Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative Christmas Dinner

Options
  • 21-10-2012 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭

We are not fans of turkey in my house and last year we decided to try something different on Xmas day. We did a delicious roast pork with all the trimmings.

We are wondering what to do this year. Any ideas on something special to cook? I dont care how much preparation is involved. Was considering a whole salmon in one of those fish baking tins.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Was considering a whole salmon in one of those fish baking tins.

You mean...tin foil? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

You mean...tin foil? :pac:

No, one of these:
    http://www.nextag.com/fish-poacher/stores-html

Red Pepper wrote: »

It was a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We like turkey, but have done goose some years, and also whole turbot. The turbot is awesome. Easier to get the huge ones over the last few years with more demand from europeans.

You cut a few slashes in the top skin and around the edges (because it tightens as it cooks). Then put it in a roasting pan with some water in the base. Cover with foil. It basically steams for 40 mins for a huge one, but look up cooking times for the weight.

We had it with a basic warm basil butter over it, roast potatoes and lots of greens. Food of the gods.

Goose also amazing, but doesn't go far. Depends on the size of your crowd, 6 max I think. There isn't a whole pile more meat on a heavier goose, the extra weight is mostly fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Duck?

• Advertisement

Gammon and spiced beef?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

Usually baked ham, brown sugar glaze pineapple. variety of sides and dessert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Goose?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Last year I did a fantastic rib of beef(on the bone), you can source the best meat in your area and get your butcher to do the hard work with it, like you I don't think much of turkey but its not christmas without the spiced beef, you can order Jack McCarthy's of Kanturk online and you'll hardly taste better(Durcans in the English market is great as well).
    The only meat on the plate was beef but that was fine with me and my guests, besides that it was traditional, red wine gravy, stuffing, roasted veg and potatoes, even the sprouts.
    In summary, you can't go wrong with really good roast beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Last year we had pork loin stuffed with apple, apricot, chedder and spinach.

This year I'm thinking duck but am also considering giving a go off a 12 hour slow roasted pork shoulder with a spicy apple sauce. I have the recipe at home if anyone's interested in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

two years ago we did a stuffed roast tenderloin for Christmas. Stuffing is caramelized onions, mushrooms, garlic and madeira (or marsala) wine. It will be expensive but tastes and looks fantastic and is easy to cook. We made a maderia gravy with it which was fresh herb induced maderia wine (overnight) reduced to a near syrup and then added some nice good beef stock, All served with a platter of various roasted veg.

nd06_beef_article.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Lamb. I cannot stand turkey so will usually opt for lamb or something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

BailMeOut wrote: »
    two years ago we did a stuffed roast tenderloin for Christmas. Stuffing is caramelized onions, mushrooms, garlic and madeira (or marsala) wine. It will be expensive but tastes and looks fantastic and is easy to cook. We made a maderia gravy with it which was fresh herb induced maderia wine (overnight) reduced to a near syrup and then added some nice good beef stock, All served with a platter of various roasted veg.

That looks bliddy tasty !

I've cooked most things for christmas in my time, even did turkey a few times ;).
    After all the years I have come to the conclusion that a lovely gamey roast of sorts (ie wild boar, pheasant...) suits me best for such a special occasion. With not too many sides : one potato dish (like croquettes or dauphinoise potatoes), 2 vegetables that compliment the meat perfectly and a jus/gravy.

A well thought out starter and dessert and we're done without too many leftovers and nobody feeling overly stuffed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Did rib roast beef last year and doing again this year, 'twas mighty fine tender as hell with all the trimmings and a lovely gravy from the juice mmmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

livinsane wrote: »
    Last year we had pork loin stuffed with apple, apricot, chedder and spinach.

This year I'm thinking duck but am also considering giving a go off a 12 hour slow roasted pork shoulder with a spicy apple sauce. I have the recipe at home if anyone's interested in it.

That slow roasted pork shoulder sounds amazing! Any chance you could post the recipe? I'd love to try it out next time I have a crowd to cook for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Done several of the suggested here over the years and all very good.

Roast Rib of Beef - spend a bit extra with a good butcher and you wont go wrong. Very tasty and works well with the usual Christmas sides

Goose - good but as advised by other posters wont go too far so deffo have a good lot of ham to supplement

Duck - Ok but never as good as you would think it would be imo...

Venison - worth the effort but you have to be very, very careful roasting same or its like chewing rubber. Get it right and it can be the perfect Christmas meal (for those of us with a wry sense of humor!)

I have heard of some folks who go for a really decent free range chicken with a decent ham and are happy out so have a read through these posts and if you can trial some in advance and then enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

We usually go for a rib of beef and a ham. Theres only 2 of us but we normally have the leftovers on Stephens day.

This year I'm thinking either a whole beef fillet stuffed or venison. Probably with an organic chicken for stephens day, not feeling ham this year.

I'm lucky that the other half works for superquinn so we get a great discount on everything, which means we can splash out for Winterfest.

That slow roasted pork shoulder sounds amazing! Any chance you could post the recipe? I'd love to try it out next time I have a crowd to cook for.

Overnight shoulder of pork with spiced apple relish

Ingredients

For the meat:
    3.5-4kg bone-in shoulder of pork, skin scored
    Sea salt

For the spiced apple sauce:
    6 bramley apples
    50ml cider vinegar
    50g caster sugar
    1 nutmeg
    2 cinnamon sticks broken
    1 red chilli chopped

Method

Preheat oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7

Boil a kettle and place pork on a wire rack in the sink, skin side up

Pour boiling water over skin and drain

This puffs up skin so it's ready to crackle

Wipe the skin dry with kitchen paper

Salt with coarse sea salt

Roast for 20mins, cover with foil and reduce heat to 120C/250F/Gas 0.5

Roast for 11 hours

Remove the foil, return heat to 220C/425F/Gas 7 and roast for 10-15 mins

You should have perfect crackling

Rest for 15 mins

The pork should be so tender that you could serve it with a spoon

Meanwhile peel and core the apples and boil with 50ml water, vinegar, sugar and spices until the apples are mushy. Serve with the spices still in.

There should be plenty pork fat left from the roast for your spuds!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

livinsane wrote: »
    Overnight shoulder of pork with spiced apple relish

Ingredients

For the meat:
    3.5-4kg bone-in shoulder of pork, skin scored
    Sea salt

For the spiced apple sauce:
    6 bramley apples
    50ml cider vinegar
    50g caster sugar
    1 nutmeg
    2 cinnamon sticks broken
    1 red chilli chopped

Method

Preheat oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7

Boil a kettle and place pork on a wire rack in the sink, skin side up

Pour boiling water over skin and drain

This puffs up skin so it's ready to crackle

Wipe the skin dry with kitchen paper

Salt with coarse sea salt

Roast for 20mins, cover with foil and reduce heat to 120C/250F/Gas 0.5

Roast for 11 hours

Remove the foil, return heat to 220C/425F/Gas 7 and roast for 10-15 mins

You should have perfect crackling

Rest for 15 mins

The pork should be so tender that you could serve it with a spoon

Meanwhile peel and core the apples and boil with 50ml water, vinegar, sugar and spices until the apples are mushy. Serve with the spices still in.

There should be plenty pork fat left from the roast for your spuds!

Niamh Shields recipe, haven't tried that yet but I've had a go at a good few of her recipes, an old college acquaintance of mine as it happens.

Niamh Shields recipe, haven't tried that yet but I've had a go at a good few of her recipes, an old college acquaintance of mine as it happens.

I got in on a magazine cutting so didn't know whose it was. I must check her out so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

We always have turkey, and goose, and ham. There are only 7 of us, so plenty for all! And this year my brother has turned veggie, so we will also be doing fish or nut roast!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've tried a couple of alternatives to turkey. Goose is fantastic, but a lot of fat comes off. Carp was a disaster (it tastes like mud). I might get a whole duckling this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

We gave up on the turkey a few years ago. We have had a leg of roast lamb with garlic and rosemary. We've done the roast rib of beef which was delicious. Having read this thread I reckon I will give pwurple's turbot a go. It sounds like a meal that would be devoured in this house. Pwurple, was it fresh turbot and if so where did you get it, cheers.

Advertisement