthy first world country would feel otherwise.

"Gandhi: The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

When the time comes I'll probably like my own kids but god, I ****ing hate other people's children.

Let's think about this rationally.
    Animal babies: Cute, furry, cute.
    Human babies: Ugly, red, puffy, make horrible faces.

Animal babies: **** on the floor until about 4 months, easily trained, poo picked up with bag or shovel.
    Human babies: **** on themselves until about 4 years, nappies are gross, need to wipe poo off arse.

Animal babies: Sit around with you, cuddle, are generally quiet after the first week in a new home.
    Human babies: Need to be held so they don't roll over and die, kick and scrape you, are noisy and give you sleepless night for about 3-5 years.

Animal teens: Still cute, love you even more than when they were babies.
    Human teens: Awkward and spotty, hate you.

Animal teens: Play with balls and like walkies.
    Human teens: Play with "each other" and like binge drinking.

Animal adults: Still love you, still want to cuddle, still cute.
    Human adults: Claim to love you, never visit, expect dinners on Sunday, never visit otherwise.

Well, I realise my animal section is very dog heavy but my animal adult is currently snuggling with me.

I like animals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

CianRyan wrote: »
    Human babies: Need to be held so they don't roll over and die.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Never work with either, luuvies!

mauzo wrote: »
    :confused:

1. Lay baby on sofa.
    2. Forget to hold baby.
    3. Baby rolls off sofa.
    4. Baby dies.
    5. ???
    6. Negative equity.

1. Put puppy in bed.
    2. Puppy sleeps.
    3. ???
    4. Profit!

I was obviously a joke but puppies are still better, they can walk quicker too, much quicker!

1. Lay baby on sofa.
    2. Forget to hold baby.
    3. Baby rolls off sofa.
    4. Baby dies.
    5. ???
    6. Negative equity.
    !

Put baby on floor, sorted!

I prefer babies and children, I love cats and dogs but they cant say new words or reach milestones the same way a child can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭marky1905

I prefer animals personally

Jimmy saville preferred kids

• Advertisement

Put baby on floor, sorted!

I prefer babies and children, I love cats and dogs but they cant say new words or reach milestones the same way a child can.

If the last part is true for you, you're doing it wrong!

And besides, the rest of my points weren't questioned.
    ANIMALS!

If the last part is true for you, you're doing it wrong!

And besides, the rest of my points weren't questioned.
    ANIMALS!

Im not here to question your points, I questioned one because it was stupid.

I prefer children and babies, you prefer animals. End of, simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Ev84

1. Lay baby on sofa.
    2. Forget to hold baby.
    3. Baby rolls off sofa.
    4. Baby dies.

By any chance, are you one of the borrowers? :P

Im not here to question your points, I questioned one because it was stupid.

I prefer children and babies, you prefer animals. End of, simples.

Ooh, that was a bit belligerent. :pac:

There's a difference between something being stupid and you not getting a joke.
    Ev84 wrote: »
    By any chance, are you one of the borrowers? :P

:eek:
    "MA! We've been caught again!"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Animals are my friends so I don't eat them. Just children.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

Greentopia wrote: »
    "Gandhi: The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

Ah good ol Gandhi who famously ignored the suffering of his people to set up a rest home for unloved cats?

Who set out modern day civil disobedience because the state should provide therapy for dogs what have been shouted at?

Who freed his people from the oppression of the British Empire because fox hunting is cruel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Depends on the side dish tbh. Chips go well with animals, potatoes au gratin on the other hand...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

More of a children fan cos some animals scare me. Also, the closest I ever came to having a pet was living with a cat that pooed everywhere, including my bed so that has turned me off animals for quite a while.

On the other hand I will never have to put up with a really irritating animal on a bus or plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I'd prefer a child over a liver fluke or maggot, for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    I'd prefer a child over a liver fluke or maggot, for example.
    Damn right! Seems a few people think cats and dogs make up the entire animal kingdom.
    Stupid question op, too vague.
    Unless you prefer this
    http://images.nationalgeographic.com/wpf/media-live/photos/000/002/cache/american-crocodile_219_600x450.jpg
    to this
    http://smashmaterials.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/cute-baby-wallpapers-15.jpg.
    Or this
    http://ronancasey.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/slug.jpg
    to this
    http://www.irishhealth.com/content/image/13861/Babysmiling.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement