Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

west east

Options
  • 21-10-2012 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

hi anybody any idea what i might have seen..came from the west and left to the east.quiet slow..i had time to nip in for the binos..bright and star size (apologies for the amateur description) twas at 7.58.and im in wicklow. thanks

Comments

You've just seen the ISS. It just passed overhead, from roughly due West to East, with the transit taking about 5 minutes (from 19:50 to 19:55).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Seen it last Tuesday by accident and ever since then I've been following it with the ISS detector app on my phone. Seems to be regularly appearing at 7-8pm the last week and this week. Next week it's pushed back to the earlier time of 5-6pm so may not be able to spot it.

shizz wrote: »
    Seen it last Tuesday by accident and ever since then I've been following it with the ISS detector app on my phone. Seems to be regularly appearing at 7-8pm the last week and this week. Next week it's pushed back to the earlier time of 5-6pm so may not be able to spot it.

Our clocks go forward back on the 28th (I think) so, depending on whether or not your app takes this change into account, we might still be able to see it. I haven't checked into next week to see.

P.S. Heaven's Above is the best website for tracking the ISS for those who don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

gvn wrote: »
    You've just seen the ISS. It just passed overhead, from roughly due West to East, with the transit taking about 5 minutes (from 19:50 to 19:55).
    whoopah!!! thanks ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Our clocks go forward on the 28th (I think) so, depending on whether or not your app takes this change into account, we might still be able to see it. I haven't checked into next week to see.

P.S. Heaven's Above is the best website for tracking the ISS for those who don't know.

Yeah the app gets it's info from heaven's above.

If you have an android phone I recommend that you get the app. It has a widget which you can put on your home screen which tells you the next viewing opportunity, it's magnitude and what the weather should be like. You can also set it to buzz you with an alarm for when it's close to viewing.

• Advertisement

shizz wrote: »
    Yeah the app gets it's info from heaven's above.

If you have an android phone I recommend that you get the app. It has a widget which you can put on your home screen which tells you the next viewing opportunity, it's magnitude and what the weather should be like. You can also set it to buzz you with an alarm for when it's close to viewing.

I have something very similar myself, actually! It's called SatTrack and it does all of what you describe above, as well as using Heaven's Above as its source. I find it handy for Iridium flares: I have notifications set to alert me 5 minutes in advance of any flares with a magnitude of less than -3. I've seen a few -8 (and even greater) flares over the past few months thanks to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭maguffin

Our clocks go forward on the 28th (I think) so, depending on whether or not your app takes this change into account, we might still be able to see it. I haven't checked into next week to see.

Clocks go BACK 1 hour.....winter time (rule of thumb: Clocks Spring Forward, Fall Back)

maguffin wrote: »
    Clocks go BACK 1 hour.....winter time (rule of thumb: Clocks Spring Forward, Fall Back)

Oops, sorry! I knew that, too — no idea how I mixed that up! I was saying "I think" about the date and all, too, not about whether it go forwards or backwards. :o

Advertisement