Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

primary care centre in east galway city

Options
  • 22-10-2012 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

(Not sure if this is the right forum, please move if not.)

Wondering about the 'Primary Care Centre' that is over beside the Lidl in Doughiska - whats the story with it, and what is it for? Tried googling about primary care centres in general and what they are supposed to be/do, seems like its just another doctors surgery but I guess I'm missing something important. Would be good to know if in an emergency I should be going there instead across the city to the university hospital...

thanks,
    lamps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

lampsie wrote: »
    Would be good to know if in an emergency I should be going there instead across the city to the university hospital...

Absoultey not, unless

1) It's the type of emergency for which you would consult your GP first anyway, AND

2) You are already registered there - or you think that you look miserable enough that walking up to reception and saying "I'm not registered, don't have an appointment, any chance I could see a doctor?" will work.

AFAIK, it's just a souped-up GP practise - with other healh professions (eg physios, public health nurses) and related services (eg CWO) working there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Primary Care centres *are meant* to house the community outreach style teams with doctors, community nurses, social workers, physios, OT's etc; I know a few years ago the PCC team for East Galway were being housed between rooms in Merlin Park and on top of the Day Hospital in Ballybane.

I dont believe it to be an emergency place, it's done by appointments or drop in between certain hours, or else an office base for staff. Dont go bringing any half cut off fingers in! It's about keeping people out of hospital long term and in the community.

http://galwayindependent.com/stories/item/2142/2012-18/Taoiseach-officially-opens-Primary-Care-Centre

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Thank you both for the replies, finally understand what the care centres are meant to be for :)
    cheers,
    lampsie

Advertisement