Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mary Bell

• 21-10-2012 11:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

How would you feel living beside Mary Bell?
    Should someone so evil so young ever be released? I don't think she should have been. She's rotten to the core.
    She killed and mutilated a 3 and 4 year old at the age of only 11 herself.
    Do you think her mother working the game contributed to her sick mind?
    I'd go as far as to say she is possibly the most evil woman of all time. Why did she return to carve an M on the victim.
    Hopefully her new identity is soon published. I feel sorry for her grand kids in particular, not knowing of the witch she is.
    She deserves to rot.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Internet Hero

dont know who she is so i wouldnt really mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Plenty of people worse than her have been released since she was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Saw a documentary on her a month or so ago.

Was chilling to say the least.

I doubt her identity would be made public after all this time though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Plenty of people worse than her have been released since she was
    I wouldn't say there is anyone worse, equally as evil perhaps. There is no way she should be out there now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Seeing as Teddy neglected to give any information as to who he was on about...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Bell

• Advertisement

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Seeing as Teddy neglected to give any information as to who he was on about...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Bell
    Oh yea I thought I pasted that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I wouldn't say there is anyone worse, equally as evil perhaps. There is no way she should be out there now.

Well presumably she's kept her nose clean for the 32 years that since she's been out. She served her time and is no longer classed as a threat.

She may not have served enough time, but that's another issue. I wouldn't base my opinion on the morality of it.. realistically; someone of a greater threat to you probably lives next door already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Was only talking about Mary Bell the other day!!!

Exceptional extenuating circumstances in her case tho Teddy.

I wouldn't give her the name of most evil tbh given her background it was mitigating to say the least(not excusing what she did)

BTW the "M" was the initial of the girl she was with at the second murder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

From wikipeida;
    Mary herself says she was subjected to repeated sexual abuse, her mother forcing her from the age of four to engage in sex acts with men
    I'd seriously wonder how her mental health would be after this, and was the sexual abuse still continuing up to when she killed the two boys? Also, as she had "mutilate his (Brian Howe) penis", I'm assuming she had a deep resentment at the time to all males, probably due to what her mother had forced her to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Someone should of killed her daughter to see how she would of liked it.

• Advertisement

Well presumably she's kept her nose clean for the 32 years that since she's been out. She served her time and is no longer classed as a threat.

She may not have served enough time, but that's another issue. I wouldn't base my opinion on the morality of it.. realistically; someone of a greater threat to you probably lives next door already.
    Are you talking about the ginger family or the nosey teacher? I'd be willing to bet it's the teacher and have no doubt that wagon has been using my Internet seeing as I have no security right now. But that's another story.

the_syco wrote: »
    From wikipeida;

I'd seriously wonder how her mental health would be after this, and was the sexual abuse still continuing up to when she killed the two boys? Also, as she had "mutilate his (Brian Howe) penis", I'm assuming she had a deep resentment at the time to all males, probably due to what her mother had forced her to do.
    She was known to be a compulsive liar.

Would people feel comfortable with her living across the road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

It was a long time ago, she was very young, had a terrible upbringing, has served her time and not re-offended in any way since release. I think she and her family deserve to be left alone to live their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Should someone so evil so young ever be released? I don't think she should have been. She's rotten to the core.
    I'd go as far as to say she is possibly the most evil woman of all time. Why did she return to carve an M on the victim.
    Hopefully her new identity is soon published. I feel sorry for her grand kids in particular, not knowing of the witch she is.
    She deserves to rot.
    So, em, how's all in Teddy land?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Id happily live beside her. She wasn't bad looking back then, could be a GILF by now..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Are you talking about the ginger family or the nosey teacher? I'd be willing to bet it's the teacher and have no doubt that wagon has been using my Internet seeing as I have no security right now. But that's another story.
    Ah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

As difficult as it is not to be filled with hatred for people like Mary Bell, she was very young, had a difficult childhood and served her sentence. I do think people like this once rehabilitated do deserve to be free from jail. Otherwise, what is the point of jail? Might as well reintroduce the death penalty.

However, I can't agree with providing anonymity to convicted criminals like this. They should have to live with what they've done for the rest of their lives and more importantly, I think society deserves to know if they're living in an area where a dangerous convicted criminal is, even if they are supposedly rehabilitated and moving on with their lives. I know this introduces all sorts of hell for the (ex) criminal but I really would not like to be living next to this woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I am in no way condoning what she did, but from the day she was born she knew nothing but hate, probably till her mid to late teens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

If this is the same Mary Bell that killed two kids long, long ago ....... I remember thinking at the time that she should be put away for ever. In court she said she "stomped and stomped" on his head. Really evil and such a disturbing thought. Have just read the wiki link ......... I don't think that sexual abuse was mentioned at the trial. But if she's kept her nose clean all those years I think she deserves (and especially her daughter) to be left alone by the tabloids who, in a hypocritical moralistic stance, want to resensationalise the whole sorry saga to promote flagging sales.

As a family newspaper we won't divulge more of the story than necessary. Read the day by day sordid reports of the trial - with pics - in pages 2,3,4,5,7,8,9,10, and 13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

the_syco wrote: »
    From wikipeida;

It was not just boys.

She also attenmted to strangle two little girls who were playing in a sandpit. They didn'tleave when she asked them, so she attempted to strangle them and forced sand down their throats.

It was that incident that alerted authorities and made her the prime suspect in the murders, from what I recall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Smidge wrote: »
    BTW the "M" was the initial of the girl she was with at the second murder.
    She carved an N, for Norma who was the other girl with her but she then changed it to an M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Evil is a stupid term bandied about to justify punitive rather than rehabilitation prison terms. Yes, she displayed symptoms of psychopathy, when she was 11. She was reviewed a LOT of times by lots of different psychiatrists before she was released. A close eye would have been kept on her and she has not to anyones knowledge commit any more crimes since her release.

What she did was evil, but calling her evil is incredibly moronic when you know nothing of her except for 2 horrible acts she committed when she was 11, 7 years after the beginning of a cycle of abuse.

I am NOT justifying her actions, but if in her evaluations she was deemed to be no longer a threat to others then why should she be held any longer? To make you feel better about yourself?

Prisons should be primarily for rehabilitation, NOT for punishment. That is not to say Punitive sentences shouldn't be handed down, but they shouldn't exceed far past the point of rehabilitation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Someone should of killed her daughter to see how she would of liked it.

Wrong thread!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056787075

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

She deserves to rot.
    Having read your post and knowing more of the detail of the case than you bothered to find out , I have to say I think you and your rabble rousing posts cause a greater threat to society than she does.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Lambsbread

She had a terrible up bringing so it is unfair to say she is "Evil". From the age of 11 to when she was released she was removed from an unbelievably unhealthy living environment. She would have been reformed in this time and only then released. In fact it is societies fault that she was not put into care before these murders happened.

And saying her daughter should be murdered is obviously an afterhours comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Spread wrote: »
    As a family newspaper we won't divulge more of the story than necessary. Read the day by day sordid reports of the trial - with pics - in pages 2,3,4,5,7,8,9,10, and 13.

Pages 11 & 12 devoted to Kerry katona's latest meltdown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I don't think that anyone that commits crimes like she did can ever be reformed. I think evil is built into her. I would not like to be living anywhere near her.

I don't think that anyone that commits crimes like she did can ever be reformed. I think evil is built into her. I would not like to be living anywhere near her.

So you believe that evil is geneticly encoded into her. I assume that's what you meant by "built into her".

Do you have evidence of this gene.

And does this mean she's not to blame? That she or anyone who commits a crime has no choice at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Evil is a stupid term bandied about to justify punitive rather than rehabilitation prison terms. Yes, she displayed symptoms of psychopathy, when she was 11. She was reviewed a LOT of times by lots of different psychiatrists before she was released. A close eye would have been kept on her and she has not to anyones knowledge commit any more crimes since her release.

What she did was evil, but calling her evil is incredibly moronic when you know nothing of her except for 2 horrible acts she committed when she was 11, 7 years after the beginning of a cycle of abuse.

I am NOT justifying her actions, but if in her evaluations she was deemed to be no longer a threat to others then why should she be held any longer? To make you feel better about yourself?

Prisons should be primarily for rehabilitation, NOT for punishment. That is not to say Punitive sentences shouldn't be handed down, but they shouldn't exceed far past the point of rehabilitation.

To be fair, it should be both. At the end of the day 2 little kids are not alive because of her.

Social services should be shot over cases like this though. And once someone is a danger she always has that risk again as it is wired into her brain due to her initial up bringing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

How did the teenage girl get acquitted and she convicted? If anything the elder one was nearly more responsible!

Having read your post and knowing more of the detail of the case than you bothered to find out , I have to say I think you and your rabble rousing posts cause a greater threat to society than she does.:mad:
    So you are placing more value on my posts on the Internet than the actions of a child serial killer.

I don't think someone capable of committing such crimes should be ever placed back into society.

Was Hitler evil or just a man capable of committing evil actions. Semantics.

So you are placing more value on my posts on the Internet than the actions of a child serial killer.

I don't think someone capable of committing such crimes should be ever placed back into society.

Was Hitler evil or just a man capable of committing evil actions. Semantics.

It's not semantics. if you say that evil exists and someone can be evil, then you are stating that they have no choice in their actions.
    But you have no evidence of this at all. are you really stating that "evil2 is genetic? In which case it's passed down through generations. Do you want to find the gene and make people affected undergo forced tagging and sterilisation?

The woman in question suffered a horrible childhood. And as a child did something absolutely horrible. At that age she probably had no idea about right or wrong. She had no moral guidance and has abused like mad.
    But since her release from prison she's adapted back into society and become a mother and grandmother.
    Honestly, I'm on her side. She got through the hell of a childhood she was put in. She managed to get over it and make a life for herself.
    You're the one who can't get past it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Grayson wrote: »
    It's not semantics. if you say that evil exists and someone can be evil, then you are stating that they have no choice in their actions.
    But you have no evidence of this at all. are you really stating that "evil2 is genetic? In which case it's passed down through generations. Do you want to find the gene and make people affected undergo forced tagging and sterilisation?

The woman in question suffered a horrible childhood. And as a child did something absolutely horrible. At that age she probably had no idea about right or wrong. She had no moral guidance and has abused like mad.
    But since her release from prison she's adapted back into society and become a mother and grandmother.
    Honestly, I'm on her side. She got through the hell of a childhood she was put in. She managed to get over it and make a life for herself.
    You're the one who can't get past it.

To be fair buddy, I think the family of the kids she killed wont be getting past it either. I would think from your post that you have never had someone you love taken ina violent fashion?

Maybe you're right. I'm in a haze right now. I don't actually remember starting this thread to be honest. I'll come back to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

How did the teenage girl get acquitted and she convicted? If anything the elder one was nearly more responsible!

As far as I recall the other girl was deemed to be a little bit simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

I honestly think that a little girl getting repeatedly raped/sexually assaulted from the age of 4 has more to do with what she did, than her "being evil". I'd imagine if she hadn't been raped/sexually assaulted for 7 years from the age of 4 then she'd probably have been a lovely girl, like most who haven't been through the trauma of being used as a sex toy by their own mother.

Just wondering if her mother was ever charged or what that allowed at the time "as that's just the way things were back then". There's no mention of her being charged with being a nasty f*cking excuse for a mother/human being. The mother is who I'd call evil to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Holy sh1t. I didn't think a crime like this could have happened so long ago.

I mean, what caused it? There were no video games or internet out back then. :eek:

When I call her evil I don't mean she was born evil. I mean she committed some of the most evil acts I've ever heard of, and at such a young age. I'm aware that her upbringing quite possibly was the cause but you have to remember there are hundreds of other kind kids who had an equally bad childhood and were abused who have never even imagined committing such hanous crimes.

I don't see how any psychologists could be confidant she would be no threat to the public again.

I can't imagine anyone would really feel happy with her being your neighbour.
    Just as people wouldn't be happy for someone like Larry Murphy to be living beside them.

allibastor wrote: »
    To be fair buddy, I think the family of the kids she killed wont be getting past it either. I would think from your post that you have never had someone you love taken ina violent fashion?

That's different. In that case you're doing this for revenge, not because she poses a danger to society.

When I call her evil I don't mean she was born evil. I mean she committed some of the most evil acts I've ever heard of, and at such a young age. I'm aware that her upbringing quite possibly was the cause but you have to remember there are hundreds of other kind kids who had an equally bad childhood and were abused who have never even imagined committing such hanous crimes.

I don't see how any psychologists could be confidant she would be no threat to the public again.

Just as people wouldn't be happy for someone like Larry Murphy to be living beside them.

She was 10. He was an adult. She was an abused child who still had time to grow into a normal adult.

And if Larry Murphy went through years of thearpy and was truly penitant, I'd feel ok about his release. The reason no-one does is because he refused all thearpy and doesn't appear to care about anything he did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

It's not that you don't see how, it's that you have a complete lack of understanding of the case. You really just know nothing at all about crime and punishment, rehabilitation, reform, therapy or psychology. You are completely ignorant of all the facts of this case outside of Mary Bell murdered two little boys when she was a little girl.

And then you compare her to Larry Murphy to try to push AH's righteous indignation button, but you don't even see how they aren't the same.

I'm not usually one to say "look at their background they had very little chance" But seriously, look at her fcuking background. Raped from 4 years old, tried to be murdered by her mother more than once, and developed no sense of empathy as a result. If in custody she did, then she deserves to be released, she does deserve a second chance regardless of how heinous her crimes given it was an 11 year old unloved version of her who was abused and raped who committed those crimes, NOT the 23 year old who was released from Prison, it's perfectly reasonable that she completely changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

smash wrote: »
    She carved an N, for Norma who was the other girl with her but she then changed it to an M
    Actually, "this was then changed using the same razor but with a different hand to an "M"".

=-=

Once she is monitored, I'd be happy for her to be released, but not at all happy that she was allowed to be near kids, nevermind allowed to raise one herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

I have no idea who I'm living beside now - so I can't see why it being Mary Bell would make any bloody difference.

Advertisement