Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lads weekend in London

Options
  • 21-10-2012 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Myself and 5 others all 25-27 are heading to london next weekend and the NFL in wembley on the Sunday.just looking for tips on heading out at night. been before and we fell for the tourist traps in leicester square.

Ideally looking for where Londoners actually go. My mates have no taste in music so commercial bars and clubs would be what they're after.Just seems too much choice and spread out so can anyone point us in the right direction. covent garden? west end?

Also for the sunday night its not a bank holiday over there, so assuming a lot of places will be quieter, anyone any good suggestions for a sunday night in london after the NFL?

Any help appreciated, cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

df1985 wrote: »
    just looking for tips on heading out at night.
    Whereabouts are you staying?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Near russel square

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Near russel square

I recommend the Marquis Cornwallis pub nearby — I've been there a few times. It's a huge place with a wide range of beers and most customers seem to be in their 20s or 30s. Website: http://www.themarquiscornwalliswc1.co.uk/

Near russel square
    Well you're not too far from either Upper Street in Islington or Old Street/Shoreditch. Both are popular with the beautiful young things these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭behan29

Camden is great and The worlds end, central london, just go to Soho, Bar Italia is great in the early hours and having a coffee as everyone else rises for work. Waxy O connors just off china town, granted its a Irish bar but its huge and can be really good craic. The Porter house and the maple leaf in convent garden are again nice bars and good food, not too messy either. You wont really go wrong in Islington, clean and safe. Holloway road, is at times a unique sight to behold.

• Advertisement

behan29 wrote: »
    ...just go to Soho...
    On a weekend? Are you mad?

I think the places you're describing in central London are in the sort of tourist trap catchment area that the OP is trying to avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

dd972 wrote: »

Lowlander is great — I've been there three times now. Food is good, and the service is excellent. Only annoyance is they never seem to have all the beers that they list in their menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lc180

Sorry to bump an old thread but I've got the same question as the OP.
    I'm going to an Arsenal game next month with 5 mates, staying near Russell Square looking for a descent area nearly for drinks. Not interested in nightclubs, a late bar with a band would be perfect. Camden sound like it could be what I'm after, is it far away by taxi?

Last time I was in London I was in O'Neill's in the city centre, I ain't a fan of 'Irish' bars abroad, it was... grand but it was beside Chinatown and the pubs nearby seemed like tourist traps

OP how did you get on?

lc180 wrote: »
    Sorry to bump an old thread but I've got the same question as the OP.
    I'm going to an Arsenal game next month with 5 mates, staying near Russell Square looking for a descent area nearly for drinks. Not interested in nightclubs, a late bar with a band would be perfect. Camden sound like it could be what I'm after, is it far away by taxi?

Last time I was in London I was in O'Neill's in the city centre, I ain't a fan of 'Irish' bars abroad, it was... grand but it was beside Chinatown and the pubs nearby seemed like tourist traps

OP how did you get on?

Lots of good pubs in Camden, probably several with live music, and it's a quick hop in a taxi 5-10 minutes (around 2km).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

The Spanish Bar aka Bradley's Spanish Bar, near TCR tube station is worth a look. Tiny place but good craic.

Cheers for the tips! Think we'll give Camden a shot.

If you know the names for any other descent pubs let me know.

Greatly appreciated, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I know you can't beat personal advice but I find this website very useful, you search bars by area with reviews from customers.

http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/

Looks great, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Dublin Castle is good for gigs and live music. Don't be put off by the name, it's not an Oirish pub. The Good Mixer is a great place at weekends. Never too packed and a bit shoddy looking but anyone i've brought there has loved it. If you want to incorporate a bit of sport into your weekend, then go to the Sheephaven Bay. Best place I've watched sport in London. Loads of screens (and Sky boxes) but feels like a little community pub as opposed to a soulless sports bar. These places are all within a 2 to 10-minute walk of Camden Town tube station.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Maura74

Camden is opening a music walk of fame in what used to be a ballroom called ‘The Buffalo' this used to be an Irish ballroom in the 50's 60's with lots of Irish artists paying there, however in the late 70's it change its name to the Electric Ballroom and kept that name until today. It is almost next to the Camden Tube station.

Until recently it was used at weekends for market holders stalls. Also a little further up Chalk Farm Road will find the Round House, which is almost next to Chalk Farm tube station and there usually lots going in there most of the time.

Lot eating places on Chalk Farm Road as well. :)

http://www.londonnet.co.uk/news/2013/feb/music-walk-fame-set-camden-town-pink-floyd-oasis-and-amy-winehouse-lined-inclusion.htm

http://www.roundhouse.org.uk/visit

http://www.roundhouse.org.uk/whats-on

http://www.mtv.co.uk/events/camden-crawl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNDnPxeYkDc

Advertisement