Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to buy 20s style (flapper) dress in Dublin

• 22-10-2012 11:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭

Hey guys! Just wondering if anyone knows here I could pick up a 20s style dress for reasonably cheap? Need a black flapper dress (with lots of beading and/or fringing) for a Halloween costume, and as it's for a one off I'd rather not spend lots! Not keen on the idea of buying online as I wouldn't have time to sort something else if that went wrong! I've seen the ones on The Costume Shop's site and I'm not a massive fan - the idea of them is great but they look kinda tacky. :/

Any help is much appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

If you haven't seen any in shops, would you consider making one? Should be pretty easy if you have access to a sewing machine; you can buy tassel fringing in places like Hickeys or the Woolen Mills shop, and could then just sew it onto a simple shift dress (ideally the more 'shapeless' the better - a long slip could work well for this). Then accessorise it up like mad - feather boa, long strings of beads, ribbon around your hair, 20s makeup... the focus should really be on your accessories rather than the dress itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

If you haven't seen any in shops, would you consider making one? Should be pretty easy if you have access to a sewing machine; you can buy tassel fringing in places like Hickeys or the Woolen Mills shop, and could then just sew it onto a simple shift dress (ideally the more 'shapeless' the better - a long slip could work well for this). Then accessorise it up like mad - feather boa, long strings of beads, ribbon around your hair, 20s makeup... the focus should really be on your accessories rather than the dress itself.

This is the fallback plan! I don't have a lot of time, but if I have nothing by Saturday, I'll buy up everything in Hickeys and decorate a plain shift dress, as you suggested. I'd love to find something to avoid having to do this, but it's definitely an option! Thank you. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

New Look have this on their website but only in a 14. You may get other sizes in the shops and it's not too dear for a one off.

Or they have this one which you could add some inexpensive beading to, to make it look more authentic. I think this one is in shops at the moment. It comes in a light colour too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I saw a fringed dress in Penneys on Mary Street yesterday, very close to the entrance. I don't know how much it was and can't quite remember if it looked much like a flapper dress but it's something to bear in mind anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lazy girl

saw one in Zara south king street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Just checked there, alas I don't think I can justify the cost! :/ Thank you though! Spotted this on eBay, alas the auction ends too late for me. This is exactly what I'm looking for really!!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ennis81

Penneys, bought a pennys long top/ dress couple of weeks back in with black and white fringing (Pavillions Swords)

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭mashling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

mashling wrote: »

That'd be lovely to wear again, too. Shame to waste a dress, just for Halloween!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Nicolacork

Has anyone seen one recently? I have a 1920's themed party next week. Preferably a black fringed one but not a costume shop one as I think the quality is really cheap. In an ideal world I wouldn't want to spend more than €30. oh and it needs to be in Dublin. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

The Swop Shop in Temple Bar has one from H&M, not sure how you go about buying it though! They only posted yesterday so I'm guessing it's still available https://www.facebook.com/swopshop

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ennis81

Saw a few lovely flapper dresses yesterday in Jane Norman in Pavillions swords, they had a few styles in black and grey;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Hey, I'm also looking for one for a Prohibition Ball!

If anyone has seen one, let me know!

Advertisement