Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right im off home

Options
  • 21-10-2012 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Been an experience living over here but iv got to the stage when im fed up and heading back home for various reasons. Question is I have shopped ALOT since i moved over and got alot of stuff to bring home. Was looking at the bus option from golders green. Got a 22" tv and bout 3 cases to get back. Can I get that much stuff on the bus or has anybody experienced other ways of getting stuff back to dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

You could send some of your stuff home with this company. Really reasonable rates.
    http://www.parcelhero.com/Home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Sail and Rail from London Euston to Dublin Port costs about £40. There's no baggage restriction with the ferry so you can take whatever you can physically carry. 09:10 train from Euston arrives in Holyhead for 12:50 and you can get the 14:10 sailing and be back in Dublin for 17:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

zodiak wrote: »
    Got a 22" tv and bout 3 cases to get back. Can I get that much stuff on the bus...
    That sounds like a monumental amount of hassle. I'd be looking at shipping options if I were you. Plenty of "man and a van" services that make regular Dublin-London runs and don't charge all that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭zodiak

thanks for the replies. I am flying to Dublin on Friday so going to get a case back then leaves me with 2 cases and a tv... doesnt sound impossible maybe the sail rail is an option

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Ditch the tv. 2 bags you'll manage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

enda1 wrote: »
    Ditch the tv. 2 bags you'll manage.
    Ditto this, 22" tv is worth around 17.42 these days. I came over on the sail rail option with two big suitcases. There wasn't much storage room in the carriage for large suitcases (that I seen) so bear that in mind if getting on in Euston i.e be there early. I boarded in Holyhead so the train was very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,277 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

zodiak wrote: »
    thanks for the replies. I am flying to Dublin on Friday so going to get a case back then leaves me with 2 cases and a tv... doesnt sound impossible maybe the sail rail is an option

If you're left with 2 cases why not fly back with both or even 3?

Marcusm wrote: »
    If you're left with 2 cases why not fly back with both or even 3?
    You only get a certain checked baggage allowance with each seat: 20kg with Aer Lingus for example. If you go over that, you obviously have to pay a charge: £6 per kg on Aer Lingus, if booked in advance (double that at the airport). So if you've got two big bags, you'd actually save money by buying an extra seat on the plane, which obviously makes absolutely no financial sense.

Sail & Rail is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,277 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

djpbarry wrote: »
    You only get a certain checked baggage allowance with each seat: 20kg with Aer Lingus for example. If you go over that, you obviously have to pay a charge: £6 per kg on Aer Lingus, if booked in advance (double that at the airport). So if you've got two big bags, you'd actually save money by buying an extra seat on the plane, which obviously makes absolutely no financial sense.

Sail & Rail is the way to go.

You can pay for 2 bags; do you mean that the single allowance is for both bags? I thought the £6 per kg applied to the weight in excess of the std weight.

Marcusm wrote: »
    You can pay for 2 bags
    Yes, but the combined weight cannot exceed 20kg.

• Advertisement

Yes, but the combined weight cannot exceed 20kg.

BA.

enda1 wrote: »
    BA.
    I think it's only slightly more with BA.

I think it's only slightly more with BA.

Well it's £34 for the extra bag I think and 23kg for each bag. So cheaper in that sense than the povo airlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭zodiak

thanks for all the replies guys... im heading back on tuesday, got 2 large bags managed to get one home at the weekend but the tv at home decided to give up so im going to give getting this one home a try (plus i only bought it so f**k this im unemployed now). Sail rail was best option so iv gone for that thanks for the info!!

Advertisement