Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paying customs charges/tax on overseas items you bought ... Do customs get into you?

• 22-10-2012 2:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭

To make a long story short.
    Was talking to a friend earlier and we just randomly got into talking about buying things from overseas and the charges/taxes that come about from irish customs.

We both talked about several costly examples. One that I personally remember was that I once bought a playstation 2 game in late 2004 from canada (It was MGS3 for those gamers among us) It worked out that not only was I getting the game slightly cheaper but getting the game a full 4 months before european shops would sell it. Grand I thought. But when it came to being delivered I was forced to pay an extra 20 euro for "customs" which made paying for the game much more costly than just waiting for it. My friend also mentioned about just buying simple clothing from the states and getting hit big time by customs.

WHICH .... comes to the thread :p why do customs charge so much?
    It feels like they get their 'hooks' into you. if you dont pay, you dont get your package. But its never a small amount such as 5 euro or there other. Its always a significant amount to the price you paid.

Am I alone in thinking custom taxes are just another way for the government to get into you? (might as well add a poll. why not :pac: )

Do customs get into to you ... and charge you well too much more? 13 votes

Yes baby.
    0% 0 votes
    No baby.
    100% 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Am I alone in thinking custom taxes are just another way for the government to get into you?
    Erm, what's that now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

sceptre wrote: »
    Erm, what's that now?

Oh, perhaps you thought that sentence was a type of rorschach test and all you saw was "another way to get into you" :pac: .....

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭OnTheCounter

Whats all this about "getting into you"?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭OnTheCounter

Instead of supporting Irish jobs you supported Canadian jobs so your extra charge goes towards the countries dole bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Instead of supporting Irish jobs you supported Canadian jobs so your extra charge goes towards the countries dole bill.

.... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Customs caught a couple of packages coming my way from China, luckily the two they caught were both under 22 euro in value. Bringing stuff back in a suitcase from America tomorrow, hopefully I won't have any bother.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

Im so sick of all this "buy Irish" drivel. Whats so great about Ireland and its produce? Over-priced most of it.

In fact, Im so sick of being force fed crap about buying Irish, that Im going to actively seek alternative produce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I sent a mobile phone for the purposes of my daughter having a mobile on her trip over the US. Poxy thing was a freebie phone and not even staying in the country. All explained on the customs form.

Revenue charged €56!! :eek:

Cheeky bastards charge duty on the cost of shipping too. Much like the double whack when you pay VRT on the open market value of a car that already includes the VRT.

Shameless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'm always scared of ordering anything from abroad. It's a bit of a lottery. You don't know if they'll charge you or how much they'll charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Do customs get into to you ... and charge you well too much more?

What the F?

Customs and Revenue have fixed rates you can check on their websites. You also got caught for a courier handling charge - they acted on your behalf with Customs/Revenue - this is where a lot of the charges originate. Again, this is a fixed rate available on their websites. I have shipped hundreds of items from around the world and never been "stung" by Revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Buy locally or within the EU, problem solved. 9 times outa 10 I've rarely found large savings beyond the EU anyway. YMMV

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

mitosis wrote: »
    Do customs get into to you ... and charge you well too much more?

What the F?

Customs and Revenue have fixed rates you can check on their websites. You also got caught for a courier handling charge - they acted on your behalf with Customs/Revenue - this is where a lot of the charges originate. Again, this is a fixed rate available on their websites. I have shipped hundreds of items from around the world and never been "stung" by Revenue.

It's not the % rates as much as how they determine the value of the item that is confusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

i remember i got 2 bottles of perfume for the GF, came in 2 boxes one had extra customs charges, the other didn't.

and AFAIK i had used an Irish website (they just shipped it from the states and i got landed with the extra)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

To make a long story short.
    Was talking to a friend earlier and we just randomly got into talking about buying things from overseas and the charges/taxes that come about from irish customs.

We both talked about several costly examples. One that I personally remember was that I once bought a playstation 2 game in late 2004 from canada (It was MGS3 for those gamers among us) It worked out that not only was I getting the game slightly cheaper but getting the game a full 4 months before european shops would sell it. Grand I thought. But when it came to being delivered I was forced to pay an extra 20 euro for "customs" which made paying for the game much more costly than just waiting for it. My friend also mentioned about just buying simple clothing from the states and getting hit big time by customs.

WHICH .... comes to the thread :p why do customs charge so much?
    It feels like they get their 'hooks' into you. if you dont pay, you dont get your package. But its never a small amount such as 5 euro or there other. Its always a significant amount to the price you paid.

Am I alone in thinking custom taxes are just another way for the government to get into you? (might as well add a poll. why not :pac: )

in 2004 I took 3 new laptops through customs on the way back from Canada. I bought them in Canada so this meant I was eligible to claim 15% tax back from Canadian customs. I wasn't charged anything at customs in Dublin (I didn't declare of course)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

MadsL wrote: »
    I sent a mobile phone for the purposes of my daughter having a mobile on her trip over the US. Poxy thing was a freebie phone and not even staying in the country. All explained on the customs form.

Revenue charged €56!! :eek:

Cheeky bastards charge duty on the cost of shipping too. Much like the double whack when you pay VRT on the open market value of a car that already includes the VRT.

Shameless.
    Did you mark it as a gift ?

Thing is customs have draconian powers. Unlike the guards they don't need a warrant to pay you a visit. Unlike the guards they can seize your vehicle for trivialities. Unlike the guards you are guilty until proven innocent.

With customs the rules are simple, they tell you what it's worth on the open market and you have to prove otherwise and/or that you've already paid enough duty on it by showing the receipts.

The only legal ways around are keeping costs below €22 including postage, fees, exchange rate changes etc. Even then it's more a case of "more trouble than it's worth to collect" loophole. Or making the article look so old and decrepit that it has minimal commercial value, in the case of importing second hand vehicles.

And yes the €6 handling fee also sucks.

yes China is dirt cheap for electronics, BUT a lot of the stuff is fake, the CE marking are fake so not really worth spending real money there anyway especially when places in the EU like http://satsklep.pl offer real kit at real prices.

Advertisement