Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine Abroad

Options
  • 21-10-2012 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

So I've been reading a lot of online forums in relation to MED and that..
    In a few of them there are people stating that scotland or UK generally is a lot easier to get into medicine over there, One comment was like.." Why are ye all so stressed about getting into UCG and UCD,when I've got offers in scotland!"
    And others just explaining how its easier to do it, But they don't explain how to go by doing it?
    How do the UK Colleges Assess Irish Students?
    Are they a Good place to go to?
    Is there a Reason why they're easier to get in to? (IF they are at all)
    Any help appreciated :):D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

i certainly wouldn't say it is easier at all. i know that a load of my friends were rejected in the UK. you have to do an exam called UKCAT, an interview and a really good personal statement and get excellent leaving cert results. its not easy whatsoever.
    good luck in your quest for medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭chanste

In case your referring to the graduate entry route, the exam for most of them throughout UK and Ireland is the GAMSAT and whether or not you sit it here or over there is irrelevant, your score applies to all colleges accepting GAMSAT. I think the Irish colleges are a lot easier to get into.

While on the subject though a lot of people debate the pros and cons of Irish colleges on these boards. In my opinion if you could get offered a place somewhere like Oxford, Cambridge, or Imperial College it would have a much better standing internationally as each of the above consistently rank in the worlds top 10 compared with Ireland who rarely make the top 100. For the record I'm perfectly happy on course here in UL - but I only bring the point up in case people get some idea that the UK offer some kind of yellow pack, easy to get into courses, far from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Agnieszka_88

chanste wrote: »
    In case your referring to the graduate entry route, the exam for most of them throughout UK and Ireland is the GAMSAT and whether or not you sit it here or over there is irrelevant, your score applies to all colleges accepting GAMSAT. I think the Irish colleges are a lot easier to get into.

Not most of them, there are only 4 (I think) that accept the GAMSAT. Oxbridge is certainly not on that list, nor are any of the Scottish universities. Some (most) require the UKCAT, others want the PLAB... Some (about half of them) require a first degree in a field related to medicine. Really, it depends on the university. But the one thing they all have in common is that they require you to have relevant experience in a medical field AND the ridiculously difficult interviews. So I guess, if you were a nurse, or a caretaker, or even a porter in the NHS/HSE, you might find it easier to get into a UK gradmed course. If not, you'll have to start planning ahead, volunteering, shadowing doctors etc. to even deserve an interview invitation (which doesn't guarantee you a place). So the Irish process is a lot easier and less stressful to get through.
    chanste wrote: »
    In my opinion if you could get offered a place somewhere like Oxford, Cambridge, or Imperial College it would have a much better standing internationally as each of the above consistently rank in the worlds top 10 compared with Ireland who rarely make the top 100.

I agree, especially if you want to emigrate to the States. If you manage to get into Oxbridge, all (well, most) doors will open for you.

What makes medicine in the UK easier, is the money (isn't it always...). You are entitled to an NHS grant that covers tuition for years 2-4, so that means that you'll only have to pay for your first year (and I think it's not even the whole amount). The foundation year is also a little less hellish than in Ireland, from what I've been told (but with the oncoming NHS privatisation, it may all change very soon).

To be honest, I've considered applying in the UK, especially with the credit crunch in Ireland, but with my job I really don't have the time to volunteer in hospices and whatnot. Even if I did, I don't think they'd think much of me shadowing German doctors, so I'm probably going to stick with Ireland. But if someone has the time and is determined, I'd say go for it (even if you end up in Ireland, you'd still have at least a general idea of how your future job might look like).

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

Anyone have any opinions on medicine in Italy?
    There are some undergraduate courses there with minimal fees, thought through English.
    I'm considering it as my back up.

Advertisement