Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pill Question

Options
  • 22-10-2012 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi

I have been on the pill for the last 9 years without a break, im in my late 20's and i have been with my partner for 9 years also. We are hoping to start a family in the next 1.5 2 years and i want to know because i have been on the pill for so long with it take longer in getting pregnant and when is the right time to come off it before trying?

I know every person is different but would like to hear your view if you have been in the same boat.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I don't know if this is true, but I've HEARD that you actually have a higher chance of getting pregnant when you first come off the pill (the first couple of months I think), but then after that it's more difficult for a year or two.

I've heard this from a couple of different sources, one of whom got pregnant very shortly after coming off the pill.

Again, no idea if any of this is true or not, but worth looking into incase you need to make the most of the first month or two after you come off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

woodchuck wrote: »
    I don't know if this is true, but I've HEARD that you actually have a higher chance of getting pregnant when you first come off the pill (the first couple of months I think), but then after that it's more difficult for a year or two.

I've heard this from a couple of different sources, one of whom got pregnant very shortly after coming off the pill.

Again, no idea if any of this is true or not, but worth looking into incase you need to make the most of the first month or two after you come off it.

actually this is exactly what my GP told me. Myself and my husband are planning on starting a family next year and I was talking to her about potential problems re: conception. She said that when you come off the Pill you're almost hyper fertile for the first few months.
    Guess we'll see after Christmas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Moved from tLL

Please remember, no medical advice allowed

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

It takes around 6 months to a year to get your cycle back to normal.

I'd suggest if you aren't ready to have a baby for 1.5 - 2 years consider an alternative method of contraception (condoms) or waiting till closer to the time when you feel you are ready to get pregnant.

Begin to prepare your body. Ensure you are a healthy weight, eating well, cut down on alcohol and stop smoking. Also start taking folic acid.

When your periods do return to normal I would start keeping a record, this will help calculating your ovulation time and also be very useful if you did have any problems trying to conceive.

Best of luck pet xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 18 stressed27

Thank you all for your replies. I think i was starting to freak out thinking i was after ruining my chances because of being on the pill for so long....thank you all for putting me at ease!

@Penny Dreadful - good luck with the family planning, i hope everything works out for ye....exciting times ahead :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement