Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed

Options
  • 21-10-2012 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I suffer from a condition that affects my mobility and strength but not constantly. However, lately it seems to be affecting me a lot more, almost everyday, so I've been using up holiday hours at work to prevent having to go out sick.

To be honest I think the reason I'm getting worse is because I cant take the time to recover properly from episodes but I live a lone so couldn't possibly afford to.

Is there anyway to get assistance or something similar to Partial Capacity Benefit without the 6 months spent on Illness Benefit. I dont want to stop working but definitely feel my health is deteriorating quickly because of it.

Any advice would help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I suffer from a condition that affects my mobility and strength but not constantly. However, lately it seems to be affecting me a lot more, almost everyday, so I've been using up holiday hours at work to prevent having to go out sick.

To be honest I think the reason I'm getting worse is because I cant take the time to recover properly from episodes but I live a lone so couldn't possibly afford to.

Is there anyway to get assistance or something similar to Partial Capacity Benefit without the 6 months spent on Illness Benefit. I dont want to stop working but definitely feel my health is deteriorating quickly because of it.

Any advice would help

Have you spoken to your boss or HR Dept?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 TrishAlmighty

I've only actually had to phone in sick a small number of times so I havent talked to my boss in too much detail about it yet.
    If I'm honest I've been putting it off until I can find a solution. Its just a small business of 4 people so there isnt a HR dept. as such and there wouldnt be cover if I'm out of work longterm.
    But if I could reduce my hrs and have a small bit of assistance with bills etc. then I should be able to manage my condition to an extent that I wont have to take time off

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I've only actually had to phone in sick a small number of times so I havent talked to my boss in too much detail about it yet.
    If I'm honest I've been putting it off until I can find a solution. Its just a small business of 4 people so there isnt a HR dept. as such and there wouldnt be cover if I'm out of work longterm.
    But if I could reduce my hrs and have a small bit of assistance with bills etc. then I should be able to manage my condition to an extent that I wont have to take time off

Your health is your wealth. That comes before your job. I would talk to a colleague about it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Equality

Hi Trish,

The first thing to do is to appy for Disability Allowance. There is a medical requirement associated with this social welfare payment, and by applying you will find out if your medical condition is significant enough to permit you to qualify, on the medical condition basis, for this payment.

There is also a means test element. You need to qualify on both counts in order to get a payment.

However, it is a good idea to apply anyway, even if you know you will fail the means test element, becasue it allows you to find out if you meet the medical requirements.

The means test may take into account all income, therefore earnings of 188 could put you over the limit.

However, the means test may give you a disregard of €120, and count income between 120-350 at half rate. A quick calculation suggests that a weekly income of less than 420 approx might, in this case, allow you to become eligible for some payment. If you are in this position, the problem will be to get the disregard applied.

Alternatively, if you reduced your hours below 30/week, you could apply for help with the cost of accommodation. Again, this is means tested, so a lot depends on your income.

With regard to your employer, would they allow you to work part time, if you requested this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 TrishAlmighty

Thanks Equality.......I wasnt aware you could apply for anything like this if you were in employment at all so hadnt considered it.

I think my employer would be fine with reduced hours as my hours are quite flexible anyway so this route may help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Equality

Yeah, applying for Disability Allowance is possible even if you are currently working. It is a good idea to apply, because as I said, it will allow you to find out if you meet the medical condition part of the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 robjo

All the information you need is on www.disability.ie

Advertisement