Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why AGATT...this is why!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Cienciano wrote: »
    I dont have a car.
    Ive yet to meet a agatt biker that just has a bike and uses it for everything

I dont have a car either, only licensed to ride bikes and no interets in getting a car license.Its always agatt for me, most of the time even if I am going to the shop or running errands I always take the long route back home just to spend that little bit more time on the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

:rolleyes:..not this old chesnut again...
    Just spent the weekend at a bike show in the UK...the amount of bikers in atg i could count on one hand, no power rangers but plenty of sports bikes..mostly jeans boots and jackets....i'm more of a practical thinker and only wear the power-ranger suit in the summer on the "sunny" days, which for some reason are the faster days..;)...otherwise its jeans, leather or denim.. boots, biker or doc's and a jacket, leather or w/proof....each to his/her own , i wont be persuaded by video ,ad's or others opinions...but IMO modern bikers are gone a bit soft....i'll get me coat....:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Actually thinking about it more, I'm all the gear most of the time but its for comfort and protection against the elements rather than crash protection.

IN warm weather I wear an open face lid, a brilliant jacket which I bought in Mountjoy Motorcycles at 20++ years ago, never once has it leaked and has been in more off's than I can remember.

The pants are Aldi's, I think they cost me about €30 and in the last few years haven't leaked or fallen apart.

But tbh thats when I'm commuting to and from work Monday to Friday, outside of that Its normally jeans, hiking boots and the above mentioned jacket & lid.

I have a car but only use it when I'm going for a pint.

Maybe if I knew I was only going to the shop and back I would have a diferent mindset, however, my shop runs usually take an hour mininmum...she seems to send me to the shop less and less these days and goes in the car instead of asking me! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    Maybe if I knew I was only going to the shop and back I would have a diferent mindset, however, my shop runs usually take an hour mininmum...she seems to send me to the shop less and less these days and goes in the car instead of asking me! :D

Maybe she has her eye on the lad in the shop.............:D

• Advertisement

Maybe she has her eye on the lad in the shop.............:D

No lads work in that shop.:D...wait a minute....:(...:mad:...:eek:...this could wokr in my favour :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Thats the thing though, you dont have to be on a long journey to get in a crash. The crash doesnt happen for the whole commute, just that one spot on the commute so going to the shop is the exact same, accidents can happen anytime anywhere so why would you change your mindset if you only went to the shop? That kind of kills your ATGATT argument .

Thats the thing though, you dont have to be on a long journey to get in a crash. The crash doesnt happen for the whole commute, just that one spot on the commute so going to the shop is the exact same, accidents can happen anytime anywhere so why would you change your mindset if you only went to the shop? That kind of kills you ATGATT argument .

As I said..maybe I just wouldnt be bothered then ;). I dont see how that effects the ATGATT statement, you talk about it being a personal choice yet when I say I might change my mind about it you think it kills the whole ATGATT motto. Just because I do ATGATT now doesnt neccessarily mean I will stick to it in the future. Just trying to see it from the other point of view thats all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Anybody else think it was the same person arguing with themselves.

Anybody else think it was the same person arguing with themselves.

200px-Trollface.svg.png

nice try :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

As I said..maybe I just wouldnt be bothered then ;). I dont see how that effects the ATGATT statement, you talk about it being a personal choice yet when I say I might change my mind about it you think it kills the whole ATGATT motto. Just because I do ATGATT now doesnt neccessarily mean I will stick to it in the future. Just trying to see it from the other point of view thats all.

So your not fully dedicated to ATGATT then?
    I know your only asking questions to see both points of view.

If you might change your mind in the future does that mean that you will care less about yourself so wont mind busting yourself on the ground because of less gear on you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭ratracer

I reckon I'm AGATT. Always jacket, helmet boots and either textile trousers or draggin' jeans. I fully expect that if I come off bones will break, but skin grafts really aren't something i want. This is my sole reason for AGATT, what anyone else does is their business.
    Happy riding:)

So your not fully dedicated to ATGATT then?
    I know your only asking questions to see both points of view.

If you might change your mind in the future does that mean that you will care less about yourself so wont mind busting yourself on the ground because of less gear on you ?

I am right now as I have too many responsibilities towards my family and its in their best interest that I minimise any damage thats going to be done so I can get back to work asap should anything happen!

If my situation was different I might have a different point of view on the whole thing and the thread started on this thought. I was reckless when I was younger but with time that changed, as it does with allot of people.

Who knows I might have a midlife crisis that might change my view or just make me carefree. I might feel this way when my kids are no longer depending on me or when I am 50, when it becomes too much hassle to put on all the gear, to bend down to put on my boots or to reach behind me to fasten my jacket to my trousers at the back.

This is why I don’t pass judgement on people that are not AGATT, different circumstances at one particular point in their life could result in different choices.

A friend of mine has allot of problems with his knees and he is restricted to what he can wear due to the pain he has, but he is an avid biker and has been for many years. He was a firm believer in ATGATT until he got to a point where it was just too painful for him to put on leathers and try to bend down to fasten boots and gear so he just wears full gear on the top and whatever he put on first thing in the morning on the bottom, this is another reason why I don’t pass judgement or lecture people about it.

I am right now as I have too many responsibilities towards my family and its in their best interest that I minimise any damage thats going to be done so I can get back to work asap should anything happen!

If my situation was different I might have a different point of view on the whole thing and the thread started on this thought. I was reckless when I was younger but with time that changed, as it does with allot of people.
    ]Who knows I might have a midlife crisis that might change my view or just make me carefree. I might feel this way when my kids are no longer depending on me or when I am 50, when it becomes too much hassle to put on all the gear, to bend down to put on my boots or to reach behind me to fasten my jacket to my trousers at the back.

This is why I don’t pass judgement on people that are not AGATT, different circumstances at one particular point in their life could result in different choices. A friend of mine has allot of problems with his knees and he is restricted to what he can wear due to the pain he has, but he is an avid biker and has been for many years. He was a firm believer in ATGATT until he got to a point where it was just too painful for him to put on leathers and try to bend down to fasten boots and gear so he just wears full gear on the top and whatever he put on first thing in the morning on the bottom, this is another reason why I don’t pass judgement or lecture people about it.

Thats hairy muff (fair enough) . Im sure anyone on here nearing 50 will love you hahahaha. I have no kids and Im a lazy bollox when it come s to putting the gear on, that and another one or two things that dont really matter but Im just not bothered with ATGATT, each to their own sure as anything else.

only changed colour back to normal in the quote as I use a dark theme on boards.ie and the black text was awkward to read.

Thats hairy muff (fair enough) . Im sure anyone on here nearing 50 will love you hahahaha. I have no kids and Im a lazy bollox when it come s to putting the gear on, that and another one or two things that dont really matter but Im just not bothered with ATGATT, each to their own sure as anything else.

only changed colour back to normal in the quote as I use a dark theme on boards.ie and the black text was awkward to read.

I only thought about that after I posted LOL, I'm sure to get a punch in the arm from a few people I know!

I only thought about that after I posted LOL, I'm sure to get a punch in the arm from a few people I know!

Its ok, they might fall over before the punch lands haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

attachment.php?attachmentid=2298&stc=1&d=1225679751

Brolly-gatt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Love them Dainese sandals........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

If you're that petrified of the possible injuries then maybe biking isn't for you anyway?

I usually gear up fully these days, but that's because I only use the bike for fun spins. I don't commute on it.

Back when I used it everyday, I had no qualms about hopping on with just lid, jacket & gloves in terms of PPE.

I'd love to know what speeds that guy was doing to get road rash like that, I bet he was doing a bit more than the 30-40mph you'd be doing around town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

KamiKazi wrote: »
    If you're that petrified of the possible injuries then maybe biking isn't for you anyway?

I usually gear up fully these days, but that's because I only use the bike for fun spins. I don't commute on it.

Back when I used it everyday, I had no qualms about hopping on with just lid, jacket & gloves in terms of PPE.

I'd love to know what speeds that guy was doing to get road rash like that, I bet he was doing a bit more than the 30-40mph you'd be doing around town.

He was doing around 40mph. Its seems to be pretty normal among motorcyclists to completely underestimate the injury's sustained at low speed offs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I fell of two weeks ago doing 10 mph. The bruising is just clearing.
    Bike jacket on and no bruising, jeans on and both knees were black with bruises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

rat_race wrote: »
    Yep. I've fallen off my push bikes several times, at low speed...pain & scars. Taught me the easy way that I do not want to come off any moving object going faster than 15kmh...ever!

+1. Had the stabilisers taken off my pushbike when i was about 4 years old and was given my older brother's old chopper bike (the original one with the gear lever in the middle lol), had to stand up to cycle it as i was so small and lost count how many times i fell off over the years. Those early pain memories never leave you, well that and watching some cycling race as a kid and seeing a guy come off his bike and rip the t-shirt and the skin off his back:eek:
    I Always wear all the gear, tbh i feel rather naked and vulnerable without it, but that's just me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

On a Sunday/fun spin I wear everything - back protector etc. If i'm fannying about on the KTM to Howth or something i'll wear everyting besides the leather bottoms - just go with jeans and boots.
    Personally i couldnt care less what anybody wears once they have a helmet on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Wossack wrote: »
    wouldnt mind a pair of draggin's alright

in reality, Ive only not worn full gear, maybe 4 times in the last 3 years - and that would have been full gear, and just normal jeans, just to pop to the shops <5km to get milk, or have a few pints (kidding!)

reckon the ATGATT is primarily an americanism - and probably rightfully.. flipflops and shorts type malarky, which even I (with the aforementioned zen like state of personal choice :P) have some umbrage with hah

Draggin's are pretty awesome. Had my eye on a pair of digital camo colored ones, but an old friend bought me a pair of regular jean coloured ones for a birthday last year, which were better for trips to the city, and mates houses. Coz what looks cool on the bike doesn't necessarily look cool once you get off and have to walk around in. Never got around to having an off with them on, but they were bloody heavy. And in Perth 35-40degree heat I'd still be sweating in them doing 80kph.

I digress. As for the AGATT issue, in summer in Perth, if I was headed to work, or into the city (15 min trips, which I knew like the back of my hand) I'd just chuck on my lid, gloves and draggins. If I was going for a long trip, +100kms up the coast I'd wear my jacket too. it its different there. The roads are 10x better mantained, and motorists are more aware than they are in Ireland. Not to say there aren't ****wits there, just less of them.

My dad rides sportsbikes (he's sixty something) and has always worn full leathers. Didnt stop him coming off though when the council sporadically dug up 20ft sections of the road and then didn't lay it properly when they were finished. It did stop him from getting any serious injuries. Its personal preference at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,408 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

KamiKazi wrote: »

You can suffer a permanently disabling lower limb injury at quite a low speed, it's a wonder to me how riders will wear a fancy lid and expensive jacket, but just jeans and trainers below the waist which give no protection at all.

I was hit side-on by a car six years ago, when just commuting, 50km/h zone, I was wearing leathers and boots. The car impacted me on the foot, I had some crushed toes despite the bike boots, but if I'd been wearing trainers I'd probably have lost my foot. As it was, it was ok within a few weeks. As far as I'm concerned, proper bike boots are a must (even if you don't wear leather or armoured jeans.)

A couple of years later, a neighbour of mine lost his foot when a car pulled out on him. Wasn't wearing any gear (other than a jacket and lid) as it was only up the road and nothing bad ever happens close to home...

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

ninja900 wrote: »
    A couple of years later, a neighbour of mine lost his foot when a car pulled out on him. Wasn't wearing any gear (other than a jacket and lid) as it was only up the road and nothing bad ever happens close to home...

The bit I don't get about not wearing protective pants is that if you need skin grafts they are coming from your ass, if your ass needs skin grafts, you're fooked.

It's personal choice, but some people make what I would consider to be dumb personal choices. My buddy being one, he wouldn't wear a helmet if it wasn't mandated by law, but loves his leather jacket :rolleyes: Then again, he rides like old people fcuk...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

The bit I don't get about not wearing protective pants is that if you need skin grafts they are coming from your ass, if your ass needs skin grafts, you're fooked.

They can get it from other places too, none are pleasant though, don't think for a second atgatt is any insurance you won't need one.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭designbydan

bladespin wrote: »
    They can get it from other places too, none are pleasant though, don't think for a second atgatt is any insurance you won't need one.

speaking from NO experience but just common sense. . . . . wouldn't not wearing agatt be a guarantee that you will need one? (if/when you do crash)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

bladespin wrote: »

Yeah, I realise it doesn't completely stop the need for them, but it certainly lessens the need. I'll likely always be ATGATT simply because Broken bones wouldn't bother me but being skinned would, and it's way more likely to happen if I had an off while wearing jeans and t-shirt.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Why female pillions and male pillions need to wear the correct gear too.

Just incase your fella or buddy decides to do this on you,when you aint expecting it and aint kitted out propperly,in the event that something bad happens..

OUCH.:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjQfzPhNfWs

Advertisement