Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charger/battery issue

Options
  • 21-10-2012 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

i have a compaq (not sure of model etc) but have a replacement universal charger as the original broke. the replacement worked fine, but in the past few weeks, my battery icon constantly says 0% available and if i unplug the charger, the laptop will turn off after 5seconds. seems that the charger is simply not charging the battery, but how can u tell if its charger or battery? i dont want to have to pay a shop to just tell me to replace something!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,199 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Your batter could be kaput but you could also have the Universal charger at the wrong voltage, have a look at the battery on your laptop and it should tell you what volts it should be i'd guess around 19, check and see is it.

Get a proper compaq charger there not that dear and a new long life battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Brother Psychosis

Get a proper compaq charger there not that dear and a new long life battery.

how much would a new battery cost? never had to buy a replacement battery, usually the laptop goes first!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I have just had a similar issue with a HP Compaq. Even with a new charger and battery, it still has charging issues. Some things I spotted though:
    • The client had a universal charger at first which did not provide adequate voltage for charging the battery (check sticker on back of laptop, many need 19v input voltage). Machine worked only while plugged in, battery never charged.
    • Replaced charger and battery started charging.
    • Two days later didnt the battery die :rolleyes: . Replaced the battery and now it only charges properly when the machine hasn't been turned on.
    Reason I'm posting this is I have discovered some HP bios versions have issues with charging. These range from battery never charging, or the problems above. Check the battery with the HP Support Utility and if it says it needs replacing then replacing the battery shouls sort it, it may not be that simple like in my expierience though :) :pac: . Of course HP don't seem to have a bios fix available for this issue...

Nick

Advertisement