Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED on PIR (HKC) on constantly

Options
  • 22-10-2012 8:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I comissioned the last zone on my house alarm over the week-end. I am using HKC securewatch with wired-id-bus PIR's and HKC 1070 panel.

All is o.k. apart from one PIR which has its LED on constantly. Do I need to replace this PIR. All of the other PIRs in the Zone are behaving as expected. I didnt change any of the jumpers from the factory settings.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

What's in the room with the Pir ?

Just remember if you are in front of the PIR it will detect you ..how are you checking that the led is always on ?Does the keypad say that that point is constantly open ? Check the data wire at both the Pir and panel . Max point ID sensors to a zone is 10 .

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mrhd

The room is a bedroom and the PIR isn't facing a window/direct-sunlight. There are 5 PIR's in the Zone and no other devices.

I normally go in and stand still, all the others go out after about 5 seconds but I have stood there for minutes and this one doesnt go out. I could see the blue glow this morning even when there was nobody in there.

It picked up the PIR immediately when I was doing the 'Add Zone Devices' step on Saturday at the panel. However when I try to set the alarm the RKP complains that the PIR is Open.

I will double check the Data connections to-night

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Facing a window & in direct sunlight is not a good location anyway.
    Have you tried it in another position?
    As TB said is the zone actually remaining open?
    Have you tried powering it down & up again?
    If you do get this working I'd recommend turning off the LED. That bright blue is a bit much for a bedroom.

The blue light Is great at night in a hallway ;)
    What way have you it programmed ? What point is it ? Try swapping it with one of your other ones and see if the same thing happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Down power the detector and power it back up. If the LED stays on I would have it replaced as there is an issue with the detector.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mrhd

altor wrote: »
    Down power the detector and power it back up. If the LED stays on I would have it replaced as there is an issue with the detector.

Thanks. that did the trick. I disconnected the pir from the 12v supply and reconnected it. LED goes on an off as expected now and no more open zone errors on the rkp.

mrhd wrote: »
    Thanks. that did the trick. I disconnected the pir from the 12v supply and reconnected it. LED goes on an off as expected now and no more open zone errors on the rkp.

Thanks for getting back to us, good to see you get it sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 yourmanlynch

Sorry for jumping in on this thread but while on the subject of PIR's id thought id mention the other day I was wiring a PIR in my hallway. I have it as an Access zome for the entry and exit. But any time I tried to set the alarm it was saying zone open.. I done a walk test on that zone and it said the alarm was open and tamper ok..so I rang HKC and the chap in technical said if its constantly saying its open it might be ground loop... The way I have it wired is A to A and tampers with the tampers so 4 wires basically. but he said short the tamper at the panel. I done that by putting the staple across the tampers and done another walk test and it said closed and tamper ok. long story short, it turned out to be the ground loop he was saying. In the end I replaced the run of cable going to the PIR. I forgot to ask him before hand though is there anyway of fixing the whole ground loop thing without having to replace the cable like I had done?

thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I think he means there may have been a short on the cable possibly across 2 cores. If you have a multi meter you could check the resistance between all cores. You could also wire the zone & tampers on 1 pair using duel EOL resistors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 yourmanlynch

Ohright thanks.. I heard about dual EOL before but I went for wiring with 4 core. What do you reckon is a better way for wiring, using 4 wires or with dual EOL ? I Know its less cable, but is it more secure ?

Ohright thanks.. I heard about dual EOL before but I went for wiring with 4 core. What do you reckon is a better way for wiring, using 4 wires or with dual EOL ? I Know its less cable, but is it more secure ?

Duel end of line enables you to cover the tamper and alarm using 2 cores.
    Better for picking up on shorts on a cable also.
    You still need 2 for the power.

Advertisement