Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dogs and fireworks

• 22-10-2012 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

im sure it has been discussed here at length. was never an issue with my dog until last night. was out walking him and we heard to loud bangs close by. i could see the first unsettled him but when he heard the second he just legged it back to the house. i found him sitting at the front door.

last night he wouldnt leave the house to go pee before bed and this morning he was still the same. thats a long time for a dog to be holding on.

is there anything i can do? ive read about giving dogs sedatives. are they really of any use? is there anyway to train a dog to get used to the noise? like giving a treat every time he hears a crack?

please advise!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

have had kids in our area letting off bangers and fireworks every evening for past 3 weeks and our wee one gets so panicked by them. Ive tried turning up the tv or radio so loud but she still hears them. tried the treat idea too but she has no idea in a treat just sits there shaking listening out for the next bang.
    I had to go out to my parents in country a couple of evenings so was so distressed. she'll be spending halloween night out there for sure!
    would love to know also if there is something to help them when the bangers start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

Thankfully there is not too much trouble with bangers where I live but when the odd goes off, one of my dogs goes mental so I just keep them inside. They are ok once inside the house. Although my dogs don't seem to be afraid, one just barks a lot.

I believe you can get something like Rescue Remedy for dogs which I have seen recommended before. Could be worth looking into. Might help calm your dogs a bit. Can't be good for them holding their pee for extended periods like that. Would they go outside to go if you go with them and stand in the garden with them?
    Also I think you (the owner) are not meant to react when you hear a banger. You just carry on as if nothing has happened and you dog should (hopefully) respond to your calm demeanor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Odd one or two where I live. But will get worse :(

Its her first halloween aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

he has been a little bit better since. has wandered out intot the back garden. but im sure later he'll be freaked out when he starts hearing the bangers again. looks like no evening walks this week and will probably pack him off to the kennels next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39 biancab

yea you can get tabs called serene um might be wrong spelling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

On Halloween night (and New Years), we have to sedate 2 of our dogs. One gets into such a state that he pees and vomits from fear, while the other isn't as bad but still needs something to calm him. Last night I found him under our bed, in the corner, with his head in a paper bag - hiding from the bangers outside. The rest of our dogs aren't bothered so we leave them to it.

We get tablets from the vet each year (cannot remember the name of them for the life of me!). Our vet is always packed on Halloween day because of so many people getting animals sedated (mostly cats). Teh vet checks their chest to make sure everything is in order and gives us tablets to give a bit later on. I know there is an injection too but we have always opted for the tablets. One is usually heavily sedated (appears drunk and sleeps through most of it) while the other is given a more mild sedative so is just sleepy but better able to function.

We tried all the tricks possible to help keep the dogs calm (turning up the tv, ignoring the barking etc. etc.) but ended up resorting to sedation because the poor things were crawling the walls with stress. We also opt out of the whole "trick or treat" thing - lights all off and door bell disconnected, tend to just hide away and watch movies with zonked dogs.

A few people have recommended Kalm Aid to us, and also Rescue Remidy - we tried both and they wasn't strong enough to calm my 2 but it could work for a less stressed dog (I think), take the edge off maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

My dog was 14 months old when we observed a large bonfire with fire crackers and loud fire works / rockets. She was fine and is still relaxed with loud noises and bright lights flashing. A good relaxed calm dog owner can relay calmness too a dog too enhance a dogs calm energy..

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Try a thundershirt - there is a link somewhere on here to them. It was recommended for my collie who's a nervous wreck at the best of times:D

At the time I couldn't afford one, so improvised:o. We 'borrowed' on of our sons old t-shirts (tight fitting) and put it on the dog - it didn't cure it but made him a lot more settled. Course we fell about laughing :D:D

Worth a try?

DSC_0626.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

Well my dog is 11 years old now and believe me, i have tried everything. The only thing that works for me is to get her sedated but now she is older the vet just gives me a pre-med now instead, which isn't nearly as effective. Of course where i live, all the kids are grown ups now so there aren't as many fireworks anyway. But even one or two stresses my dog out big time and I am terrified she will just drop dead in front of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭buster180

This stuff is very good you can get it from the vet. I used to use it on my dog when she was alive it worked with her. Before she used to be a nervous wreck around this time of the year.
    http://www.petco.com/product/10534/Comfort-Zone-Diffuser-with-DAP-for-Dogs.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

God that's horrific, my neighbour has a beautiful collie who is traumatised by the bloody fireworks. I've been very lucky. The first time my guy saw/heard them he just looked at me to see what I thought, I didn't react at all so he decided they were not worth worrying about. But like I say, I was lucky. They seem to be going on for weeks these days too.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

im sure it has been discussed here at length. was never an issue with my dog until last night. was out walking him and we heard to loud bangs close by. i could see the first unsettled him but when he heard the second he just legged it back to the house. i found him sitting at the front door.

last night he wouldnt leave the house to go pee before bed and this morning he was still the same. thats a long time for a dog to be holding on.

is there anything i can do? ive read about giving dogs sedatives. are they really of any use? is there anyway to train a dog to get used to the noise? like giving a treat every time he hears a crack?

please advise!!

I am going through the exact same thing with my 2 yr. old springer spaniel (nervous at best of times) but wont go outside to do her "business";) Since the bangers started we have to carry her outside. She is used to 3-4 walks a day but now wont go outside the door. Thinking maybe the sedative route (really dont want to though), will ring the vet later, just pitiful to see the state she is getting in, the bangers are going on all night for the last week at least....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Try a thundershirt - there is a link somewhere on here to them. It was recommended for my collie who's a nervous wreck at the best of times:D

At the time I couldn't afford one, so improvised:o. We 'borrowed' on of our sons old t-shirts (tight fitting) and put it on the dog - it didn't cure it but made him a lot more settled. Course we fell about laughing :D:D

Worth a try?

DSC_0626.jpg

Just had a leaflet from Equipet dropped through my door for the Thundershirt. They are selling them at the momemnt for €39.99.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Does anyone know if it is possible for a dog to actually die of fright from fireworks?

All my dogs are terrified but the collie is off the scale - she goes under the bed and one year I actually got such a fright as I went to get her she didnt seem to be breathing - I actually thought for a second she was dead - she was ok though.

I use a bit of rescue remedy - I think it does a little but not loads. I never wanted to go down the sedation route and especially not now as the collie is on medication anyway. Tried the thundershirt but it made her worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭buster180

maggiepip wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it is possible for a dog to actually die of fright from fireworks?

All my dogs are terrified but the collie is off the scale - she goes under the bed and one year I actually got such a fright as I went to get her she didnt seem to be breathing - I actually thought for a second she was dead - she was ok though.

I use a bit of rescue remedy - I think it does a little but not loads. I never wanted to go down the sedation route and especially not now as the collie is on medication anyway. Tried the thundershirt but it made her worse.

Unfortunately yes, it might be worth your while putting the dog into kennels or with a relative friend who lives out in the countryside or where fireworks are too loud.

buster180 wrote: »
    Unfortunately yes, it might be worth your while putting the dog into kennels or with a relative friend who lives out in the countryside or where fireworks are too loud.

Oh my God:eek: how so? Do you have any examples or real cases to tell? You really scaring me:(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Jeez Maggiepip, that's horrible for your poor dog. I haven't heard of a dog dying from the fright, I must say.
    The problem with sedatives is that, generally, it's ACP (Acepromazine) that's used. As I understand it, this is no longer available for dogs, which I must say, is about time.
    To put it simply, ACP sedates the body, but not the brain. It's the same sedative often used for dogs who are difficult to clip. So, the body is in a state of torpor, but the brain knows exactly what is going on... but the dog can do nothing about it due to his sedated body. I can only imagine how utterly terrifying this is, and it is no surprise that dogs treated with ACP for behavioural problems often get worse and worse as time goes on.
    Not only that, but ACP disinhibits aggressive behaviour, and so a dog who would never normally bite, may bite. Or a dog who would not normally bite hard, bites hard.
    So, in short, sedation is no way to treat firework phobia: it is entirely inappropriate to use for any behavioural problem, whether it's fear of fireworks, or fear of being clipped.

The main problem, which I think is highlighted in this thread, is that firework phobia needs to start being treated for many months before Halloween ever comes along. Trying to deal with it once the bangers and fireworks are going off is too late. The treatment protocol involves very gradually desensitising the dog to firework noises, starting them off at a very low level and building up the volume, using a recording of firework noises. The dog should never be exposed to a sound level so high that it elicits a reaction, during the course of the treatment.
    The dog also needs to be counterconditioned by introducing food, games, fun whilst the firework recordings are happening at a very low volume.
    It is slow, painstaking, and gradual, and during the process the dog should not be exposed to the fully-fledged sound of fireworks, which is why trying to deal with it at this time of the year is a waste of time.
    In support of the above program of gradual desensitisation and counterconditioning, gear such as DAP (Adaptil) Diffusers, Thundershirts (some dogs, like Maggiepip's, may need to be gradually introduced to wearing a Thundershirt), stuffed Kongs/Stag Bars/tripe sticks (or the like), soft blankets piled high for dog to snuggle into, Kalm-Aid (which I'm a bit skeptical of) or Zylkene, and in bad cases, appropriate psychoactive drugs may need to be used at least for a short time.
    For anyone who has a youngster who hasn't lived through a Halloween yet, make it your business to do fun stuff whilst fireworks are going off: let out a "woohoo!" when a firework goes off and throw a toy for your pup immediately, or scatter treats on the floor immediately, or do anything else which makes your dog "laugh":o, but do it immediately, each time you hear a banger or firework going off.
    For those who have dogs who suffer so badly, and who'd like to go through the above process when it's all over for this year, it might indeed be a good option to get your dog offside for the few nights around Halloween, be it kennels, rural relatives, or an excuse to take off on a family holiday to the countryside for the duration :)

DBB wrote: »
    Jeez Maggiepip, that's horrible for your poor dog. I haven't heard of a dog dying from the fright, I must say.
    The problem with sedatives is that, generally, it's ACP (Acepromazine) that's used. As I understand it, this is no longer available for dogs, which I must say, is about time.
    To put it simply, ACP sedates the body, but not the brain. It's the same sedative often used for dogs who are difficult to clip. So, the body is in a state of torpor, but the brain knows exactly what is going on... but the dog can do nothing about it due to his sedated body. I can only imagine how utterly terrifying this is, and it is no surprise that dogs treated with ACP for behavioural problems often get worse and worse as time goes on.
    Not only that, but ACP disinhibits aggressive behaviour, and so a dog who would never normally bite, may bite. Or a dog who would not normally bite hard, bites hard.
    So, in short, sedation is no way to treat firework phobia: it is entirely inappropriate to use for any behavioural problem, whether it's fear of fireworks, or fear of being clipped.

The main problem, which I think is highlighted in this thread, is that firework phobia needs to start being treated for many months before Halloween ever comes along. Trying to deal with it once the bangers and fireworks are going off is too late. The treatment protocol involves very gradually desensitising the dog to firework noises, starting them off at a very low level and building up the volume, using a recording of firework noises. The dog should never be exposed to a sound level so high that it elicits a reaction, during the course of the treatment.
    The dog also needs to be counterconditioned by introducing food, games, fun whilst the firework recordings are happening at a very low volume.
    It is slow, painstaking, and gradual, and during the process the dog should not be exposed to the fully-fledged sound of fireworks, which is why trying to deal with it at this time of the year is a waste of time.
    In support of the above program of gradual desensitisation and counterconditioning, gear such as DAP (Adaptil) Diffusers, Thundershirts (some dogs, like Maggiepip's, may need to be gradually introduced to wearing a Thundershirt), stuffed Kongs/Stag Bars/tripe sticks (or the like), soft blankets piled high for dog to snuggle into, Kalm-Aid (which I'm a bit skeptical of) or Zylkene, and in bad cases, appropriate psychoactive drugs may need to be used at least for a short time.
    For anyone who has a youngster who hasn't lived through a Halloween yet, make it your business to do fun stuff whilst fireworks are going off: let out a "woohoo!" when a firework goes off and throw a toy for your pup immediately, or scatter treats on the floor immediately, or do anything else which makes your dog "laugh":o, but do it immediately, each time you hear a banger or firework going off.
    For those who have dogs who suffer so badly, and who'd like to go through the above process when it's all over for this year, it might indeed be a good option to get your dog offside for the few nights around Halloween, be it kennels, rural relatives, or an excuse to take off on a family holiday to the countryside for the duration :)

Well thanks be to god you havent heard of a dog dying from fright:eek: bloody hell I got scared there - I looked it up and cant find anything that says a dog can actually die of fright from fireworks......they can die of injuries from running scared alright.

I should have done the desensitization thing but I didnt:o Thanks for the very informative information on the sedation medication - I never did want to use this route. Maybe I should try the thundershirt again at short intervals (when I put it on her last year she seemed to shut down completely and lay rigid and wouldnt move) so to me it seemed to be doing more harm than good. For the first six months after we adopted her I used a DAP plug in and I actually used it last halloween as well (had forgotten that) but it didnt seem to do loads either (or perhaps she would have been worse without it. Ill try some of your other advice also. Hopefully this year will be quieter (we have had none yet) some years are quieter than others. Thanks a mil!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Maggiepip, does she wear an ordinary dog coat? If so, does she show any sign of the shut-down reaction you're seeing with the Thundershirt?

Maggiepip, does she wear an ordinary dog coat? If so, does she show any sign of the shut-down reaction you're seeing with the Thundershirt?

No, Ive never put a normal dog coat on her, but funnily enough the harness I use on her which is this one http://www.ruffwear.com/Web-Master-Harness_2
    makes her "shut down" to a very very mild degree when I first put it on in the house, but as soon as we get out walking she is totally oblivious to it and has a whale of a time - completely unaware she is wearing it. Then we get home and she "shuts down" a little again until I take it off her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

Poor dogs around my area are going nuts with the bangers and fireworks. Really feel for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Theres a day care in Clare taking in dogs till midnight to avoid firework frights if anyone lives near!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭gmf1024

In NO way affiliated with these people but it has a number of tips for Hallowe'en on their page.

It's probably a bit late now but further down [around the 9th October] there are links that can help in incrementally desensitizing your dog to loud noises. It also mentions an alternative to thunder shirts.

Our guy has gone on "holidays" while this extended madness continues :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Reading this I feel very lucky that bangers make my dogs angry rather than afraid. It's probably a lot less hassle to stop them barking than to try make them not scared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

So it begins, bangers already going off and dog is under the computer desk here with me, nevermind the door bell issues she has. I was hoping it was going to rain but looking outside I don't think it will.

Its her first halloween. bangers goin mad! Shes either bedide me or under my legs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I have an experience with that stuff. It was given to me to help Harley with his fear of the car and I didn't realise what exactly it does. We got him to where we were going and he was lying there with his eyes rolling in terror and shaking. He even growled at me which he's never done before or since. I could have cried, he was so distressed.

Harley for the first year, is a bit put out by the fire works. Nowhere near as bad a described by other owners, he's just running from one end of the house to the other grumbling, groaning and barking softly. He's definitely nervous. He does not react to noises on the tv, he ignores the crow bangers in the area too, he really doesn't seem to care less about noise. I think there must be something about the way the fire works echo or something that makes him realise it's not a normal noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Assassins Creed

I put them in their crate with blankets covering it. Found its the only way to keep them calm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I wonder is there such thing as earplugs for pets?? All is well here, firework neighbours must be out this year! I was out at my friends house earlier in a pretty big town, fireworks left right and center. Poor dogs barking their heads off around the place. Hoping all animals are safe this Halloween.

• Advertisement

Fireworks the lot round our plce, lol aserrp! She was afraid whem we where out tho

Advertisement