Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

microwave christmas dinners

• 21-10-2012 7:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭

Do they exist and have you tried them. I say this because last year everything went awry and I swore never again. Its just too much work , i'd rather pay for something thats tasty and easy. No more pink turkey and dried out spuds for me. And I know its only October Batman

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

eoing1 wrote: »
    Do they exist and have you tried them. I say this because last year everything went awry and I swore never again. Its just too much work , i'd rather pay for something thats tasty and easy. No more pink turkey and dried out spuds for me. And I know its only October Batman

You can buy everything prepared in M & S, all heating/cooking instructions included.

I doubt you will get a microwave version - it would be a fairly miserable Christmas dinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Just buy a few rustlers I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Tayto sandwiches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Maybe cook something other than turkey (which can be a nightmare). We had stuffed pork last year and thinking about duck this year. Once there are brussel sprouts, potato stuffing and nice gravy, it'll taste christmassy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the Japanese have a great tradition imo, KFC for Christmas dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

great suggestions, however KFC and crispp sambos arent Christmasy enough. I talkin turkey and ham with all the accouterments in a box, that needs 4 mins from the fridge 7 mins from frozen that tastes like it came from a michelin starred restaurant. No?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Get a turkey early, set aside a date to cook it at your own leisurely pace. No panic about veg, pressies, guests etc. Bang it in the freezer when done and take it out to defrost on Christmas Eve. Place it in the over to warm through while doing the veg. Result is a perfect turkey and veg served when it is done, no waiting on the bird to catch up

Simples

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

oldyouth wrote: »
    no waiting on the bird to catch up

Spoken like a true brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

You can buy everything prepared in M & S, all heating/cooking instructions included.

I know that M&S food is considered fine dining by some, but I still think it tastes like shit in a tray.

I know that M&S food is considered fine dining by some, but I still think it tastes like shit in a tray.

I take it you've never been to salmonella corner in Dunnes/Tesco then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

ive seen microwave roast dinners in shops before, never tried them though. there's something depressing about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I take it you've never been to salmonella corner in Dunnes/Tesco then

God, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

livinsane wrote: »
    Maybe cook something other than turkey (which can be a nightmare). We had stuffed pork last year and thinking about duck this year. Once there are brussel sprouts, potato stuffing and nice gravy, it'll taste christmassy!

yeah we had goose the year before last and we are looking at trying pheasant this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

All you need is a bottle of fizzy wine and a crying chair for a perfect Christmas alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I used to cook Christmas dinner for 11 and I found that the most stress free way to do it is to get as much done on Christmas eve as possible. Prepare all the vegetables and leave them in cold water with a tiny squeeze of lemon juice to stop them discolouring, rinse well before cooking. Cook whatever meat or fowl on Christmas eve too. Then all you'll need to do is cook the veg on the day and reheat meat/fowl if you want it hot. You won't be under pressure and you'll get to spend more time enjoying the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

eoing1 wrote: »
    great suggestions, however KFC and crispp sambos arent Christmasy enough.
    Put some tinsel on the KFC bucket then!

yeah we had goose the year before last and we are looking at trying pheasant this year

oooh la-di-da Mr Moneybags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

oldyouth wrote: »
    Get a turkey early, set aside a date to cook it at your own leisurely pace. No panic about veg, pressies, guests etc. Bang it in the freezer when done and take it out to defrost on Christmas Eve. Place it in the over to warm through while doing the veg. Result is a perfect turkey and veg served when it is done, no waiting on the bird to catch up

Simples

^^^^^

That would be one dry turkey!

You can buy turkey and ham pre cooked,just over boil some veg and your in.Simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Go to a homeless shelter. Very handy and you sometimes get a few quid when you're leaving. Just don't shave for a day or 2 and dress shabbily. Park the merc around the corner though. You'll often get a celeb serving it up to you, looking for a photo op. Bono does a mean roast potato.

• Advertisement

wyndham wrote: »
    Go to a homeless shelter. Very handy and you sometimes get a few quid when you're leaving. Just don't shave for a day or 2 and dress shabbily. Park the merc around the corner though. You'll often get a celeb serving it up to you, looking for a photo op. Bono does a mean roast potato.

I thought he'd be at the door to welcome you in "HELLO, HELLO!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Believe it or not but the tv dinners you can get in Lidl are actually nice. Only 2 euro as well. Wont fill you. But a decent snack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Light Switch

Am i the only one who hates the ''Traditional' christmas diner?

Love a steak or lamb with chips, gravy, veg and mushrooms&onions.

Believe it or not but the tv dinners you can get in Lidl are actually nice. Only 2 euro as well. Wont fill you. But a decent snack.

Yupp, there actually nice. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

oooh la-di-da Mr Moneybags

I had pheasant last year from Aldi, €9.99.

He could buy two and stick them together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Jesus, buy that and you might as well stick your head in the microwave with it!

kneemos wrote: »

He could buy two and stick them together.

I'd love to enter 'Come dine with me' and use cheap Lidl ready made food and serve it up properly.

Then get cheap wine and put it into an expensive bottle.

See would anyone notice, would be a cool episode. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Its been a while since I was in Ballsbridge but I remember Rollies Bistro had a little Deli attached to it that sold dinners made by the restaurant, it that sort of fare that would interest me. Literally no work, no preparation, get as drunk as you feel fit and not worry about the jasusin bird in the oven. Last year it was up at seven turning on the oven etc and at three it was still pink at the bone, disaster, couldn't relax at all. Need to avoid if at all possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Lidl do a great Microwave Christmas Dinner! :)

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

livinsane wrote: »

it won't really tho will it. Unless there is a turkey on the table I feel like there is always something missing. Its like having easter without an easter egg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Supervalu have a turkey, ham, stuffiing and gravy meal as part of their €7 meal deal.

Stock up on them for Chrimbo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

I used to cook Christmas dinner for 11 and I found that the most stress free way to do it is to get as much done on Christmas eve as possible. Prepare all the vegetables and leave them in cold water with a tiny squeeze of lemon juice to stop them discolouring, rinse well before cooking. Cook whatever meat or fowl on Christmas eve too. Then all you'll need to do is cook the veg on the day and reheat meat/fowl if you want it hot. You won't be under pressure and you'll get to spend more time enjoying the day.

All of the above., after cooking the meats on Christmas Eve, when cool, slice the Turkey, Ham, place in baking tray with enough water to cover meat, add a quarter pound of butter. Cover with tin foil. On Christmas Day heat in Oven on 180c for half an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Usually have the Supervalu turkey,ham and stuffing meal for Christmas.That or I get a frozen lobster from Aldi.

Don't see what's depressing about it,just another poxy meal in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Lidl do a great Microwave Christmas Dinner! :)

:(

Awwwww, tempted to invite you to mine with that sad face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

ruthloss wrote: »
    All of the above., after cooking the meats on Christmas Eve, when cool, slice the Turkey, Ham, place in baking tray with enough water to cover meat, add a quarter pound of butter. Cover with tin foil. On Christmas Day heat in Oven on 180c for half an hour.

butter basted turkey - yuk, not for me - Got one about five years ago and nearly got sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Yes you can. We've been given them in work the past two years. They're manky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Packet of sliced Turkey, packet of sliced ham, wrap them around a few boiled brussel sprouts and voila! Xmas dinner for you!

Then you can pull your cracker for the afternoon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

If my mum ever decided not to do the works for Christmas dinner, I'd cry. Nicest meal ever, worth the effort for the few hours.

Not that I'd know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I cooked Christmas dinner once

Green Isle frozen mash
    Green Isle frozen roast potatoes
    Green Isle croquettes
    Green Isle frozen sprouts
    Packet Gravy
    Packet Parsley sauce

Fresh Turkey and Ham though

It was a piece of piss tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Book into a hotel for Xmas day and have the turkey.

No cooking.

No cleaning.

Get smashed.

No closing time.

Get smashed.

mauzo wrote: »
    If my mum ever decided not to do the works for Christmas dinner, I'd cry. Nicest meal ever, worth the effort for the few hours.

Not that I'd know...

Watching her stir the gravy and drain off the spuds can be quiet tiresome, don't be so hard on yourself :pac:

Book into a hotel for Xmas day and have the turkey.

No cooking.

No cleaning.

Get smashed.

No closing time.

Get smashed.

Tug TV

Upddated your post there Chucky boy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

You could always also get a chicken in a can...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

the Japanese have a great tradition imo, KFC for Christmas dinner.

They're not one of the longest lived nations in the world by eating sh*te artery-clogging food.

Raw fish and whales all the way.

Edit: Fcuk it, they do! Suppose a pig out once a year is in order.
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/bb2dafc6-0ba4-11e0-a313-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2A2iuFu8M

Raw fish and whales all the way.

Mary Harney's gee? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

kneemos wrote: »
    Tayto sandwiches.

Yummy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Buy a boned and rolled turkey. All of the turkey with just the awkward bones removed. Quicker to cook, easier to carve and gives lovely presentable looking slices. You can buy them stuffed or plain whichever you prefer.

http://rozannegold.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/turkey-roast.jpg
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/media/offers/01_12_week_43/IEMeat_2x1_Wk43_3.jpg

Buy a ham and coat with some squeezy honey, and/ or buy a little jar of wholegrain mustard to coat. You could also buy a little jar of cloves and stud the ham with that then just shove it in the oven.

Steam some brussel sprouts.

Slice some carrots, parsnips drizzle with honey and sesame seeds and roast them in the oven, also roast some garlic cloves with them.

Make some gravy from scratch, or else get Knorr savoury gravy, mix the juices from your turkey roasting tray with the powder and some boiling water and it is quite tasty.

Mash is easy to make, some people like to add a little grated nutmeg, it is stil very nice with just butter and seasoning though.

Roasties can be homemade, or else Aunt Bessie brand do good roast potatoes and yorkshire puddings. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭shygal

http://www.dontevenreply.com/view.php?post=77 you should definitely drop this guy an email lol :D

Buy a boned and rolled turkey.

*snigger* :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement