Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dogs and fireworks

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

My two are going mad - gonna be a long night!

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

It's going to be a long night for sure!

My girl is 11 now, she wasn't too bad in the run up to Halloween, in fact she ignored every firework there was. Of course tonight is a different story. She was just running around demented - barking, trembling, ears back, tail down. I tried to distract her with treats which worked for me, she is sleeping now. Thankfully I think the fireworks are dying off now. I'm just afraid I have fed her too many treats and she will vomit or something. i never give her treats but just didn't know what to do tonight. I was quite unprepared.

Kept my cat indoors all day too, he has been quite skittish but very good as well. Not as bad as the dog.

Whoever said about the day care centre, that is such a good idea! Wish there was something like it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 khaleesi

Just moved from the country were there is no fireworks into town today with 3 dogs not a very clever move on my behalf :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

I put them in their crate with blankets covering it. Found its the only way to keep them calm.

Works for me also. Lights off, no drugs, thunder shirts, poochy woos or poor baby crap. Dog nice an snug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

axle108 wrote: »
    Works for me also. Lights off, no drugs, thunder shirts, poochy woos or poor baby crap. Dog nice an snug.

well aren't you great not having to use any of that "crap". You're lucky you have a dog who doesn't get upset at the noise aren't you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

axle108 wrote: »

Works for some dogs. Would make others lose their mind with fear.
    You can't paint them all with the one big brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

One of mine is terrified of bangers but I think after last night he's now actually alright. The continued repeating of the bangs throughout the evening, as opposed to the odd bang out of the blue, I think made him realise that there's nothing to worry about. My other dog helped out a lot because she's completely unaffected by them and just sat on the sofa chewing her kong all night. I think the gsd realised at some point in the night that he was worrying about nothing. He eventually came out from under the table and sat up on the sofa with the lab and didn't seem phased with the noise after a while.

Tonight he's happier than he's been in months, he's like a new dog.

Advertisement