Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting UPC phone line to Astec DV63 panel

Options
  • 21-10-2012 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi guys, I wonder can anyone help me. I recently changed over to UPC phone and broadband and got rid of my landline. My alarm system has a dialler built in which would phone out if there was an activation but since the landline was disconnected the dialler will not operate. I've been looking around some other threads here on boards.ie and I've learned that it is possible for the dialler to work using a UPC line. My question is this, is it difficult to connect the upc line from modem to the dialler? I was going to give it a go myself if it was relatively easy to do. I can run the phone line ok but I'm not sure where it connects to on the panel. I know the dialler will not work in the event of a power failure but as it is not dialling out at the moment, I won't be losing out anyway! Any assistance anyone can give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Paul

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Here is how we do it with line seizure.
    Get one double RJ 11 socket.
    un46a_new.jpg

1 RJ 11 to RJ11 lead
    pic14.jpg

At the rear of the socket wire red/black from socket 1 to line in on the dialler & blue/yellow from socket 2 to line out of the digi.

Connect RJ11 patch lead from Ph1 of the modem to socket 1 & plug the phone into socket 2. If there are other phone connections around the house these can also be connected to socket 2.
    Remember if the power goes off the line is dead. You can put a back up power supply or a UPS onto the modem, however if there is a power cut in the area there is a good chance UPC will be down anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 PaulM92

KoolKid wrote: »
    un46a_new.jpg

1 RJ 11 to RJ11 lead
    pic14.jpg

At the rear of the socket wire red/black from socket 1 to line in on the dialler & blue/yellow from socket 2 to line out of the digi.

Connect RJ11 patch lead from Ph1 of the modem to socket 1 & plug the phone into socket 2. If there are other phone connections around the house these can also be connected to socket 2.
    Remember if the power goes off the line is dead. You can put a back up power supply or a UPS onto the modem, however if there is a power cut in the area there is a good chance UPC will be down anyway.

Hi KoolKid, thanks a million for your very quick and detailed reply.

Forgive my ignorance but can you tell me where the dialler is located please?

Secondly, I can run the phone cable from a socket on the back of the phone modem to the double RJ11 socket and wire it as you described. I already have the broadband wireless router and the base unit for cordless phones connected to sockets in the phone modem. Will I have to connect these to the new RJ11 socket or can I leave them as they are?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, I'm not well up on the workings of the alarm system.

Thanks a million, Paul

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

PaulM92 wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance but can you tell me where the dialler is located please?

The dialler is built into the main control panel.
    Secondly, I can run the phone cable from a socket on the back of the phone modem to the double RJ11 socket and wire it as you described. I already have the broadband wireless router and the base unit for cordless phones connected to sockets in the phone modem. Will I have to connect these to the new RJ11 socket or can I leave them as they are?

Ideally the line out of the modem will go directly to the alarm dialler. The line out of the dialler then comes back down to the second socket . This is where you should connect the phone to.
    This gives the alarm priority over the phone line.

The dialler is built into the main control panel.

Ideally the line out of the modem will go directly to the alarm dialler. The line out of the dialler then comes back down to the second socket . This is where you should connect the phone to.
    This gives the alarm priority over the phone line.

Wow KoolKid, that was fast!

I'll try to get the job done some time in the next week.

So theoretically it is possible to keep the other connections as they are, is this correct? The phone line wouldn't be used for anything else if there was an alarm activation because there wouldn't be anyone at home at the time using the phone and the likelyhood of an incoming call happening at the same time would be extremely low. It would save me a lot of hassle doing it this way as the incoming upc connection is upstairs and the alarm panel is downstairs.

Do you think it would be ok ti do it this way?

Thanks again, Paul

It would be OK , but technically if a burglar knew your number he could engage the line while activating the alarm.

• Advertisement

It would be OK , but technically if a burglar knew your number he could engage the line while activating the alarm.

Hi Koolkid, thanks again for your very quick reply.

Yeah, I think I'd be safer doing it the way you suggested. If the new line to double socket was plugged into socket 1 of the modem that would take priority with regard to the phone line. So that's the safest way to go. I can connect the phone to socket 2 of new line. Broadband router won't be a problem because it's always off when we're not at home.

Thanks a million for your time and expertise, I really appreciate it.

Paul

Broadband router won't be a problem because it's always off when we're not at home.

The router must remain on.!!! The router generates the phone line. With the router off there will be no phone line.

[COLOR="Red"]The router must remain on.!!![/COLOR] The router generates the phone line. With the router off there will be no phone line.

Hi KoolKid,

The line in goes to the phone modem first. Then I have a line from this modem going to the broadband router which is only for the broadband and another line going to the phone. The phone modem remains on all the time and when the broadband router is turned off it does not affect the phone line because the modem is always on.

I see what you were thinking, but the phone modem runs independently of the broadband router. The phone line works whether the broadband is on or off.

Thanks again, Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

un46a_new.jpg

1 RJ 11 to RJ11 lead
    pic14.jpg

No need for a double socket. Using a four core cable, wire your dialer the normal way. Back at the modem crimp a connector onto the end of the four core using whatever colours you used for the line in (normally red & black). About 12 inches back on the cable splice into it and use the return pair (normally yellow & blue) and wire them into the single phone socket. The house phone is plugged into that.

No need for a double socket. Using a four core cable, wire your dialer the normal way. Back at the modem crimp a connector onto the end of the four core using whatever colours you used for the line in (normally red & black). About 12 inches back on the cable splice into it and use the return pair (normally yellow & blue) and wire them into the single phone socket. The house phone is plugged into that.

That's great Koolkid, thanks again for everything.

I'll give it a go when I get a chance, hopefully I won't have to pick your brains again!

Your help is much appreciated.

Cheers, Paul

• Advertisement

That's great Koolkid, thanks again for everything.

I'll give it a go when I get a chance, hopefully I won't have to pick your brains again!

Your help is much appreciated.

Cheers, Paul

Thanks a million Fred Funk,

I'll give it a go.

Your advice is greatly appreciated

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi guys, I wonder can anyone help me. I recently changed over to UPC phone and broadband and got rid of my landline. My alarm system has a dialler built in which would phone out if there was an activation but since the landline was disconnected the dialler will not operate. I've been looking around some other threads here on boards.ie and I've learned that it is possible for the dialler to work using a UPC line. My question is this, is it difficult to connect the upc line from modem to the dialler? I was going to give it a go myself if it was relatively easy to do. I can run the phone line ok but I'm not sure where it connects to on the panel. I know the dialler will not work in the event of a power failure but as it is not dialling out at the moment, I won't be losing out anyway! Any assistance anyone can give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Paul

Another option is to disconnect the main eircom line at the master socket and connect the line from the UPC direct to the cable the old eircom line was connected too. This will make any sockets you have in the house live also. This will also mean you wont have to open the alarm and connect any cable to it as there should already be a line going to it if it has being working already.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 martin27

Hi guys, reading this because I have a similar situation but being a bit slow...

I've got the UPC phone in, working everywhere except the alarm. I have followed the alarm cabling round and have the two pairs - red/black and blue/yellow - beside a phone outlet. From reading this I should be able to crimp on an RJ11 with the right pin connections and the job would be done, but I'm not quite getting the connections from the thread.

Am I on the right track here?

The 2 centre pins of the RJ 11 are the line. They should go to the line in on your alarm. The line out should come back on the second pair to feed you phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 martin27

The 2 centre pins of the RJ 11 are the line. They should go to the line in on your alarm. The line out should come back on the second pair to feed you phone.

Great, Koolkid, thanks. All sorted, wired into outlet.

Thanks for the update Martin, glad you got sorted.

Advertisement