Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carton Waterfall C & C Please

• 22-10-2012 10:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Posted up one of these a while back but this is an advance of the C and C I got the last time and want to see is the image any way better than the last and If I can get some criticism on it.

Here is my original:
    cartonwaterfall.jpg

And here is one I took yesterday:
    cartonwatermark.jpg

What do/don't you like about these?

Im using a variabe ND filter in the second and I'm using an 8 second exposure time and at F14.

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I love the second one!

Where about in Carton is that? Never seen it before

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd bump up the contrast a bit - the blacks aren't very solid in either shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

Tallon wrote: »
    I love the second one!

Where about in Carton is that? Never seen it before

It's down by the shell house. If your driving in from the leixlip road entrance, you go over the bridge and then head right and walk down along the river there.
    i'd bump up the contrast a bit - the blacks aren't very solid in either shot.

I was afraid of doing anything with the black as afraid it would darken the shot too much and dont want to loose the trees at all. will try it now anyway and post it up. ;)

This any better?

cartonwatermarkmorecontrast.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I think it's a big improvement on the original. Composition is better (imo), less cluttered more open, better sky, you've managed to get all of the waterfall in.

As suggested by magicbastarder, I think it might benefit from an increase in the black level. The highlights are bright enough.

To my eye, there's a slight HDR look to it. Did you use "fill light" in Lightroom or similar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

has that been run through photomatix? sky looks a bit odd around the edges of the tree on the right hand side

i prefer the first picture, but agree with magicbastarder on the contrast issue

It's not HDR as Im not sure how to do that really.

I have a regular sort of quick editing that I do and its Highlights/Shadows, then up saturation a little on some colors, cropped the image and added in some black gradients here and there.

Here is the before for all to see what I was working with.

original.jpg

ok, makes sense now!
    i think all i would do is adjust the blacks, and sharpen a little perhaps. really like the first image still. the falls look great!

ok, makes sense now!
    i think all i would do is adjust the blacks, and sharpen a little perhaps. really like the first image still. the falls look great!

Yeah upped the contrast in post #5 to see so might leave it with that! I only know my basic functions in photoshop and thats what limits me! Am very tempted to get lightroom but no funds for it at present!!

Thank you for your help Dirtyghettokid!!

! Am very tempted to get lightroom but no funds for it at present!!

why not try out a trial version? that's what i did with aperture (apple software) .. tried it, liked it.. it gave me time to save for it!

• Advertisement

why not try out a trial version? that's what i did with aperture (apple software) .. tried it, liked it.. it gave me time to save for it!

I tried that before and loved it, must try get it again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

The water down from the falls in #2 looks like ice. I normally yawn at people turning falling water into cotton, it's so overdone and such a cliche but #2 here is really appealing. Well done.

Advertisement