Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much money does boards.ie make?

• 21-10-2012 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Boards.ie as we all know has become hugely popular over the last few years and even I've heard say that some media, pr and political types lurk around here to judge or influence public opinion.

But i suspect the people that created might possibly be motivated by fianancial gain :eek:. And while of course they have created this wonderful free and open (insert actal truth here :D) forum there also taking home some serious wedge.

Huge amount of visitors generally equals a huge amount of revenue. Anyone care to guestimate what kind of revenue a site like this brings in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

In all likelihood, I'd say it's a large turnover and an after tax profit per annum of about three fiddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Getting on for three fiddy a day.:):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

One does not be in the habit of discussing such matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

enough to spend on coke and hookers.....shure what more do you want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

none of your business. respectfully.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Mods claim the following allowances;

Unsocial Hours Allowance
    Irate Poster Allowance
    Insane Poster Allowance
    Computer Related Eyestrain Allowance
    RSI Allowance - came into effect after arrival of "Know Your Loungers" thread in TLL

All mods are on a ban/infraction quota similar to the fabled Garda Traffic Violation Quota, they have to ban a certain amount of posters a month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I think it's somewhere in the region of €3.50 per annum.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Enough to be snooty, not enough to fully retire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I heard the hamsters were joining a union and looking for better pay and conditions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Well DeV gave all the Admins a Ferrari and Dom Perignon as a Christmas bonus last year but in fairness he did apologise, saying that it hadn't been as profitable as other years so we weren't too disappointed.

We never get the exact figures but it's in the region of 40 million profit each quarter so it can't be too bad.

Some or all of this post may be inaccurate and/or untrue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Most of it is in cash, so no paper trail...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

galwayrush wrote: »
    Most of it is in cash, so no paper trail...

Northern banknotes I hear...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Mods claim the following allowances;

Unsocial Hours Allowance
    Irate Poster Allowance
    Insane Poster Allowance
    Computer Related Eyestrain Allowance
    RSI Allowance - came into effect after arrival of "Know Your Loungers" thread in TLL

All mods are on a ban/infraction quota similar to the fabled Garda Traffic Violation Quota, they have to ban a certain amount of posters a month
    I can confirm that all of this is true.

All of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

El Weirdo wrote: »
    I can confirm that all of this is true.

All of it.

Ssssshhhh!!!! You'll give up the game!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You can bet your ass that the owners make far more than their european counterparts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭burstbuckle

kupus wrote: »
    enough to spend on coke and hookers.....shure what more do you want

& don't forget the cost of disposing of their bodies afterwards

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

We get 5k per forum we mod. And Troll allowance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Well all revenue is based on advertising and subscriptions.
    How many of you click on ads and subscribe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

well they can afford a swish premises on Golden Lane, D. 2, along with neigbouring hacks daft.ie and thejournal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Is it true that Dav snorted all of last years profit at the office party?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭talla10

We get 5k per forum we mod. And Troll allowance.

Don't tell Brendan Howlin!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

All companies have to file accounts with the Companies Office, if they are over a certain size these have to be detailed accounts.

These accounts are publicly available. All you'd need to find out would be the company that owns boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

The site is majority owned by Daft Media Ltd[13][14] with a minority stake held by some of the original company founders, who delegate administrative and editorial control over the site to hundreds of unpaid moderators.[15] Currently, Tom Murphy is operating as acting Managing Director after the departure of the previous Managing Director, Gerry Shanahan, in February 2009.[6] There are over 1,350 forums, public and private.

[source wiki]

The owners were using free labour long before FÁS ever thought of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

God bless that RSI allowance. Must get me a modship in some obscure half-dead forum

2010 -88,274

A guess okedoke ?

no, last accounts filed in the Companies Office are from 2010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

In all likelihood, I'd say it's a large turnover and an after tax profit per annum of about three fiddy.

nearly as stupid as the "your ma" bullsh1t

ah ok :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Boards.ie as we all know has become hugely popular over the last few years and even I've heard say that some media, pr and political types lurk around here to judge or influence public opinion.

But i suspect the people that created might possibly be motivated by fianancial gain :eek:. And while of course they have created this wonderful free and open (insert actal truth here :D) forum there also taking home some serious wedge.

Huge amount of visitors generally equals a huge amount of revenue. Anyone care to guestimate what kind of revenue a site like this brings in?

I know one of the lectures in NUIG set up boards and sold it and made millions. No idea what it makes now though or even who owns it??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

enough money to build their own theme park, with blackjack and hookers. In fact, forget the park ah screw the whole thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Id say f*ck all. Why else would they have sold advertising space. DeVore started a thread a while ago where people could ask questions about boards.ie, or anything, and he would answer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Boards was set up in 1999 as a place for teenagers from mainly Dublin to discuss a game called quake. It gradually grew to discuss other things like faster internet connections such as ISDN to better access quake.

Search engines started to pull up threads on boards which led to more non quake players joining and thus more threads. It was re organised into a forum format and as internet access grew it got more members.

It has never really made much money and was bought by distilled media who own daft who started selling discount vouchers through it. That has really given its revenues the biggest kick they ever had but as its part of distilled I dont think it has to publish accounts on its own and so ladies and gentlemen we will never know how much it makes.......

MrMatisse wrote: »
    Boards was set up in 1999 as a place for teenagers from mainly Dublin to discuss a game called quake. It gradually grew to discuss other things like faster internet connections such as ISDN to better access quake.

Search engines started to pull up threads on boards which led to more non quake players joining and thus more threads. It was re organised into a forum format and as internet access grew it got more members.

It has never really made much money and was bought by distilled media who own daft who started selling discount vouchers through it. That has really given its revenues the biggest kick they ever had but as its part of distilled I dont think it has to publish accounts on its own and so ladies and gentlemen we will never know how much it makes.......
    So you're saying it's not three fiddy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

Pottler wrote: »
    So you're saying it's not three fiddy?

Devore bought his mum a house in Malta... the rest spent it on....

PC CDROM wrote: »
    Devore bought his mum a house in Malta... the rest spent it on....
    Nice. But then it depends wether it was a HOUSE, or a HOUSE. Size matters in these things.

Along with the number of regular users, the site ranks really high for a broad range of search terms on google.. I'd say it's quite a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I remember the founder (Dev, I think) said he still works as a consultant travelling a lot, to make ends meet so he doesn't make a fulltime living from Boards.ie. Strange that the site makes so little but there you go.

And nothing wrong with being motivated by financial gain, everyone is and it's healthy. It's a shame they can't make a fulltime living from it. But I suppose the advertising revenue doesn't make up for the costs of running the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I could tell ya, but I'd have to kill ya.

Looking at the latest filing, the group (boards, journal, adverts, daft) looks to have made a gross profit of EUR344,423.

So, about three fiddy k.

:D

Doesn't the owner live in Malta these days?

I think he said that in the Q&A a few months back

Lying on the beach, watching his bank account and sipping cocktails while watching the wimmins stroll by :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Doesn't the owner live in Malta these days?

I think he said that in the Q&A a few months back

Lying on the beach, watching his bank account and sipping cocktails while watching the wimmins stroll by :cool:

I also heard he has powers of telekinesis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

MadsL wrote: »
    I also heard he has powers of telekinesis.

and he rides a velociraptor to work, all while shooting lazers from his eyes at cyclists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Well all revenue is based on advertising and subscriptions.
    How many of you click on ads and subscribe.

Ads don't have to be clicked to generate revenue. It's per impression.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I remember the founder (Dev, I think) said he still works as a consultant travelling a lot, to make ends meet so he doesn't make a fulltime living from Boards.ie. Strange that the site makes so little but there you go.

And nothing wrong with being motivated by financial gain, everyone is and it's healthy. It's a shame they can't make a fulltime living from it. But I suppose the advertising revenue doesn't make up for the costs of running the site.
    He does draw a wage from here.

They make enough to pay their employees and some more, they're not doing badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Well all revenue is based on advertising and subscriptions. How many of you click on ads and subscribe.

What ads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

gbee wrote: »
    What ads?

Adblock FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

nearly as stupid as the "your ma" bullsh1t

Saucer of milk for Fighting Irish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement