Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring light fixture question

• 21-10-2012 8:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

I've bought a ceiling light. As expected it has the neutral, live and earth wires.

However, where the fixture is I have one wire on its own (I checked this with a mains tester and it is live). Then I have 2 other wires with the copper twisted together.

Here's a pic. How should I connect it up?

http://db.tt/mb9UumXG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Live to live.
    The pair swisted together to the neutral.
    As your house is pre earthing at lighting points just tape up the earthwire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Sorry yeah meant to say, the house is 1970s so I was wondering was there an earth wire at all.

Why are thee 2 neutrals wired together though? And is it a hazard not to have a neutral?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

The neutrals are looped from light to light, keep them joined together when connecting to the neutral on the light fitting.
    Play safe, switch off the power when working.

Advertisement