Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving into rental property

Options
  • 22-10-2012 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

hi guys,il be moving into an apartment next week with my girlfriend,im just wondering what the state of play usually is with upc,gas and electricity bills?
    i have never rented before so not sure,the current tennant will be leaving on the 31st and we move in prob the 2nd,do i just need to ring the providers and change account name?any info would be great!
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Tenant is usually responsible for all bills relating to the property; i.e. bins, gas, electricity, cable/Sky, telephone, etc.

As you've not rented before, I'm assuming that you have no history of being a utilities customer. Be prepared to pay deposits on both - usually E300-400 if you don't put them on Direct Debit.

HTH!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The only utility bill that you might not be responsible for is the bins; quite often the landlord will pay that charge and it will be included in your rent (especially for an apartment).

Everything else is up to you. The ESB will need to be changed into your name; the letting agent/landlord will probably sort that with you when you sign the lease. Same goes for gas if applicable. The rest is up to you to sort yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Tenant is usually responsible for all bills relating to the property; i.e. bins, gas, electricity, cable/Sky, telephone, etc.

As you've not rented before, I'm assuming that you have no history of being a utilities customer. Be prepared to pay deposits on both - usually E300-400 if you don't put them on Direct Debit.

HTH!
    djimi wrote: »
    The only utility bill that you might not be responsible for is the bins; quite often the landlord will pay that charge and it will be included in your rent (especially for an apartment).

Everything else is up to you. The ESB will need to be changed into your name; the letting agent/landlord will probably sort that with you when you sign the lease. Same goes for gas if applicable. The rest is up to you to sort yourself.

Perhaps I should clarify. By the bin charges, I meant this: Usually the landlord pays the yearly charge. The tenant pays the tag charges. For example. Our landlord pays the yearly charge. We pay E6 tag charges fortnightly (or whatever the charge is in your area and the frequency of the bin lifts.)

Most apartment buildings (at least the ones Ive come across) will have a communal bin section, and as such the bins will not run off tags. Whatever cost there is for the bins is part of the rent and the tenant does not have to pay any extra for them.

It would only be where each property has its own bin that a charge would come into play, but that would be rare for an apartment building to have individual bins for each property.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Take a reading on the meter when you move in and call asap and get the account into your name and give the reading. If your Landlord is with you when you move in ask him if he wants to check the meter reading.
    Its better to pay by direct debit with all providers in the Republic afaik. In the North pre-pay is 5% cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

hi guys,il be moving into an apartment next week with my girlfriend,im just wondering what the state of play usually is with upc,gas and electricity bills?
    i have never rented before so not sure,the current tennant will be leaving on the 31st and we move in prob the 2nd,do i just need to ring the providers and change account name?any info would be great!
    Thanks

Take a photo of the electricity, gas (and water?) meter(s) when you move in showing the index and the meter serial number. Agree a time with the LL or their agent as meters for flats are often in locked communal areas. Contact the utility yourself and tell them you want to do a change of tenancy, and give them the reading.

Also suggest you find out if you are being provided with an inventory/schedule of condition when you move in and confirm if the property is being professionally cleaned and if so by whom and can you have a copy of the invoice (so you can clean to the same standard on moving out). Take photos of any damage noted on the inventory and especially anything that isn't. Turn on every light, the heating, oven, extractor fans, all taps/showers, flush toilets, check the fridge/freezer is cold, check dishwasher and washing m/c and that all cupboards, draws and bins are empty. Go room-to-room and check the cleanliness of every horizontal surface - skirting board, wardrobe, bathroom light, top of kitchen cupboards and identify and note any marks on floor, walls, windows and ceilings. Check all furniture is clean, empty and undamaged. Take photos of the location of every piece of furniture.

The schedule of condition for a one bed unfurnished flat I rented in the UK was 8 pages including photos, to give you some idea of how a professional landlord would approach things.

When all that is done sit down and have a cup of tea!

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

cheers for the info everyone!am i still liable for deposits etc if its not a new connection just a change of tenancy?i pretty much just wanted to clarify if i had to get meter readings then just ring up and change name and account details!will obviously have to meet landlord to get keys,that will be the day we move in though and i didnt wanna be without electricity or gas etc!

Yeah it doesnt matter if its just changing the name on the property; as far as the company are concerned its a new account for you and unless they have had previous dealings with you they will most likely look for a deposit.

I think you can avoid paying the deposit if you sign up to pay by direct debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

ok cool,cheers for all the info guys,much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Dublin21

Just FYI when you leave an apartment a lot of the time the accounts are changed back into the landlords name and then when the new tenant moves in they get the names changed over again.
    Its rare that you will actually be without gas/electricity.

I have rented a few different properties and went with bord gais everytime.
    I signed the electricity of my current apartment over to bord gais and was told that id need to give a 300e deposit even though i've been customers with them before (albeit only for the gas) and i was signing up through DD!
    The didn't charge me it in the end but not sure if that was down to error or the fact i have the gas with them also.

The previous tenants had a different supplier which i called first to check out rates etc and they told me i'd have to pay 300e even with DD due to the fact i was a new customer.

If your parents are with bord gais/esb you can usually get a guarantor letter and they will then waiver the fee.

• Advertisement
Advertisement