Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware of Dion STB2aw09 'Saorview' Set top Box being Sold in Tesco Irish Stores

Options
  • 22-10-2012 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭

Hi there my hubby has told me to let people know that Tesco irish stores appear to have 'Cheap' Set top boxes in with the Saorview stuff and he is almost sure that these boxes will not work on the Irish Mpeg-4 Digital Terrestrial service (Saorview). They are selling around the 30euro mark and the Model Number is Dion STB2aw09. According to my husband they just have Freeview listed on the front (not Freeview HD) and just icons of the UK TV Channels.

I am pretty sure if someone buys one that Tesco would take it back but it just shows you how near we are to the digital switch off and you still have to be careful what set top box to buy. If he has the information wrong dont blame me :) - if anyone has bought one and it is picking up Saorview channels perfectly can you let us know on here please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Product dumping.

I have read the manual.

The lack of HDMI ports would stroke me as a hint towards being an MPEG2 profile Freeview box which is as useful as a chocolate teapot for Ireland.

Stay well clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,533 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

magnumlady wrote: »
    I am pretty sure if someone buys one that Tesco would take it back but it just shows you how near we are to the digital switch off and you still have to be careful what set top box to buy. If he has the information wrong dont blame me :)

The information is correct, discussed earlier this week - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81330978#post81330978 and earlier this year - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056530501

The lad I spoke to in Tesco's Dooradoyle in Limerick didn't have a clue, told him they wouldn't with Saorview and customers who purchased will be returning them.

Advertisement